sore hocks /mild

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
While having a cuddle with Belle i inspected her feet she has tiny bare patches one one each heel ,if you know what i mean! the size of a rice krispie ,

The rest of her feet are very well covered with thick wooly fur and infact the patches are covered by longer fur growing around it,

But the little bits of skin i can see are deep pink and dry,i just dont want it to get worse if i can deal with it now,

Also why are some buns more prone to sore hocks than other .I know it`s often linked with certain breeds and the thickness of their fur but Belle`s fur on her feet are quite thick?

check and see if her nails are at a proper length ..long nails will throw the body alignment off

also check the surface that she is usually on to see if that could be an irritant .
ActuallyI have a bun who used to sit in his wet food (eats a soft diet) andI believe that the sore hocks was from that

if it worsens you may need to bandage but try the apllications first .
You can apply either bagbalm or a small amount of neosporin to the area

Thanks Angieluv, her nails were trimmed 2 weeks ago.

she is on wooden/laminate flooring with mixture of rugs,towels and cotton quilt one of her favourite places to sit is in a children`s sized nylon tunnel,

she is unreliable in eating her ceacls sp? and does sit on them sometimes but cleans her feet fully when she notices they are dirty! Is bag balm or neosporin available in the uk am wondering if it`s like "Vasaline" we have in uk?

look for antibiotic ointments that have the same generic ingredients

nothing else

http://www.neosporin.com/firstaid/neosporin.asp?sec=0&page=16

There are 3 antibiotics contained in plain neosporin..
bacitracin,neomycin,polymycin

you do not want pramoxine
try to find the equivalent under another trade name.
That would mean looking at labels or even asking the pharmacist

Bag balm is similar to udder cream which is sold at farm stores.

Vaseline would be ok but it doesn't do anything other than protect the skin. It doesn't have any antibiotics in it.

Sorry, ihavent used it. An old breeders remedy is prepararion h on the hocks too in case you have that around.

I read somewhere about flat footed bunny gets sore hocks and she does rather plonk the back feet esp the heels down as she hops around other than that i can`t see how she`s got them am doing the vaseline and their looking better,have checked his and they are fine:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back