Sore hocks are getting worse 😓

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Apollo’s Slave if you can perhaps snag a picture of the duocoloured nail/s i'd be really excited to see it! Same for black nails, never seen those on bunbuns yet, would be fun to see!

Sore hocks aren't fun! I had a issue with this a bit ago, but it is successfully healed with a few steps... I'll break it into categories to make it easier!

Bandage - Firstly, apply a layer of ointment (I personally used A&D ointment, but any similar product will work - ensure it is not being consumed). Then prepare PETFLEX no chew bandage, cut into a "H" shape (to wrap around foot & keep secure). Optional: if your rabbit seems in discomfort, provide extra cushion by cutting and inserting a strip of cotton pad inside the bandage. Change 2x / day, or when needed.

Habitat - One of the very first thing I did is change the habitat from blankets & hardwood to a foam mat. I would like to note that fleese causes friction, which could be causing the sore hocks! Also, hard surfaces like wood / cement can wear down their delicate thumpers overtime. I would confine his habitat to only areas where the foam mat is, using a dog exercise pen to do so.

Other Tips & Tricks
- Is Apollo used to getting exercise time in the grass outdoors? I let my bunny stay in the grass for multiple hours a day to relieve her sore hocks (obviously, while monitored and confined in a dog exercise pen). Also, is he at his ideal weight? Sometimes overweight rabbits struggle with sore hocks, and losing weight can relieve the pressure (I limited my rabbits' pellet intake and that did the trick, she's down a 1/2 lb)! Always be watchful and keep an eye on his behavior - is he tiptoeing to avoid putting weight on his hocks?

Nail Trimming - I'm not sure how this relates to sore hocks, but I guess I can see how it could affect the feet of the nails started curling! For rabbits with dark nails, using a flashlight can be very helpful to find the quick. For sensitive rabbits, opt for a dog nail grinder instead of traditional clippers. I'm thinking of doing a post on this soon, LMK if this is something you'd be interested in!

Hope this information helps, please keep us updated! 🤞

@Apollo’s Slave if you can perhaps snag a picture of the duocoloured nail/s i'd be really excited to see it! Same for black nails, never seen those on bunbuns yet, would be fun to see!

Odin front paws are black while back claws is half black and white. Not the best pictures but Odin is so small and don’t want to be still. It’s easier to handle larger bunnies 😂

I need to trim his claws this weekend.

Attachments

• E48D1E9D-CD58-4D97-9D9F-8992402522F2.jpeg
    E48D1E9D-CD58-4D97-9D9F-8992402522F2.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 9
  • DF2706B6-17DE-4FFD-92F1-6A2FD1E2A1B1.jpeg
    DF2706B6-17DE-4FFD-92F1-6A2FD1E2A1B1.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 9
I’m not sure if you can see it properly. I’m very surprised he was so tolerant of me doing it though. This foot has black nails and black/white ones.

Attachments

• DD79FA45-6EAD-4E7B-8E74-D96CECB01ED7.jpeg
    DD79FA45-6EAD-4E7B-8E74-D96CECB01ED7.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8
Sore hocks aren't fun! I had a issue with this a bit ago, but it is successfully healed with a few steps... I'll break it into categories to make it easier!

Bandage - Firstly, apply a layer of ointment (I personally used A&D ointment, but any similar product will work - ensure it is not being consumed). Then prepare PETFLEX no chew bandage, cut into a "H" shape (to wrap around foot & keep secure). Optional: if your rabbit seems in discomfort, provide extra cushion by cutting and inserting a strip of cotton pad inside the bandage. Change 2x / day, or when needed.

Habitat - One of the very first thing I did is change the habitat from blankets & hardwood to a foam mat. I would like to note that fleese causes friction, which could be causing the sore hocks! Also, hard surfaces like wood / cement can wear down their delicate thumpers overtime. I would confine his habitat to only areas where the foam mat is, using a dog exercise pen to do so.

Other Tips & Tricks
- Is Apollo used to getting exercise time in the grass outdoors? I let my bunny stay in the grass for multiple hours a day to relieve her sore hocks (obviously, while monitored and confined in a dog exercise pen). Also, is he at his ideal weight? Sometimes overweight rabbits struggle with sore hocks, and losing weight can relieve the pressure (I limited my rabbits' pellet intake and that did the trick, she's down a 1/2 lb)! Always be watchful and keep an eye on his behavior - is he tiptoeing to avoid putting weight on his hocks?

Nail Trimming - I'm not sure how this relates to sore hocks, but I guess I can see how it could affect the feet of the nails started curling! For rabbits with dark nails, using a flashlight can be very helpful to find the quick. For sensitive rabbits, opt for a dog nail grinder instead of traditional clippers. I'm thinking of doing a post on this soon, LMK if this is something you'd be interested in!

Hope this information helps, please keep us updated! 🤞
Thank you For all this information!

I’ve heard that you shouldn’t bandage on your rabbit without a vets advise. I’ve put down some foam mats now and I can tell it’s a lot better for him. We do let him out in the garden but not very often. He’s a good weight (just under 6lb). And he’s not been tiptoeing and has been putting his regular amount of pressure on his feet. So I know it’s not bad but it could definitely get worse so I want to fix it now. Thank you!

Thank you For all this information!

I’ve heard that you shouldn’t bandage on your rabbit without a vets advise. I’ve put down some foam mats now and I can tell it’s a lot better for him. We do let him out in the garden but not very often. He’s a good weight (just under 6lb). And he’s not been tiptoeing and has been putting his regular amount of pressure on his feet. So I know it’s not bad but it could definitely get worse so I want to fix it now. Thank you!
Of course! I haven't heard that about bandages, there are relatively safe and made for animals. On her vet check-up after the sore hocks were better, I told the vet everything I did and she agreed I did the right thing :) But it never hurts to double-check!

To me, they do look like they are hurting him and quite irritated. They look just like my rabbits did at their worst... have you seen a vet for this?

To me, they do look like they are hurting him and quite irritated. They look just like my rabbits did at their worst... have you seen a vet for this?
They don’t seem to hurt him, and he’s not been showing many signs that it’s causing a lot of pain.

We have actually seen the vet about it four times (I think). The first time was in January when they were smaller and they just said they couldn’t do anything about them and to just keep him in soft flooring. Then again in March, they said to put Vaseline on it and keep him on soft footing. At a check up in may, they checked them and said the same thing as March. Then again in June, they gave Metacam because they got inflamed and said to keep him on soft flooring - and that we should discuss more options if they get worse.

I’m going to send them an email tomorrow and ask for some other options, bandages maybe, and/or socks.

They don’t seem to hurt him, and he’s not been showing many signs that it’s causing a lot of pain.

We have actually seen the vet about it four times (I think). The first time was in January when they were smaller and they just said they couldn’t do anything about them and to just keep him in soft flooring. Then again in March, they said to put Vaseline on it and keep him on soft footing. At a check up in may, they checked them and said the same thing as March. Then again in June, they gave Metacam because they got inflamed and said to keep him on soft flooring - and that we should discuss more options if they get worse.

I’m going to send them an email tomorrow and ask for some other options, bandages maybe, and/or socks.
Aww, Apollo sounds well taken care of. If he doesn't look like he is in discomfort, that's a really great sign! Hopefully your vet can help you over email, if I were you I would definitely give the bandages a try for at least a week, and monitor the progress! Is there something in particular you are worried about with them? I can try to help you based on my experience :)

Thank you. I’m mostly worried about doing it myself. I don’t want to do it too tightly and hurt him or something like that.

Thank you. I’m mostly worried about doing it myself. I don’t want to do it too tightly and hurt him or something like that.
Of course, that runs through all of our minds! Maybe the vet could show you how the properly wrap it? I think it may be best to cover the wound, as I don't think it will get better unless a bandage is helping it heal.

I’ve now got the F10 ointment - it came in the post this morning. I know I only need a small bit and rub it in. How often do I need to use it, and is there an amount of time that I should do it for (a week or two?)

I’ve now got the F10 ointment - it came in the post this morning. I know I only need a small bit and rub it in. How often do I need to use it, and is there an amount of time that I should do it for (a week or two?)
Ideally do it twice a day. Hopefully you'll see some improvement within two weeks and then just use it if it looks red. Let us know how you get on.

Ideally do it twice a day. Hopefully you'll see some improvement within two weeks and then just use it if it looks red. Let us know how you get on.
Thank you! You've been very helpful for me! I'll definitely try to get it done twice a day and I'll keep everyone updated. And @Lucas the Bun 💕🐇 I'll let you know how it works

Latest posts

Back