Sore hocks are getting worse 😓

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Apollo has sore hocks, as a lot of people already knows because I’ve been talking about it since January. He’s been too the vet many times about it and they haven’t done too much. They have metacam for a week and said to keep him on soft flooring.

He’s a healthy weight but his nails are a bit long, so we had them cut recently, but they might still be longer than they should be, because his quick is overgrown.

He has fleece in his homebase at the moment but he hates being on it and almost always lays on the carpet, and has soft litter in his litter tray. I’m not too sure what I should do, take him to the vet again? Is there any other solutions or am I being excessive?

Attachments

• 500BD5C0-6577-4EC3-A767-8749240DA531.jpeg
    500BD5C0-6577-4EC3-A767-8749240DA531.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7BED6C4A-BF0B-4AA4-AB96-788E371392A4.jpeg
    7BED6C4A-BF0B-4AA4-AB96-788E371392A4.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0277D62C-3E00-491A-BA7A-AAC84167B3E8.jpeg
    0277D62C-3E00-491A-BA7A-AAC84167B3E8.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 7
You can try baby socks and layer the floor with cardboard under the blankets. It will be softer than the floor.

I know a few restrict their bunnies to jump on memory foam mats until the paws heals. But baby socks have gotten a lot of good response from other people having problems with sore hocks. I tried baby socks it only worked on Odin while Toste took them off after a few hours no matter how good they was attached 🤣

Thank you!
I will definitely ask my vet about baby socks! They’ve mentioned it before - so maybe I could just email them and ask if I should use them!!

101 Rabbits has some videos on sore hocks

she uses memory foam mats for soft padding, my buns don't have sore hocks but I bought some memory foam bath mats for them and they absolutely love it - my girl who is disabled loves it so much and does her binkys on it, I am buying a few more.
I cover it with fleece. There's cheap ones available at Ikea ($15AUD/10USD) or Kmart ($12AUD/8USD).
I also bought the Ikea foldable gym mats, they lie there when they want something cooler and as a little step to the bigger litter tray for my girl.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ike...WP4XMBHfRAAnEQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1440&bih=686

Thank you!
I will definitely ask my vet about baby socks! They’ve mentioned it before - so maybe I could just email them and ask if I should use them!!

Yeah you can do that, I’ve heard that rex bunnies are more prone to sore hocks because of how their fur are. I hope Apollo can get better paws.

101 Rabbits has some videos on sore hocks

she uses memory foam mats for soft padding, my buns don't have sore hocks but I bought some memory foam bath mats for them and they absolutely love it - my girl who is disabled loves it so much and does her binkys on it, I am buying a few more.
I cover it with fleece. There's cheap ones available at Ikea ($15AUD/10USD) or Kmart ($12AUD/8USD).
I also bought the Ikea foldable gym mats for something cooler, they lie there when they want something cooler
https://www.google.com/search?q=ike...WP4XMBHfRAAnEQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1440&bih=686

Thank you, I’ll watch those now. I’ve said that I should get foam mats for a while now and never got round to it, so I hopefully will order them soon.

Are you putting any medicine on his hocks? I would be putting Antibiotic Ointment on his hocks, and then wrapping them in gauze and vet wrap (not too tight, but tight enough). I would then put baby socks on top of that. I really suggest getting foam mats to lay around so that he has lots of soft flooring. I would also confine him to just your room while he heals. I hope you can figure out what to do! Praying for him!

Are you putting any medicine on his hocks? I would be putting Antibiotic Ointment on his hocks, and then wrapping them in gauze and vet wrap (not too tight, but tight enough). I would then put baby socks on top of that. I really suggest getting foam mats to lay around so that he has lots of soft flooring. I would also confine him to just your room while he heals. I hope you can figure out what to do! Praying for him!
Thank you. We haven’t had any medicine from the vet - we last went a few weeks ago. I don’t want to wrap it in vetwrap in case that I don’t do it properly but I’ll probably get him an appointment at the vet.

Have you tried F10 ointment twice a day? But unfortunately unless he is on soft flooring most of the time it's not going to get better. Can you cover the carpet with cotton sheets, chenille bath mats, memory foam mats, that type of thing? Try cutting the nails very often, just taking a tiny amount off, that should make the quick recede over time. Good luck!

Thank you. I’ve tried to cover his area with fleece and bedsheets which has worked but because i share my room, I can’t cover the whole carpet.

Should I confine him to his pen? I’ll also try cutting his nails more often - I usually take him to the vet but it’s £12 and my parents don’t want to pay. I’ll also try to get the F10 ointment. Is it prescription only?

Do you think that if I email my vet, they’d expect me to go in? I’ve saved over £100 so I can afford the vet bills - and I also have insurance but if I can do it myself, if like to.

thanks again x

Thank you. I’ve tried to cover his area with fleece and bedsheets which has worked but because i share my room, I can’t cover the whole carpet.

Should I confine him to his pen? I’ll also try cutting his nails more often - I usually take him to the vet but it’s £12 and my parents don’t want to pay. I’ll also try to get the F10 ointment. Is it prescription only?

Do you think that if I email my vet, they’d expect me to go in? I’ve saved over £100 so I can afford the vet bills - and I also have insurance but if I can do it myself, if like to.

thanks again x
Haha, I've covered the floor in my whole flat with duvets, memory foam mats, bathmats, and other weird stuff. Bit treacherous for two-footers but who cares, anything for the bunny. Confining him to a pen, especially if it's not at least 3mX2m is not a great idea because the more inactive they are, the worse it gets. But if you can't cover the floor then maybe keep him in the pen overnight at least. Hope you can manage clipping his nails yourself. Quite upset with your parents refusing to pay £12 which is basically nothing :( You can get the F10 ointment online, no prescription needed. Only use a very tiny amount and rub it in so it gets absorbed. x

Myself have learnt to trim my bunnies claws alone. Becuase trimming at the vets the claws didn’t get short enough. Only time they trimmed good was when Odin was neutered 🤣

I also have the problem of quick growing out on Odin. Because he have black nails, so I can’t see the quick and he will often not be still. But doing pre-presses and trimming the nails often it have helped his claw being shorter. I’m right now timming his nail every 2 weeks to get the quick grow back. Otherwise it’s only once a month.

What apollo have is not a horrible sore hocks with open wounds. I think it would better to try change everything at home for him instead like soft flooring, restricted area and baby socks on when roaming around. I’ve read somewhere it takes a month or two for sore hocks to heal.

Haha, I've covered the floor in my whole flat with duvets, memory foam mats, bathmats, and other weird stuff. Bit treacherous for two-footers but who cares, anything for the bunny. Confining him to a pen, especially if it's not at least 3mX2m is not a great idea because the more inactive they are, the worse it gets. But if you can't cover the floor then maybe keep him in the pen overnight at least. Hope you can manage clipping his nails yourself. Quite upset with your parents refusing to pay £12 which is basically nothing :( You can get the F10 ointment online, no prescription needed. Only use a very tiny amount and rub it in so it gets absorbed. x
Thank you! I’m redoing his area now (he’s usually free roamed on the second floor of our house, but I’ve confined him to my room), and I’ve got some foam mats that I can use - just popped out to the shops. I’ll layer some sheets on top of it.
My parents are okay with paying the £12 but they just don’t want to do it often (we’ve had them done at the vets four times already) because they brought me the nail clippers so that I could do it myself. I’ll order that F10 ointment now, is this it? F10 Products Germicidal Barrier Ointment

Myself have learnt to trim my bunnies claws alone. Becuase trimming at the vets the claws didn’t get short enough. Only time they trimmed good was when Odin was neutered 🤣

I also have the problem of quick growing out on Odin. Because he have black nails, so I can’t see the quick and he will often not be still. But doing pre-presses and trimming the nails often it have helped his claw being shorter. I’m right now timming his nail every 2 weeks to get the quick grow back. Otherwise it’s only once a month.

What apollo have is not a horrible sore hocks with open wounds. I think it would better to try change everything at home for him instead like soft flooring, restricted area and baby socks on when roaming around. I’ve read somewhere it takes a month or two for sore hocks to heal.
Thank you. Odin is similar to Apollo! Apollo has half black and half white nails - some are actually both colours on one nail! I’ll try to do his nails every two weeks, if that’s best. I think I’m just more scared of hurting him than he cares about nail clipping. 😅

hopefully it can heal within two months 🥺

thank you both 🥰

Thank you! I’m redoing his area now (he’s usually free roamed on the second floor of our house, but I’ve confined him to my room), and I’ve got some foam mats that I can use - just popped out to the shops. I’ll layer some sheets on top of it.
My parents are okay with paying the £12 but they just don’t want to do it often (we’ve had them done at the vets four times already) because they brought me the nail clippers so that I could do it myself. I’ll order that F10 ointment now, is this it? F10 Products Germicidal Barrier Ointment
Well done. F10 - Yes, that's it. It can take quite a while for sore hocks to improve. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you. Odin is similar to Apollo! Apollo has half black and half white nails - some are actually both colours on one nail! I’ll try to do his nails every two weeks, if that’s best. I think I’m just more scared of hurting him than he cares about nail clipping. 😅

I perfectly understand, I always worry to trim too much with Odin. But doing pre-presses make it a little easier when trimming. Just trim a little at the time and do 3 pre-presses, to give him time to pull away if you are close to the quick 😊

I perfectly understand, I always worry to trim too much with Odin. But doing pre-presses make it a little easier when trimming. Just trim a little at the time and do 3 pre-presses, to give him time to pull away if you are close to the quick 😊
Thank you! I’ll try that!

Latest posts

Back