Sore hock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug13

Reaction score
Hi! I have an EA that has a sore hock. It's been about a week of limping. I can't find any redness and there definitely isn't an open sore. I've cushioned her cage with dish towels and she really likes that. I have even supported her foot with a baby sock and some wool. Do I wait now? Do I take her to the vet? I feel like I've done all I can. It's been awhile since she's binkied or raced around. She's not herself and just wants to be left alone. She's still eating and drinking, but her behavior is just sad. :(

Last edited:
I'd call her breeder first and ask what methods have helped other rabbits in this one's family lines *and* what you can do to prevent it. There may be some subtle thing specific to your rabbit's line that makes a difference.

Then, if that turns up empty, I'd suggest calling a rabbit-savvy vet. Do you know of one? If not, check the House Rabbit Society's list at www.rabbit.org -- just follow the links at the top of the page.

Best wishes to the little fiber maker. :)

Agree, sore hocks typically have redness and sores developing, also loss of fur. There may be something else going on and your vet may need to do an X-ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I've figure out what's wrong. I clipped her nails a week or so ago and got too far down on one and she kicked and it bled a little. The toe is sore. I couldn't figure out why there was no red where her hock was. AND I moved both her legs up and down and they moved fine. But when I got near the toe, she wasn't having any of it. Should I still go to the vet?? It is just red, that's all, not yucky.

If it actually is causing her discomfort after 1 week I would have a vet look at it.
It is really common to cut the nail too short by accident but it usually doesn't cause what you are describing .

Latest posts

Back