sore hock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit_whisperer

Reaction score
One of my rabbit's has sore hocks except for an odd thing only on one foot,anyways is there anything I cant do to inch on the healing process or should I go to the vet?

And he wont step on it much just that foot.

Mild cases of sore hocks can generally be treated at home. Place plastic "resting mats" in the rabbit's cage and apply "bag balm" (a thick ointment) or a tiny, tiny amount of Desitin to the hock. Iodine can also be used to treat sore hocks. In some cases, "new skin" has been successfully used.

Cardboard can also be used on the bottom of the cage - but be certain that it stays clean and dry.

Pam

I reccomend a product called blu-kote. You can buy it at a farm supply store, it is made for horses or cattle. It is an iodine based product that is antifungal and antibacterial. It stains blue, so it is very messy but you can tell that you covered the whole hock and it coats it well so it gives it a chance to heal. I use it on my flemmies when they get sore hocks or on any bald spots on their feet before we go to a show and it protects their feet too. When the spot heals up they usually form a nice tough callous on the foot and unless they are on a rough surface or you travel with them a lot the sore hock does not come back.

Julia

Latest posts

Back