Sore hock or no?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
1.jpg

(In this picture I have moved the fur over so you can see the redness. But usually there's still some fur covering it)

Sabriel has had this almost ever since I've adoptedhim (the day before easter). It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's bothering me.

It's red on his right hock, but not the left. The right has very thin fur hardly covering this red spot, and on his left, he's got thick fur, covering the hock, and it's the colour of the rest of his skin.

Is there a way I can make this less red? Will his fur every grow over this again?

It doesn't look too bad. It's probably an old sore hock, just keep an eye on it for the skin getting too red, scaly, scabby, or flaky. You can put triple antibiotic ointment or bag balm on it.

tonyshuman wrote:
It doesn't look too bad. It's probably an old sore hock, just keep an eye on it for the skin getting too red, scaly, scabby, or flaky. You can put triple antibiotic ointment or bag balm on it.

It is a little more red in the middle than around it and it's got white skin on there that looks like it's going to start flaking..

What is bag balm? And where can get that stuff?
Thanks for the info :)

tonyshuman wrote:

It is a little more red in the middle than around it and it's got white skin on there that looks like it's going to start flaking..

What is bag balm? And where can get that stuff?
Thanks for the info :)

You can get bag balm at drug stores sometimes, in the hand cream section, or at farm supply stores. It was originally made to keep cows' teats moisturized and antiseptic. Any really rich, oily lotion will work though. The oil-based part is important because that's how it stays on there even though the bunnies run around, try to lick it off, stand on wet hay, etc.

Thank you everyone :) I'll prob put a dab of neosporin on it. I don't think I even saw him lick that spot of his leg.. so yeah :)

Hi all !

Sore hocks usually cause loss of hair and ulceration of the lower aspect of the hind legs, below the hock joints. Some of the causes are e.g. poorly designed wire netting floors or wet, damp conditions, etc.

Sore hocks are often treated with homeopathic remedies, which remedies are also often used for eczema.

The choice of the correct homeopathic remedy depends on the presenting individual symptoms and modalities, e.g. symptoms such as the skin is hot to the touch, (much)redness, dryness, unpleasant smell, irritation etc. and/or modalities such as worse for warmth, better for cold, worse from touch and scratching, etc.

It`s possible to first apply locally Hypercal ointment,cream or tincture, 2-3 times a day.

Wim. Qualified homeopath for people and animals. Teacher of English BA (Rtd)

Latest posts

Back