Sore Hock Home Remedies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
My Rex rabbit (male,) has a mild case of sore hocks. They are on both of his back hind feet. I moved him from a wire cage to a grassy outdoor run. I'm still wondering what other things I can do at home to make him feel comfortable? :? Any regular antibiotics or remedies that might work?
Anything might help :)
Thanks!

I always kept a piece of wood in my wire bottom cages for the bunnies to lay on (to give their feet a break from the wire)

I also bedded one side of the cage with hay, more for them to lay on and keep warm than to eat ;)

In general, selective breeding has made great improvements in increasing the padding/fur/wool on the feet of most rabbit breeds. So sore hocks isn't quite as common as it once was. However, some breeds like Mini Rex, Rex, or heavier breeds are still more prone to it. Sometimes it's a genetic quality (they're from pet breeders or backyard breeders) and sometimes it's just the environment.

Preparation H clears up sore hocks quickly. Bag balm is also great for keeping the area moist and helping it heal.

Some rabbits will always have a rough, sometimes hairless, callus on their heel or toes. This is something to keep an eye on, but not necessarily something to worry about. You only need to put medication on if the area seems to be painful, inflamed or has open wounds.

Sore hocks may be prevented by housing your rabbit on a solid floor, but it doesn't always help. A lot of times, the rabbits that are prone to it will have difficulty on really any surface. Some say that wire floors cause sore hocks, but I haven't seen that to be the case. Usually sore hocks are related to weight or body structure. So it will be trial and error to see what works best for your bun.

Brandy's rex has been helped by wearing infant sox when the hocks are bad. She keeps them on with a loose bandage just below the sox's cuff.

I added photos etc in the other sore hocks thread started :)

Luckily after the first round Gary has not needed his socks on again. He is relieved as a co-worker gave me some pink socks I wanted to get pictures of. :p

Now I just put A&D cream on once a week to keep the calluses soft so they don't crack.

my rabbit also had a bad case of sore hocks from his other owner before i bought him. what i did is i layered fleece blankets on the levels of his cage (or something soft he can be on) and every night i'd put bagbalm on the sore hocks. also, since he had litter pettets in his litterbox i put a medium-sized pile of hay in his litterbox so the pellets didn't irritate it. also putting the hay or shavings in the litterbox on top of the litter pellets will make a small barrier from the urine in their litterbox and from the rabbits sore hocks which could irritate their sore hocks (with my rabbit the fur parted from his sore hocks so him sitting directly on the urinated bedding could severely irritate it.) he is all better now. ;)
hope this helps!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back