Sore eye?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
His eye was like that when I saw him in the morning. I tried to search for topics on infected eye so I went out and bought saline to wash his eye. I washed it every few hours. Look much better now..

I think the sawdust got into his eye. There's very little discharge, mostly just a red eye.

Am I doing the right thing?

soreeyecd0.jpg

Looks like you caught it early. A saline wash is fine, it will keep it cleanbut keep an eye on it (sorry for the pun!) for a day, and if it doesn't seem to be be improving, you might needantibiotic drops. There appears to be a white spot (not the flash ) on the left side of the eye. Make sure it isn'tthe start of aninfection.

LOL I'm constantly keeping an "eye" on it.

The white spot doesn't look like an infection just looks like a part of his eye. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Trying to keep his eye as clean as possible so I used a sterile gauze swab under a stretchable clothand tied it on his head and accidently he gotturned into minnie. LOL :p

bowwo4.jpg

Pipp wrote:
:yeahthat:

And here's the Library link for Eye Problems:

Eye Problems

Let us know how it goes!

sas :bunnydance:

Hi Sas

I tried looking up on it. It'sseriously too much info and I get sooooooooooooooo confused... Think JimD had the same problem I did what he did but without the warm compress.. Not sure what it means?

It looks like conjunctivitis. Time to get some NeoPolyDex from the vet!

righteyedk4.jpg

There's a sort of yellowish spot on his right eye. Is it normal?

Sorry bout the blurry pic. It's taken by a mobile phone, I don't have a camera.

Based on what I can tell from your last picture....it might be a good idea to get a vet to "stain" the eye. You mentioned "sawdust" so it's quite possible that the cornea has an abrasion...but the "spot" you mentioned could be the start of an ulcer. An ulcer can get ugly very quickly and is very painful. It is better to attack it early. One word of caution....don't know how rabbit savvyyour vets are. In this case...any ointment/drops that are used in the eye should not contain steroids. Staining the eye is very simple and uses a special dye. A lamp is used to see if the dye is retained on the cornea...if so, it's an ulcer. It is the same on any animal. If you check a picture we have under the "Rainbow Bridge" section for Marcia, you will see there is a whitish area on the rear of her eye....that is a corneal ulcer due to an encounter with a car. If it is ulcerated, leaving it untreated or improperly treated can lead to a corneal collapse and loss of the eye. Better safe than sorry. And as others have mentioned....keep it flushed with saline. It might also be a little more comfortable for himif you use some plain artificial tears....no additional drugs...to keep the eye lubricated. We tend to use the gel version which stays in the eye better than drops. Best wishes

Randy

Randy has given good advice. You do not want to mess with the eyes. Don't hesitate, just bring the bun to the vet. You don't want this getting nasty quickly.

It still looks more like regular ole conjunctivitis to me, but the pictures aren't the best.

So again, time for the vet.

Thanks to Randy I used plain artificial tears for 2 days now and it looks like his eye is getting better. I haven't been working for a while, it's really takinga toil on mywallet.. :(I'm trying my best to do everything I can to raise money to bringhim to the vet..

:(Sorry to hear about your bunny I use terramycin oilment it works well. I put alittle dab on the eye 2-3 times a day for about 3 days. That usually takes care of it.

Bunnylady

Hi Bunnylady

what'sterramycin? antibiotics? where can I get them? is it safe to use it if it's not the right medication for this problem?

Hi,

I would not play games with they eyes. Improper use of drugs in the eyes can lead to undesirable results. We never take chances on the eyes. We have a rabbit that her cornea actually collapsed and it took a lot to save her eye. Many antibiotics are "targeted" which means they work on certain types of bacteria and different drugs control the bacteria differently...some by killing it and some by preventing reproduction. When you have an infection in the eyes or ears...it is much too easy for it to enter the brain. Not worth therisk guessing.

Randy

Hi Randy

Yes I understand. I won't put anything in his eyes unless it's prescribed by the doc.

Thanks for the advice.

If you put terramycin on the eyes and it's the right medicine, it'll help. If you put it on and its the wrong medicine, it in itself won't do very much, but the condition will get worse. You could try Gentamicin eye drops. Just make sure that it does not have steroids in it. I suggested Neo-Poly-Dex, which is a good drop for conjunctivitis....only if there are no ulcers or scratches. Neo-Poly-Dex is neomycin and polymyxin B- two good broad spectrum antibiotics, and dexamethasone, which is a steroid.

If you can't truly can't afford a vet, I would try some kind of antibiotic drop or ointment. I prefer drops to ointment, but ointment works, too. Terramycin or Gentamicin won't hurt anything- and chances are will clear up the problem if there are no ulcers. Personally I would choose terramycin ointment. It's a very old drug, but it's usually a very effective one.

There is also tobramycin, which is probably the broadest spectrum. I don't know how you'd get that without going to a vet. If I had to choose between everything, I would get tobramycin. It's very broad-spectrum and also is effective against Gentamicin-resistant Pasteurella and Pseudomonas infections.

All that being said, self-medicating does carry a higher risk. Your main risk here is the infection getting worse. But yes, the one thing you need to remember- NO steroids in the eyes if there are any suspected ulcers or other problems.

Thanks for everyones' help. A little update on daddy's eye.

Daddy's eye look much better now. I've only been using artifical teardrops and warm compress. It's not red anymore butI'll continue to use the eyedrop for a couple of days to be safe.. :)

Latest posts

Back