Sooty wasnt able to get his teeth done

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well i literaly just got off the phone with the vet and she said that while under his heart stopped, they were able to bring him back. Before this all happened they were able to file down his back teeth and they cut his front teeth. She said that no where in his blood work where there any indications that something like this would happen, that if they ever became a proplem i would have to go down to the university of Penn where they have more types of anesteshia to utilize, and where they could intubate him.

I am happy that he is ok now and praying that he stays ok. She doesnt want to send him home until after 5, she said that all his reflexes are startingt o come back and his color is good so they are going to wait and make sure that he is ok.

Do i need to be worried once i bring him home?

Holy cow that is scary. I'm sorry you have to go through this! Poor Sooty...

I have no experience with this, but I would say if he is okay through the day then he will be just fine. The anesthesia may have just been too much for him. Is he an older bun?

Don't panic though, remember, he is at the best place possible in case of emergency...the vets office. And the vet is keeping him all day to keep an eye on him and make sure he is alright.

Best wishes to you and Sooty...

:pray:

Tracy

Thank you Tracey, he is 3-4 years old at best guest because i adopted him from the local humane society last year. I feel so sick and i am all shaky. I might go visit him at lunch time to see how he is doing.

He should be fine. I know bunnies that their hearts stopped during procedures but than after are fine. They have later on gone through the procedures at a later date.

ha unless this is an emergency i will never let him go under again, you all thought i was an overprotected mess this time, ha, i pitty the person that would ever have to preform surgery on him down the line,lol

Why, if there is any reason, do you think something like that would have happened?

I myself can not say for sure but I guess it could be any number of reasons. I am sure Randy or Ivory could give you a better idea.

I'd say just like some people, some buns have an allergic reaction the anesthesia. Also, some buns maybe just can't handle so much anesthesia and a local anesthetic would work better for him (if that can be used during a tooth procedure). He isn't abnormal, it's just something that happens sometimes I believe. I know it's like that in people too!

Tracy

Poor Sooty! Poor YOU! I'm glad it turned out OK so far. Good thing you have such a good vet! :hug:... to both of you!

:pullhair::faint: I am such a mess,lol, i am still all wobbly and shakky, and wont be better until i can love him, and then i will be a mess again that i am going to find him dead tonight,lol.:headsmack

OMG! Don't think like that! He'll be fine! He came out of it. They don't all handle anesthesia the same way. You vet is pretty astute to suggest you go to the University for future work. They are on the cutting edge of what's new in surgery.

I feel bad for you. Please try to stay calm when you see him. He will pick up on your nervous energy and think something is wrong. And we don't want him upset right now.

Did they say what he had a reaction to? I'd vote for xylazine (pronounced with a "z"). It's a great drug most of the time but it's also one of the most common for reactions.

Bloodwork doesn't always indicate something. Frankly, it's usually an allergic reaction to the anesthesia. The other problem is that bunnies metabolize things at the speed of light, so you often have to give them more...There's a reason that until recently, it really hasn't been safe for rabbits to undergo surgery. Also, since rabbits have pretty weak hearts/chests it's easier to put them into respiratory/cardiac distress.

But nowadays? It's quite safe. What happened to Sooty, while not unheared of, is still pretty uncommon if not rare. We haven't had a bunny's heart stop on the table, but it does happen sometimes.

I'm very glad that he came out of it and it worked out.

When Sugar went in to get spayed the first time, her heart stopped on the table as well. The doctor said he knew how to do the medicine different next time to prevent the same thing from happening again.

The doctor used two medicines to put them under, and he said he just needed to adjust one of them (I think it was a tranqulizer that effects the lungs and heart). She went under a second time and did wonderfully.

When I took her home the first time, she was just fine. I took her home the same evening and she was acting just fine, eating and drinking well.

--Dawn

OMG I just posted in the TODAY ON RO about him.

I've been thinking about his surgery all week..... I am SO glad he's doing ok - I don't think I could allow him to go back under now.... I know he needs to.

When you get him home, give him a snuggle and kiss his head and rub his ears and tell him it's all from me!

:nerves1he scareded me!

How frightening for you!!! I'm so glad Sooty is ok now. We'll keep you both in our thoughts and prayers today and over the weekend. :pray:Take care of both of you!:hugsquish:to you, and:pet:for Sooty.

aurora369 wrote:
The doctor used two medicines to put them under, and he said he just needed to adjust one of them (I think it was a tranqulizer that effects the lungs and heart). She went under a second time and did wonderfully.
Xylazine. :D

Thanks everyone, i went to visit him just a little bit of go and he was still a little groggy looking but otherwise looked pretty good for what he went through. I kissed him, and layed ontop of him kissing him,lol. I just had them leave him in his cage cause he hates being picked up and i didnt want to stress him anymore then he has been today. I still have to talk to the doc to find out again, because this mornings calls is startingto become a blurr,lol. I have to find out what they are going to do about his teeth in the future about fileing them down or something, i know it has to be done ..........sometime............. but i will not put him under anesthesia anytime in the near 100year future,lol.

If it's just clipping or burring, they really only need a sedative. My vet uses Domitor that keeps them asleep for justa half hour, and they give another drug to wake them up.

(And Dawn, didn't I have Sugar for the firstsurgery? I took her in I think, I got the call from the vet for sure... and I remember her shaved tummy with no scar... No matter, just a failing memory). ;)

sas :bunnydance:

Wow, that must have been scary to hear! I'm glad that he's fine, and I'm sure that he'll stay that way:D.

Devon and Amber both had minor molar trimming about a year and a half ago, and our vet used a rasp without any anaesthesia or sedatives. But their issues were quite minor, so more extensive work might require a sedative like sas mentioned.

I'm not too far from Philly, so I always like knowing that U Penn is there if my bunnies ever needed more specialized treatment.

Matt:cool:

Latest posts

Back