sooo many choices

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimboshippos

Reaction score
All ive gathered is that fiber should be 18%min or more. I am planning on feeding timothy hay, and fresh veggies, and little bits of fruit for a treat a day, now, what pellet do i need????

How old is your rabbit? Is s/he spayed or neutered? Will s/he live inside or out? Will s/he be a pet, show or breeding rabbit?

Young rabbits (up to 6-8 months old) should be free fed an alfalfa pellet and get alfalfa hay.
Adult rabbit should get a limited amount based on body weight, excercise and metabolism. The general rule is 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight. Some need more while others need less. Ideally, adults should have an timothy pellet and hay.

Breeding and show rabbits do have some different requirements, usually an alfalfa pellet with about 16% protein. Different breeders feed different foods based on what is avaliable to them and what works for their rabbits.
Outdoor rabbit may need some extra pellets to maintain body weight in all weather and to deal with some of the stress of being outside.

The pellet should not have any extra bits like seeds or dried fruit. These mixes are basically junk food for bunnies. For an adult rabbit, the protein should be less than 16% and fibre should be 18% or more. I like to avoid pellets with corn.
Knowing where you live (at least the country) can be helpful in recommending a specific brand. I feed Oxbow BB/T to 2 of my bunnies and Martin alfalfa to my other one.

dont have the rabbit yet, i know the rules about the ages for what foods etc etc, but when it came to pellets all it said was more than 18% fiber. thank you for clearin that up!

mardigraskisses wrote:
I recommend Purina Rabbit Chow. :)
there,s the good stuff--purina rabbit chow,,timothy/orchard grass(hay)-is great//.offer the hay 24/7,,pellets about half cup a day,,extra goodies like dandylions,clover grasses,,fruit tree branches are great for teeth and gi tract...sincerely james waller:wave:

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
How old is your rabbit? Is s/he spayed or neutered? Will s/he live inside or out? Will s/he be a pet, show or breeding rabbit?

Young rabbits (up to 6-8 months old) should be free fed an alfalfa pellet and get alfalfa hay.
Adult rabbit should get a limited amount based on body weight, excercise and metabolism. The general rule is 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight. Some need more while others need less. Ideally, adults should have an timothy pellet and hay.

Breeding and show rabbits do have some different requirements, usually an alfalfa pellet with about 16% protein. Different breeders feed different foods based on what is avaliable to them and what works for their rabbits.
Outdoor rabbit may need some extra pellets to maintain body weight in all weather and to deal with some of the stress of being outside.

The pellet should not have any extra bits like seeds or dried fruit. These mixes are basically junk food for bunnies. For an adult rabbit, the protein should be less than 16% and fibre should be 18% or more. I like to avoid pellets with corn.
Knowing where you live (at least the country) can be helpful in recommending a specific brand. I feed Oxbow BB/T to 2 of my bunnies and Martin alfalfa to my other one.
timothy/orchard grass(hay)is non-digestible fiber,,this makes up 70% of a rabbits diet,,--it--keeps the gi tract working,,,...a word of caution if feeding digestible pellet with any other digestible product(alfalfa)--gi stasis may follow..sincerely james waller

Back