Soon to be new holland lop owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cherries

Reaction score
Hey all! We are adding an adorable holland lop boy to our family this Saturday. Just wanted to get advice on best food & such to get. Want to have everything ready for him when we bring him home :) :) any advice would be appreciated!

Well, I feed my holland lop rabbit pellets and timothy hay. How old is he? I also gave mine a hanging bird toy and some baby keys :) You should put up some pictures once you get him :) what color is he gonna be? Have you picked a name yet?

He's a baby.. Not sure the exact bday, but weaned this weekend and the runt so excited! He's a broken blue.. So I think we are naming him Baloo! Here's the pic they sent me. I'll be sure to post once we get him :) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393262599.759735.jpg

He looks around 5-6 weeks old judging by my lops when they were babies. So if he's going to his new home on Saturday, he'll be 6-7 weeks...which is still a bit young but not TOO bad.

Exactly how runty is he though? If he's just a tad smaller than his siblings, he'll be fine, but if he's very small he'll develop slower and may need to be with his mom longer.

Oh, Baloo is so cute! Seems a bit small but as long as he's healthy, no worries. Maybe just check the age like everyone else said. I took my mini lop (which I think is the same as a Holland lop in the US?) Clementine home at 7 weeks. She was weaned early as the breeder was going away, and wanted to get the litter to their forever homes before then.

She's around 3 months old now. :) She used to groom me a lot when she first came home. She once tried to clean one of my tattoos!

uploadfromtaptalk1393296049453.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! I will double check in the dob & age.. The pic could be taken a week or so ago too. But def bring good things for me to check into. The breeder is on it with emails and the food she feeds and any questions I have so hopefully it's all good. He had a sister & a brother which are bigger.. I'll see if I can find the pic of them to compare. I'll have to figure out this forum bc I didn't get any notifications anyone responded :( I want to make sure he's happy & healthy!

Oh, Baloo is so cute! Seems a bit small but as long as he's healthy, no worries. Maybe just check the age like everyone else said. I took my mini lop (which I think is the same as a Holland lop in the US?) Clementine home at 7 weeks. She was weaned early as the breeder was going away, and wanted to get the litter to their forever homes before then.

She's around 3 months old now. :) She used to groom me a lot when she first came home. She once tried to clean one of my tattoos!

She's so pretty! He has a brother that looks like that! Love the markings!

He looks around 5-6 weeks old judging by my lops when they were babies. So if he's going to his new home on Saturday, he'll be 6-7 weeks...which is still a bit young but not TOO bad.

Exactly how runty is he though? If he's just a tad smaller than his siblings, he'll be fine, but if he's very small he'll develop slower and may need to be with his mom longer.

What's the norm- 8 weeks? Def going to double check how old he is. Don't want to have to worry he's unhealthy or gets sick if we take him home this weekend.

She's so pretty! He has a brother that looks like that! Love the markings!
Sounds like a cutie! Clementine has a brother and sister who are almost identical to her, too. One went to another forever home, and one stayed with the breeder.

What's the norm- 8 weeks? Def going to double check how old he is. Don't want to have to worry he's unhealthy or gets sick if we take him home this weekend.
8 weeks is generally the safe age for buns to head off to forever homes. :)

Going to the pet store to get supplies- aside from the obvious, water bottle, food bowl, food, hay, toys.. Is there anything else? Litter tray? I've seen lots of pics and seems like for the bottom of cage people are using sheets or towels- so is bedding a no no? I haven't had a rabbit since high school and that's been a little while ago :)

My 3-4 week olds look like him. I would certainly check... I would not buy a bunny that small unless it was one of the 2 pound dwarf breeds!

He's ADORABLE though!

I use pine wood chips as bedding.

Going to the pet store to get supplies- aside from the obvious, water bottle, food bowl, food, hay, toys.. Is there anything else? Litter tray? I've seen lots of pics and seems like for the bottom of cage people are using sheets or towels- so is bedding a no no? I haven't had a rabbit since high school and that's been a little while ago :)
Litter tray! I use a medium sized cat tray. Big enough for both my buns to comfortably sit, eat, and potty. For litter I use pellets made of recycled paper, which is good for odour control. Avoid pine or cedar, unless it's kiln dried. No clay or clumping litters at all! I'd avoid those corner boxes designed for smaller rabbits.

I line the bottom of their hutch with fabrics. I don't like using bedding all around, in case it confuses them about where to potty.

My bunnies prefer a water dish to a bottle, but will use the bottle if the dish is empty. :)

Litter tray! I use a medium sized cat tray. Big enough for both my buns to comfortably sit, eat, and potty. For litter I use pellets made of recycled paper, which is good for odour control. Avoid pine or cedar, unless it's kiln dried. No clay or clumping litters at all! I'd avoid those corner boxes designed for smaller rabbits.

I line the bottom of their hutch with fabrics. I don't like using bedding all around, in case it confuses them about where to potty.

My bunnies prefer a water dish to a bottle, but will use the bottle if the dish is empty. :)

Thanks! Maybe I'll try both a bottle and dish to see which he'd prefer :) exciting times to get everything all set up!

So he will be 7 weeks when we pick him up. She said if I didn't feel comfortable he could stay longer but he's eating well on his own and such. Problem is they are 1.5 hrs away from us so we are driving up sat to visit an animal sanctuary near them and picking him up on the way back. So they aren't super close.

Latest posts

Back