Soon I will finish my degree...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal

Reaction score
What do you wish you had been told before you entered the work force?

Yesterday I went to my last proper class for my uni degree! I have done a Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Work). It was a weird feeling walking out of the classroom and coming home. On the one hand I am excited and proud of myself, but it's also daunting to enter the real world. I'm nervous and excited, and really not sure where I want to work and all sorts of things like that...

So does anyone have any advice?
Maybe someone told you something that turned out to be really helpful. Or have you learned things the hard way and wish someone had told you things when you were in the position I am now.

Serious, practical, funny... I don't mind.

Welcome to the newly minted Social Worker from a fellow SW in the US. I would be careful inyour job search. One thing I learned is that colleges/university job placement centers aren't much help. Talk to people already in the field. Did you do any internships? Perhaps there might a job opening available at the place you did your internship. Perhaps finding something as direct care staff in a group home or other similar situation is good start.

Don't be disappointed if it takes time to find a job. I'm not sure what the job market is like there in Australia but I know that there are many agencies in my area looking for Social Workers that work with troubled youth. Also be aware that beginning salaries are low. You might have to work two jobs to meet your expenses.

Good luck.

congratulations!

have you considered some voluntary work related to your chosen field? as well as giving you some life experience, it would show a future employer that you are serious:)

good luck:)

Latest posts

Back