Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
I've been looking around online for new cameras... I seem to have lost my compact somehow in the move from my dorm back home, and all I have now (which I used for all the pictures of Flynn) is a Kodak EasyShare Z612. A big camera like that just isn't going to cut it... I need something small that I can take anywhere and everywhere. My other small camera (the lost one) was an Olympus that I got new in Oct 07... ehhh... it was okay. I took over 1000 pictures with it and truthfully, I'm not too heartbroken to have lost it.
WELL after reading This great review, I think I want this camera. One of my first digital cameras was a CyberShot, I loved it.
What do you think?

I have a Kodak Easyshare something, then my dad has a Sony Cybershot something...I would definately chose his camera over mine anyday. It's amazing.

I have a Sony Cybershot, but I have found that Sony is a little behind the competition in digital cameras. In particular, Sony's cameras have a problem with noise at high ISO levels. This becomes annoying when taking pictures of moving objects. I used to set a high ISO to reduce blur, but then I'd end up with an extremely grainy and dull picture.

Sony's compact cameras have an excellent video mode, however, and I will continue to use my digital camera as a camcorder :p. But if I were you, I'd look at brands that are more known for making digital cameras, like Nikon and Canon.

As a former book reviewer, I've got to say that really isn't a great review. I can tell that from the first and last paragraphs and I'm going to boldface the parts that make me say it..

Frankly, I find the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2 something of a market-segment mystery. It's identical to the T20 with a few exceptions--a smaller, somewhat cleaner design, a marginally larger LCD, 4GB internal memory, and some not-terribly-engaging playback options--none of which are worth the $50-plus premium. On the other end, for about the same price (on the street) you can get the T200 with its 5x zoom and significantly larger 3.5-inch LCD compared with the T2's 3x lens and 2.7-inch LCD. They all deliver almost identical performance and photo quality. So despite the fact that the T2 is a pretty good camera, I can't really come up with any situation in which it's the most sensible choice. Unless you want blue, green, or pink, colors not offered for the more staid T20 and T200.

and

Though it's a perfectly competent little camera, on the basis of features, image quality, and performance, there's little reason to opt for the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2 over the less expensive T20 or better-equipped T200. If you find the design a significant attraction, then I suggest you visit one in a local store before making the commitment.

I merchandise for Sony cameras and I talk to the sales clerks about them, etc. They do not like this camera and say it oftentimes is returned by the customer within the 30 day period (at least in my area). They say the only reason they would push a customer to buy it - is because the customer wants a certain color camera - versus a camera that takes good pictures.

However - if you really want the camera - then go ahead and get it....who knows - you may really enjoy it!

Oh, man.
I've been consistently dissapointed with every camera that I've bought. My dad recently got a Canon PowerShot and I just hate it. HATE IT. My Olympus is terrible for blue-eye (I know, sounds strange... I can't describe it) and grainy-blurry pictures. The Kodak is just too big and has a terrible lag time between each picture.
Suggestions, anyone?

I don't know :?. I was looking at your Kodak pictures on Flickr and they all look really nice! Much better than anything I could get out of my Sony Cybershot. I think if you go for a compact digital camera, the quality of pictures will suffer compared to the larger cameras. They are really convenient to carry around, but they also come with certain issues like massive red eye and hardly any zoom.

See, that's the funny thing- I only post like 1/100th of the pictures I take- most turn out terribly.
I've always really admired all of YOUR pictures- they're all so clear and pretty!

Jess_sully wrote:
See, that's the funny thing- I only post like 1/100th of the pictures I take- most turn out terribly.
I've always really admired all of YOUR pictures- they're all so clear and pretty!

LOL! I guess that's because I only post 1/100th of the pictures I take too :p

No matter how good the camera I have used if the subject is moving I will have more good pictures than good. Cept my current camera.

I was looking at getting a slimmer camera so I could carry it around more but the slimmer cameras just didn't compare to what mine does.

I love my easy share!

This is the one I have...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740_pg2.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740_pg3.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740_pg4.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740_pg5.html

I would read page 5. That one is a must.

These were taken with mine.

100_9923.jpg

100_9922.jpg

100_9921.jpg

100_9920.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9918.jpg

100_6785.jpg

(different Day)

100_9720.jpg

100_9703.jpg

100_9704.jpg

100_9705.jpg

100_9706.jpg

100_9708.jpg

100_9702.jpg

100_9701.jpg

I just purchased a Kodak EasyShare Z1275 (Refurbished) off Woot.com for $79.95 plus shipping and tax. It retails for $199.95 new.

I mostly like it. Close-ups and low light photos are a bit grainy. I am going to use all three of my cameras hopefully today to do some test shots - all 3 taking pictures of the same thing with the same lighting. I have a Nikon (which was giving me some issues which we think may be battery related), a Canon (that is definitely going back as I don't like the way the controls are on it) and the Kodak.

Here are a few pics that I really liked from the other day:

TryingnewKodakEasyShareJuly24200-100.jpg

Their eyes are supposed to be pink...

TryingnewKodakEasyShareJuly24200-37.jpg

The purple shirt is just as vivid as it is in real life...

TryingnewKodakEasyShareJuly24200-17.jpg

The colors for Miss Bea are true.....which amazes me

In these last two - I'm standing inside - taking photos of this bush about 20 or more feet away...I love how green it is - cause that is the way it looks here..

TryingnewKodakEasyShareJuly24200-3.jpg

TryingnewKodakEasyShareJuly24200-2.jpg

I know in my heart of hearts that Canon is the "best" brand if you read Consumer Reports (the one I bought was one of their top choices)....and that true camera geeks go for Canon and maybe Nikon over Kodak.

Now here's a tip - as a former reviewer. If you want to know what a reviewer thinks - pay special attention to the lead in paragraph and the final paragraph....especially the final one. The closing remarks tell you a lot.

I went to the website for Steve's Digicams reviews...and here is his final paragraph about my camera.....written back on Dec. 7th of last year.

[font="arial,helvetica"][font="arial,helvetica"]Bottom line - Featuring a 5x optical Schneider - Kreuznach Variogon zoom lens, a 12-megapixel imaging sensor, and user friendly design, this is a great camera for home or the office. It is easy enough for anyone to use with the fully automatic "Smart Scene" and pre-programmed scene modes, but also features a fully functional manual shooting mode for more experienced users. With a street price of US$229 or less, the Kodak Easyshare Z1275 Zoom offers a great combination of quality, performance and versatility, all without making a huge dent in your wallet this holiday season.[/font][/font]

[font="arial,helvetica"][font="arial,helvetica"]http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/kodak_z1275_pg5.html[/font][/font]

[font="arial,helvetica"][font="arial,helvetica"]
I'm not saying "get my camera". If you like low-light pictures or pictures that are really zoomed in - I think you won't be happy with it. I do hope to take more photos today and play with the camera a bit more.

But I just thought I'd share some about my Kodak EasyShare...

Oh - and I really do hope to find out how to keep the dog from getting green eyes.....
[/font][/font]

I'm about 99.5% sure that I don't want another Kodak easyshare, especially since I already have one. My main complaints with it are:
1) the flash- I'm not sure of the technically terms here, but it kind of whites/bleaches things out a lot- maybe there's a setting to fix this?
2) Without the flash- 96% of pictures are blurry
3) Hard to focus when zoomed
4) REALLY long time to wait between shots
5) Strange blue/green/red eye
6) Slight color bleeding on edges
7) Graininess when zoomed
Perhaps there are some settings to fix this? Problem is, my dad just gave me the camera when I realized that I lost my other one- so I don't have the user's manual or anything. It's about a year old.

I will still keep the easyshare, especially if I can figure out the settings more, for when I'm just taking bunny pictures or landscapes or what have you
BUT I need a smaller camera for when I'm out and about with friends and whatnot

Thanks for all of the sample pics!

Jess_sully wrote:
My main complaints with it are:
1) the flash- I'm not sure of the technically terms here, but it kind of whites/bleaches things out a lot- maybe there's a setting to fix this?
2) Without the flash- 96% of pictures are blurry

4) REALLY long time to wait between shots
5) Strange blue/green/red eye

The one's I've left in above are the same exact complaints for my Sony Cybershot DSC W50. #1 is a HUGE one with mine. Pictures look radioactive with flash on. Four more that pertain to my camera are:
  • 2-3 second focus timer when flash is off
  • ISO above 400 is extremely grainy and loses color at the same time
  • No custom white balance setting, so you have to settle for the presets of auto, daylight, cloudy incandescent, etc...and none of these worked with my lighting
  • After spending 2 seconds to focus, it focused incorrectly 50% of the time! (It couldn't handle a white baby gate in the background, and liked to focus on that)
After switching to a Nikon D40, I have had none of the above problems so far.

Which camera were most of the pictures of the Ronnie and Billy taken with?
I just LOVE all their pictures lol.
but then again, I guess maybe we're both deceiving others by only posting the good ones.

Jess_sully wrote:
Which camera were most of the pictures of the Ronnie and Billy taken with?
I just LOVE all their pictures lol.
but then again, I guess maybe we're both deceiving others by only posting the good ones.

All of them were taken with the Sony Cybershot because I just recently gave in and got the more expensive Nikon :camera

For the last month I was the crazy angry camera lady. :craziness I would yell at my camera every time I took a shot because it either focused on the baby gate, gave me the wrong colors, or waited until the bunny was long gone before deciding to snap the photo.

Since I only posted the good ones before, here's some bad ones ;)

With flash we get radioactive colors and a demon bunny:

DSC00350.jpg

This is what happens when auto white balance turns your bunny pink:

DSC06176.jpg

When there is a slight movement, such as a newspaper being chewed, the camera's shutterspeed cannot handle it:

DSC05357.jpg

And my personal favorite: When you've spent 2 seconds focusing on the bunny, only to have the camera autofocus on the baby gate behind him:

DSC05343.jpg

Enjoy! :biggrin2:

Sorry I've been busy and away. There are two thread going on about cameras now. I'll reply here since it's the current one.

Every camera has its advantages and disadvantages. If you take your time, you can get a good shot. Point and shoot cameras are great for size, they cantake pictures and videosbut they are like hybrid bikes. They do everything, but they don'tspecialize in any one thing.

If I got a smaller camera, my personal perference is a wider angle lens, a faster lens for low light and be able for me to set it myself.The camera will be used as a carry around,for torecord events and still shots. I wouldn't be using it to take pictures of bunnies or action. Now everybody will like one brand while others hate it. Its how you master the camera and take pictures to your satisfaction.

The camera companies are out to make money, and are comsumer driven to put things in cameras that make it attractive. Some of the newthings are face dectition for focus and a smile mode where the camera won't shoot unless the subject smiles.Stuff like that just compilcates things and slowsdown the camera.Some very good cameras were discontinued just because they didn't have all the bells and whistles.

Some people only need the simplist camera to take the greatest picture.

TinysMom, in trying to answer your questions, I will put them in this thread. :)

4 GB memory card is not a bad size, and it doesn't slow down your camera. :D I have a 16 GB card in my camera. ;)

You will need extra batteries though (maybe 3 sets). What kind of rechargeable batteries did you get?

For the green eyes,it is from the flash sitting directly above the lens and shooting straight into the pupils. No sure what makes some eyes green, while others are red.

I could only read the information on the larger pictures so I can't say too much about the smaller cropped pictures. I hope I don't confuse you, but there are some things I would like to try out.

Try staying with the autosetting (the green camera symbol on the dial), instead of the "smart scene" setting. Don't usethe longer telephotozoom unless you have bright outside lighting (stay with the widest zoom for the clearest and sharpest picture). And for the close ups of the bunnies, use your macro setting on the camera. Try setting your flash as fill instead of Auto.

Yes you can drop down to smaller megapixels. The smallest will give you better pictures in darker settings. It will speed up your camera in the transferring the image to memory (less information to process). You don't need it unless you are making enlargements. And it cuts down on your file size. The only advantage is it lets you crop the picture but that isn't the way to take good pictures.

Now I've been reading up on the various Nikon ultra compacts... and as Pet_Bunny said, every camera has it's advantages and disadvantages. How the heck do you choose just one? Most of the Nikon coolpix seem to be very similar, even in the reviews I read.
I think the only way I would be happy, as far as for more "artistic" pictures and bunny pictures- would be with a DSLR. But perhaps I should focus on the task at hand here, a nice SMALL camera, for more everyday photos.
Hmmm.
littlebaypoo- your "bad" ones are not nearly as bad as mine, although I definitely see the problems!. I'll have to upload some of the particularly terrible examples! I only have about... oh... 124 from Flynn's first exploration of the living room- and only that one was even salvageable. Rawr. :X

Back