Sometime's Ula's nether-regions have a very strong odour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
She's 4.5, spayed, and when I inspect her lower-half it is clean and debris free. But sometimes she wafts this overpowering onion smell. I once picked her up and my shoulder was left smelling like that.

Any thoughts?

I read about cleaning scent glands but I don't notice any waxy buildup. Does there need to be a visible buildup in order for the glands to be blocked? And can rabbit savvy vets do the scent gland cleaning?

Rotting onion smell certainly sounds to me like scent gland buildup! Sometimes it can really be stuck in there and you can't get it out unless you rub the area with a cotton swab with some mineral oil to open up the area and get the waxy material out.

A rabbit savvy vet can probably help you with it, but I haven't heard of it being a common service vets provide..?

Here's our library article on scent glands, it has some do-it-yourself help: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=55074&forum_id=10

That's a normal scent gland odor that can occasionally be strong (but doesn't necessarily indicate any buildup). Not much you can do about it unless the glands are removed (which normally isn't done.)

It's definitely not constant. It comes and goes. Would it be constant if it was buildup-related?

I'll mention it at her next checkup, although I'm concerned if it's buildup she might get an infection.

Honestly though, I've had her for 2.5 years and remember her sometimes having this odour when we initially adopted her, and ever since.

scentglands1.jpg

Just so everybody knows what we're talking about...

The flaps naturally close over the 'debris' and don't smell much unless they open. It could just be yours has the flaps opening and closing. Have you taken a close look and a whiff? :D

And I'll add that while I've cleaned a few of my bunnys' because I was eliminating potential sources of discomfort, I never really had to. And they only smelled at close range. But others here have had buns with strongly scented ones.

Maybe it depends on how full they get. I'll add that sometimes its like cottage cheese and sometimes it's like tar. ETA: I've seen it both ways and neither have caused problems.

And bunnies do also pass gas, but don't think that's 'onion' like. :ponder:

sas :bunnydance:

I always clean them because occasionally they can get blocked and infected (rare) and otherwise they are stinky. We have 4 bunnies in a 2 bedroom apartment, and at the shelter they have 8 bunnies in a modified storage closet, so stinkiness is a concern for all the bunnies I'm involved with.

Another possibility is that she's got cecals smeared down there. If you check when she stinks and it's clean then, it's probably not cecals.

Latest posts

Back