Sometimes they find you!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpuckett

Reaction score
Alright, I hadn't been planning on getting a rabbit for a few months, but it looks like I might have one now. Someone caught a rabbit in a parking lot across from my older brother's place of employ, and said if she didn't find a home for it before the end of the day, she was going to drop it off at the pound. My older brother knew my heart was broken by the passing of my Roxi, but gave me a call for me to at least "come and see if it is healthy" (which means "Come see it, because I know it is going to grab you by the heartstrings and not let go.")

So I drive across town to pick up this tiny bun-butt, which the lady said was angora, but seems at least mostly lionhead to me. He (Believe it to be a 'he', but his butt is pretty matted so stuff down there is kinda just messy right now). Besides the mats in his fur, he seems in great shape all things considered(besides feeling dreadfully underweight).

The only thing I am kind of concerned about is that there are no poos in the box he came home with me in, though I am hopeful that is just because he is stressed from outdoors and the transition to inside my apartment.

His temperament is amazing, and I am going to post some found rabbit signs around, because he is the sweetest thing, and I can't imagine someone dumping this angel outside.

Pictures to follow (Edit: Pictures won't be following as soon as I'd like because every battery in my house is dead x.x). Also, any advice on the best way to keep this little guy calm and to get him poopin is appreciated. Or just pop in to enjoy his cuteness.

Sounds like bunny has gone through some trauma being let loose in a parking lot. Transitions are hard on all animals but especially so on rabbits as they have a naturally nervous temperament. Just keep him in a quiet and stable area for now and talk to him in a soft voice and that should calm him. It may take a day or two to get him adjusted to his new environment so be patient & loving. Make sure he has pellets, hay & fresh water. If he has gone without water while he was abandoned chances are he wasnt eating either (rabbits wont eat if they are without fluids)- that may be one of the reasons why he hasnt "pooped". You dont know what his diet was before he was abandoned so keep to pellets & hay for now. Hay (Timothy) is very important for lionhead & angora breeds GI tract- rabbits constantly groom themselves and those breeds are especially prone to "fur block" and can die (brush him often to rmove loose hairs). You can also slowly introduce greens (such as fresh parsley & cilantro )in a few weeks... but do so slowly (a few here & there) as a rabbits GI tract is very sensitive to dietary changes.
I hope your new bun does well and starts improving. Sounds like he has had a hard time up till now. Good Luck!

Well, I have him in a medium size dog carrier for the moment. It is one of the plastic ones, so I think the covered top makes him feel safer. He has licked water off my fingers, but seems totally uninterested in a water bowl (will have to wait a few days to get a water bottle, I was totally unprepared to have a rabbit dropped in my lap). I have some grass in with him at the moment, figure if he has eaten anything in the past few days, it will have been some grasses. He could care less, but I think he will be hungry once some more fluids get into his body. I am mildly concerned (or code Yellow) at this point. He seems to be warming up and getting cozy, but I have never felt a rabbits hip bones stick out like this before.

Thanks for the advice.

His bones shouldnt be sticking out... sounds like he is definetly under-nourished. Poor lil' fella. Do you have some plain Cheerios? Buns usually love them as a treat and they might stimulate his appetite. The grass seems fine enough just as long as you are sure it hasnt been treated with any pesticides... but he will need pellets soon enough. Wouldnt worry about the water being in a bowl... just as long as the bun knows that is where the water is he will drink from it eventually.

We have pellets (though I fear they are a bit stale, new ones are going to be bought tomorrow), a bit of grass (since I don't have any hay) and a small piece of kale (only a small bit bigger then my thumb nail, to try and get his appetite going).
But you are right, I do have cheerios and Roxi loved them. Great idea!

Well, he has finally started drinking, but only if I hold the little bowl for him to drink from. He has also eaten five (I know, what a huge number) of wet cheerios, and had a tiny nibble of kale. I don't know why, but that alone makes me feel better.

rpuckett wrote:
Well, he has finally started drinking, but only if I hold the little bowl for him to drink from. He has also eaten five (I know, what a huge number) of wet cheerios, and had a tiny nibble of kale. I don't know why, but that alone makes me feel better.
as long as he is eating SOMETHING it should decrease your stress.

I personally wouldn't put posters up. If his previous owners were willing to care for him so poorly that he did get out and get to this state, it would probably be dangerous to give him back

rpuckett wrote:
He just had a seizure, and it is probably the most horrible thing i've ever seen. making a post in the infirmary now.
oh gosh. please link me to the post? ic ant seem to find it

Sorry to hear about all the added problems the poor little one is having. I totally agree with not putting up any flyers about a lost rabbit as we consider them to be a waste of time and resources. In the papers we've seen all kinds of ads for "found" bunnies over the last 8 plus years, but never even one add for a "lost" bunny. His condition should speak volumes to you about his previous owners (we won't dignify them using the word slaves). We've known two people who lost their bunnies, but, they were in actual fact stolen and later recovered--one from a pound and they were able to identify the culprit to the police and one at a "friends" house. One of our rescues was let go by a neighbor that lived directly behind us--they made no effort to recover the little treasure they turned loose on the streets, and she was a really sweet little Dutch Girl. We will keep you and your charge in our thoughts and prayers and hope for a happy solution.:pray:

Back