Sometimes my buns is very mean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milano99

Reaction score
I had got my bunny for my grandchild(2 yearsold)at easter. Then my grandchild moved out, I had got attached to mybun (Jody) so he stayed with me. Now my problem is that he is not avery friendly bunny he is very jumpy ( no pun intended) and does notlike to be held. Since he is now about 9 months old, does anyone haveany types on how to retrain him to be a loving cuddly bunny. He islitter box trainned and really is a smart bunny but I just want him tobe more loving.

Alot of bunnies arent just the type of animalsthat like to cuddle like a cat or dog. Mine will put up withme for a few before they insist on being put down. I really dont haveany suggestions on how to retrain him to be more friendly. One thingthough is that he is still young, so at his age i beleive they say heis like a moody teenager lol. Ever try and hold a moodyteenager. My bunnies came to me all grown.

Cristy

I am sure others will come forward with betteradvice, as I am still learning about buns as it is, but 9 mo. does seemto be the "moody teenager" stage, alot of people were going throughthis not too long ago on this board! Is your bun a male orfemale? spaying or nutering is said to help calm abunny down and take away some of its aggression, and it isalso better for the health of your bun down the road, you may trythat. A lot of buns do not like to be picked up at all, maybetry sitting by the cage of your bun and talk to it a calm voice,letting it come out on its own? I don't know if any of thishelps, hopefully things will get better for you! Tracy

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum!

Yep! All bunnies are different, but they do seem to change as time goesby. 2 of my 5 buns like to be held and petted. The other 3 could takeit or leave it (or not take it at all). Benji was quite aggressive whenhe was a teen-bun. He's almost a year and a half now. After we got himneutered he calmed down a lot. He still doesn't like to cuddle, but heputs up with us better than before. All of the buns like it if we sitor lay on the floor with them and just let them kind of explore ontheir own.
Is Jody fixed?

Jim

My bunny Stephie loves to be petted and will evennudge my hand when she wants to be petted. But try to pick her up, andall heck brakes loose. I've heard that most bunnies prefer terra firma.

Is he neutered?

Bo likes to lay on my chest with his head on my shoulder, for ear rubsand petting. If he's in the mood for ear rubs or cheek rubsand I stop, he'll dig on me and bite my shirt and tug on it LOL!

Thank you so much for the advise about gettinghim fixed. I just can't believe it though, our local vet wants 120.00to do it. Is this a normal price? That is what they charge for a 60 lbdog. I guess I might have to call around to other vets. I thought itwould be about the same as a cat,which is around $40.:(

i would try getting him neutered. thevets in my area charge a fair amount for "exotics" and mostalso require a check up before they will do the surgery. youcould check with your local humane society/animal rescue.most have vets on staff and they spay/neuter for a good price becausethey are advocates of the procedure. neutering also helps toextend the lifespan because it eliminates the risk of testicularcancer. it also eliminates/prohibits so many badbehaviors. he will probably become a happier bunny if it isdone, although all bunnies have their own personalities (my sage ismuch more cuddly then his female counterparts daisy and basil) so hemight not be cuddly, but he should be easier to handle. :)

I just got our cat spayed and it was almost 100dollars.and i did check prices first.my daughter paid over 100 dollarsto get her ferret spayed.but he was the only vet that would spay aferret.bluebird

I know what you mean. That's exactly how Starracts. But I posted a message and learned some stuff, but the mostimportant (to me) is to spend TONS of time with your bunny.Glad to help, CaliBunny:D

Welcome to the forums Milano,

Hecks, your bunny sounds just like Emmy when we first gother. She wouldn't let ANYONE even touch her or pick her up. If we did,she would jump out of our arms and just growl at us. It was prettyscary. But now, Emmy's attitude it now nice and calmer than before.Just try cuddling with her on the couch when your watching tv, or trygrooming her from time to time to show that you don't bring any harm.Well, good luck!

--» Katy.

Well, Jody is generally quite well-behaved. Hejust doesn't like to be picked up. When I get him near his cage, heliterally flies out of my hands into the cage. He gets his playtimeoutside his cage daily, either in the kitchen or my home office, forusually about an hour. He generally doesn't get more time because wehave an older female cat. and we're not sure what the reaction would beon either side. We're going to get him fixed after the beginning of theyear, and when our cat finally passes (she's almost 12), he will get alot more time out and about.

Joel (and Cindy -- we both post under this handle)

My bunny does not liked to be picked up at all. Ithink he is afraid of heights. But he loves being pet while on theground. Also he loves when we sit on the floor with him, thisis the only time I get kisses.

I'm not very experienced, but can empathise. Oneof the new adult bunnies we got last week, Isis, is a vicious nightmareof a bunny, causing me to wonder what her last owner did to her.

She bites HARD if we try and cuddle her, and if we put her onour knee, she digs and tears clothes to pieces in seconds. I swear shewent for my throat yesterday! (Reminiscent of the evil bunnyin the Monty Python film!!) We are persevering with her but it's hardwhen all you get is teeth and growls, and the other buns are all solovely.

Just keep trying; that's all we can do! Treats will help, I'm sure.

Lindsey

Actually, 120 dollars is cheap to get a rabbitfixed in my area. The cheapest I've found in the Pittsburgh area is140. Make sure you take it to vet with rabbit experience.

Latest posts

Back