Something's not right......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LkristalJ

Reaction score
So it seems like Moo is INTENT on making me worry incessantly about him!!!

Today I took him outside to run around and usually he runs around like a crazy lil guy, darting, turning, stopping suddenly.. So, I'm pretty sure this is what caused this problem..

He took off and I heard a loud bang.. When I went to see him, he was standing in one spot and then he basically just started going in circles, but backwards and sort of shaking his head.. Then he just sat down in one place.. And that's all he's doing.. Brought him inside on the carpet, in his cage.. Huddled in one spot.. He's not walking or hopping or anything.. He doesn't want grass, pellets, water or even apple.. That's the worrying part.. He usually goes crazy for apple..

Right now he's in his cage and he's being so quiet, completely uncharacteristic.. I know that something is wrong with him.. On the somewhat bright side (if you can call it that), he's not squealing or screaming..

So, I just did a little examination to see if he jumped when I touched anywhere.. And he does jump if I put pressure on his left underside of his belly.. Could it be that he skid on the concrete?? I don't know.. I am certainly worried..

Called the vet and he said to bring him in tomorrow morning at 8. He's staying in my room for the night.. But I don't know how I'd be able to sleep..

Any suggestions??

:pray:

The shaking of his head reminds me of head trauma from what I've researched. If you even suspect head trauma, find a 24-hour emergency care center immediately!

But if your vet has all the information you put here and still wanted an appointment at 8am instead of immediately, then I would assume he's safe and it's nothing that will kill him overnight.

Hope everything turns out okay with Moo!

Well, he's stopped shaking his head.. It was just for a minute or so after what I suspect was the initial blow..

As far as I know, there are no 24 hours vet clinics here in Trinidad.. And that's what I was thinking as well.. I told him everything and he still said 8 in the morning to be examined..

He hasn't eaten or drank anything though.. And he's usually always munching, so it's wise to assume he's in pain..

*sigh..

That's good, then. Less to worry about!

Another thing I've read is that laying down and refusing to move after an accident regarding a rabbit's abdomen could be a sign of a rib injury. The rabbit would also stop eating and drinking to immobilize the area. Since the vet is okay with the time, I would avoid touching his chest and make sure he's in a safe place for the night. Watch to see if he's moved in the morning! But it sounds like he'll be fine. =)

Well, he's in his cage which is staying the night in my room.. So, he's definitely safe.. I'm hoping that some pain meds will ease the pain and there's nothing serious that happened.. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight..

i know some people on here have dealt with a lot worse.. But still, he's my life!

Waiting will definitely be hard, but you should sleep better knowing your bun should be okay. He's most likely in a little bit of pain, so any medication you have saved over from a previous accident should help (assuming he's the same weight as before so he doesn't get too much or too little). Just remember to tell the vet in the morning that you gave him some medication for the pain. That should get him through the night just fine. I have a feeling that when you see him sleeping peacefully, you'll be able to sleep tonight. =)

This is the first time anything physical has gone wrong with him! :( .. So I've nothing.. Just some simethicone from a recent gas scare.. Lol.

I know he's in a lot of pain.. He has to be.. He's not eating or being himself.. I just want my bunny back! :(

I have no advice to offer, but I hope your Moo gets well.

Try to get some sleep. Use a sleeping bag to sleep by Moo, and I'm sure your company will comfort him in the meantime (until you get to the vet's office).

Good luck and get well.

Thank you.. His cage is on the side of my bed.. So, I'm hoping he gets comfort from just being in my room.. I'm trying to sleep, but I keep hearing every little noise, or slight shift he makes.. Which makes it impossible for me sleep!

Luck be with you today. Sounded like he was trying to find a comfortable spot. This is good. At least you knew he was moving.

Hoping the best for Moo. And you. I know it must be a complete worry. I know I would be.

Please keep us informed on your Sweet Moo. And post what the Vet says as soon as you can.

Wishing you luck.

K :)

All you can do is make sure Moo is as comfortable as he can be, give an old pillow to prop himself up against and a nice blanky just for added comfort, I'm sure if he was very hurt he would be squealing.
Hope Moo is ok, keep us updated

K.. Just got back from the vet.. He says nothing appears to be broken or swollen or anything of the sort.. Slight relief there.. His temp is ok.. But he still isn't eating.. He gave me some pain meds to give him twice a day and hopefully this will help and he'd start back eating.. It's 10.31am here today.. Friday.. And he said if by Sunday he doesn't improve, he'd have to go for x-rays and blood work and what not.. He did hop around a bit today..

When I was giving him the meds he was grinding his teeth loud.. Don't think he enjoyed it very much.. If by this afternoon he doesn't eat I will force feed him as much as I possibly can.. I did get 1 ml of water with mashed up pellets inside him this morning.. Accompanied with grinding (which hurts my ears to hear) and struggling.

That's as much as I can say now.. Any updates and I'll post.

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice/comfort.

Sooo.. Update! Moo seems to be coming along pretty well!! After the first dose of medicine yesterday, he had four little pieces of carrot, apple, some pellets!! Today, he's back to what I'd say is 95% of his regular self.. The only not so regular is that are are some weird shaped poops.. But mainly they're regular! And he is definitely eating more or less regularly now.. Grass, apple, pellets!.. Once he gobbled up the apple I knew he was feeling better, because he LOVES apples and the day that it happened, he wasn't interested in it at all!

He's also moving around and very active in his cage, trying to poke his head through anytime I open the door [as well as outside.. He tried to run away countless times when I was giving him his meds today..]

I'm thinking he did get a blow but it was more fright/shock that affected him than the actual impact!

The medicine is due to finish tomorrow [was a 3 day course].. So hopefully by Monday morning he'd be perfect.

Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice and kind words!

Latest posts

Back