Something smells like spoiled milk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
In the last few days, Chance has been having off and on mushy poo. The vet knows this, we've did the fecals, ect. His mushy poo is back to normal poo as of late last night.

However, I started noticing last night that his... something, smells like spoiled milk. I mean litterally, exactly like spoiled milk. And strong.But I can't tell if it's his urine or poops. I do know that his hind end smells rancid from it though, ugh.

I have my vet's cell phone number, he told me to call anytime this weekend that there was a change, or if I had any concerns. It's almost9pm and he's out with his boy at the moment, so I hate to bother him tonight.

Does this sound like cause for concern? Per the advice of my vet, we'vebeen keeping a close eye on the poopy and the pee pee. And this is thefirst in the weeks he's been sick that I've smelled this icky, odd smell.

:anyone:

Wow! That's really weird :?, and worrying! I cant say rancid milk is something I have ever associated with rabbit smells before. Hopefully someone can come and help you more.

Poor Chance :pinkpansy:

Has he had anything different to eat? drink?

Is he drinking enough?

I don't know what to tell you - sorry. I've never ever heard of anything like that.

Peg

Wow :shock:Thts it! My Rosie made a pee pee today, and thats pretty much what it smelt like! I gagged cleaning it up, it was possibly slightly worse than spoiled milk....maybe spoiled milk that has been spoiled for a longtime...really long...Not saying much... just,yeah..... nasty. I'm worried about her. There's something just not right about her lately.

Hope your boy is ok, though... but your not alone!

:hearts

Mira, glad to hear I'm not alone! (Not glad to hear your gal is not feeling well though! Give her a nose rub for me!)

Peg, it really is strange, and very rancid like Mira said.

He hasn't had anything different to eat or drink today. He did have a small bowl of freshly cut clovers afew days ago, but all my boys get those. He gets a bit less because of his problems, but still gets some none the less. Didn't seem to bother him and the smell only got really bad this evening, though I noticed it slightly starting last night.

He's still eating and drinking fine today, nothing unusual. Even his activity level has improved today. He has his good days where he's happy and active, then he has his bad days where he has no appetite,grinds his teeth, and sits in a corner. He changes from day to day.

Today was a good day -- for both of us. :)

As long as his activity and appetite stay the same tomorrow, I'll just wait until Monday to mention it to the vet. Of course, if anything changes, I'll give the vet a call and see what he wants to do.

Was just searching sour milk smell on the web & this old thread is the only thing noteworthy to appear. My head tilt girl Spooky has this smell lately & I couldn't decide if it was coming from an ear, or the other end?! Hopefully her vet will appear at a local animal hospital in July, but until then, (or sooner, with another vet), did anyone ever find out what was causing this smell? THANKS!

Is he an inside or outside bunn? If his rear end smells that badly, I'd be concerned about fly strike. Take a thorough look at his bottom, is it red and inflamed, stained with urine, etc?

Is he an inside or outside bunn? If his rear end smells that badly, I'd be concerned about fly strike. Take a thorough look at his bottom, is it red and inflamed, stained with urine, etc?

Mine's an indoor bunny. I'll give Spooky an even more thorough going over & report here if I see anything amiss on that end.

Being an inside bunn it's unlikely that it's fly strike, but I thought I would mention it. There's a good chance that the fur is likely soiled with urine and/or poop and it's just smelling with age. You could try giving a butt bath or wiping it down with unscented baby wipes.

Latest posts

Back