Something is wrong with Dolla

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not sure about you over thinkng it. maybe mke some more room 2 run round in. i no my rabbit caramel will not pee/poop out side her litter box.....

give it a go. but im only a newbie rabbit owner.. so wait for other replys...

ps never never ever give rabbits lettuce. in large amounts it can kill..... cabage is ok, but NO lettuce!

:nonono: ok :clover::rant: rant over now!:biggrin2:

Just wanted to say that romaine lettuce is ok, it'c iceberg lettuce that is a big no no :)

Did she have anymore lettuce than normal? Or manage to get her little paws on anything around your house or in her area? Like a plant or piece of human food or something random like that?

It's good she is doing better :) The smushy poo are still a sign something is wrong, but hopefully if you keep pushing the hay and hold off on the other stuff it should ease :)

Yeah, what Flashy said. :p

All she has right now is hay and water. I cleaned out her litter box and gave her some fresh hay. Hopefully I only see solid poos now!

Thanks soooo much everyone! :hearts

A little update! :)
I have her out right now running around. She is definitely much better! She's eating hay, pooping solidly, drinking water, and and being adventurous!

I'm really glad that she's better...

Don't give her any pellets or veggies today ..just hay and water

I don' think the mushy poops or excess cecals has anything to do with the space being smaller although the bigger the area to move around the better

A rabbit can have certain lettuces like romaine, endive , green leaf.. icebergis not advised, however specific rabbits have specific sensitivities . For ex. I cannot give one of my rabbits more than one leaf of romaine or he gets mushy poops..but he has no problems with a lot of cilantro or parsley. I cannot give one of my rabbits any kale because ifI do he will get gas and out comes the simethicone .........so I just stopped giving him kale altogether.
I am wondering first how oldDolla is and secondly what brand of pellet do you feed and what quantity of pellet. Also what else is in her normal diet?
Also it would benefit you greatly to get benebac either in the little tubes or in the powdered form. It is sold at Petco and would benefit her a lot in this situation. / also and in future situations.

As Randy says... it stabilizes the ph in her GI tract so good bacteria can flourish. A
Probiotic like benebac are also sold under various names for horses in farm stores. one of them is called probios ..it would come in a huge tube but would also be similar to benebac and could be used instead in very small amounts.

I'm so glad to hear Dolla is doing better! I hope she continues to improve :) You should post pictures of her healthy new self!

angieluv- thank you so much for your help! I'll look at the link when I finish this post!

I will continue to only give her hay and water. Should I give her pellets in the morning or wait and see how she is?

Also, should I keep her up here with me? It's warmer up here then in the basement. I feel bad for Domino. She's probably missing Dolla. I'll have to bring her up to visit. I really don't want to keep both of them up here as the cage is rather small for two bunnies. :?

As for her diet-
She's fed 1/8 cup pellets in the morning
At night she's fed 1/8 cup pellets and then some veggies. It's a small amount shared between her and Domino and usually Domino eats more of it.

Dolla is about 7 months old (I'm not totally sure as she was a rescue).

The pellet brand is Nutrena.

EDIT: Oh yes! I will have to take pictures! :)

angieluv wrote:
Also it would benefit you greatly to get benebac either in the little tubes or in the powdered form. It is sold at Petco and would benefit her a lot in this situation. / also and in future situations.

We don't have a petco here and we don't have any farms stores in town here. But we do have two other pet stores that might have it. One is petsmart. I'm going to ask my mom when she gets home if we can check it out.

I looked at petsmart online and it says they have it for cats, dogs, and birds.
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=bene bac&origkw=BeneBac&sr=1
Is there one for small animals?

My poor little girl!

Petsmart carries the little packs of Benebac, you can use the kitten/puppy versions. It's exactly the same stuff.

I'd let Dolla and Domino stay together, personally. When they're bonded, they tend to get more stressed and upset when they're kept apart. I always leave my guys together.

Let me know if you need anything!

I am fairly sure that the dog and cat benebac is the same as the small animal soI would go ahead and get some of that. The powdered comes in a bigger bottle and is easier to give my rabbits as I mix it with a tiny piece of banana but I've use the gel in the tubes too.

I have been trying to find out something about Nutrena as a pellet and I cannot find out much but my hunch fromwhat I'm seeing is that this is not a quality pellet and is for "breeders and growers" in other words it is listed as a "livestock feed'. I am guessing that it is very high in protein and low in fiber and meant for meat rabbits or breeder rabbits .

Someone will have to correct me as this is just info thatI gleaned from looking it up on-line. I cannot find a list of ingredients.

I don't know what your financial situation is but it is probably this pellet that is causing the problems and it would be wise to start switching her over to a timothy pellet.
If you don't want to invest in the best... Oxbow BBT (I have to order it ) you can get kaytee timothy comlete rabbit pellets at Petsmart which is a decent timothy pellet. and begin to slowly (I mean very slowly slowly mix the Nutrena with the timothy pellet ) and over the period of a month or so get her off the Nutrena and onto something better.
you also want to examine the quality of the hay that she is geting and make sure that it is fresh .
These would be good investments in her health.

I use kaytee timothy complete rabbit pellets for 6 of my 7 rabbits but I buy it at farm and fleet instead of petsmart because it is way cheaper there.
if you are in wi. you must have a farm and fleet or fleet farm somewhere around you???

I looked at the Nutrena feed once and it's a good quality alfalfa pellet. With Dolla's age and long fur, she probably should stay on alfalfa pellets for now.;)

Although if you'd like to try something with slightly less protein, Heinhold has some 15% protein stuff. They have it at the Adell feed store if you can find someone to drive down there. That's what I'm feeding Dora actually. I don't think anyone in town has Oxbow's alfalfa pellet.

Maybe stop feeding her alfalfa hay, if you still are?

If you have a Mounds or Animart around, they carry the BBT and or Oxbow 15/23, which is their alfalfa pellet. So do many PetSmarts.

I got some of the Benebac. How much do I give her and how often? (sorry if that was said already.) I got the liquid form (I left before I saw your post angie).

We do have a fleet farm but it's about 15-20 minutes away (I know not that far but that's a 30 minute round trip).

Angie, if you'd like to know the ingredients of the food i have the info on a slip of paper right in front of me. :)

I've thought about giving her Oxbow pellets but she started to go fine with the pellets I had so I never did much more about it. :?

Naturestee, I'm not currently feeding her alfalfa hay as I was worried about the high protein with her. And I pmed you!

Sorry I'm sort of typing this fast! I'm trying to finish a project for school that slipped my mind over the weekend. :embarrassed:

Angela (naturestee) knows a lot about food so I won't question her judgement on that pelletbut I never heard of that pellet. she knows her stuff, however, so I would say continue with the nutrena unlessDolla continues withproblems;I am just trying to figure out why Dolla has poopy butt when it seems as if you are doing things correctly.

I would still hold pellets tomorrow also and just give hay and water and go day by day with that.
unfortunately i don't think that the avian benebac is the same as the dog/cat/small animal but I will pm Randy as he will know

in terms of the pellets a lot is determined by her age. Angela thinks a bun should have alfalfa pellets for up to a year wheras others get them onto timothy pellets sooner. alfalfa is important while the rabbit is growing . but after the rabbit has stopped growing if you are not going to breed there is no need for all that protein.

if you have time you could just list the first 3-4 ingredients in nutrena and then list the the fibre content, protein content, and fat content . I'm just interested for my own knowledge of pellets.

hold off on the benebac until you or i hear from randy..
if dolla is doing Ok tonight you don't have to post all this info tonight but just go ahead and do your schoolwork

We want you to get an A in rabbit knowledge but not flunk all your other school courses :biggrin2:

hehe thanks angie! I'll post a quick reply! :biggrin2:

I didn't get the bird stuff. I got the stuff that was in the cat section. It says "for mammals" on it so I think that's okay, right?

Where I get my pellets I can choose between 16, 17 and 18 % protien. I have the 16%.

Protein: 16%
Fiber: 18%
Fat: 2.5%

Hope that's helpful. :)

And Dolla's doing okay. She's eating hay as I type. I put Domino with her for the night too. I think she's much happier. They are cuddled up together night now. :)

Once again thank you sooo much everyone! I don't know what I would have done without you all. :group:

That pellet is OK for now but when she is full grown it needs more fiber and less fat

I didn't know that cat benebac came in a liquid..I don't know how much to tell you to give because i never had it..what's it sayto give a cat. ???

now i have to pm randy as i told him that you bought bird benebac :biggrin2:

I pmd Randy so as long as she is Ok don't give the benebac until we clarify the dose

Now I'm going to :litterhealthy:the bathroom and then I'm going to
:bed::biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back