Something is wrong with Dolla

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just cut the top off the little tube and try to squeeze about half of it into her mouth. you can give the whole thing but mine really hate it andI just give them a little at a time.
Iforgot to say the cat benebac is fine

I just pmd Randy 3 times in a row..he's going to think I'm a nut :tongue
now I really really really am going to

:bed::zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz:zzzzz

Hi,

Couple of additional comments on this thread. There are numerous probiotics available....I just have had the best success with Bene-Bac. There is a difference in avian and mammal versions (regarding certain strains of bacteria). In most pet stores it is found in the dog or cat section. It's pretty much the same for all mammals. Most vets carry probiotics such as Bene-Bac. If nothing else, go to a health food store and get powdered non-dairy acidophilis. For those of you that are interested, I buy Bene-Bac in a large tub from Chris' Squirrel Store.

www.squirrelsandmore.com

The paste you bought is the correct type. It is called a "One Shot". It's about a gram so she should get one entire tube per day. The powdered version is much less costly.

And a couple of words about lettuce and greens. Romaine is generally regarded as a "safe" green, in moderation of course. Iceberg is best avoided but it does have some value in extreme dehydration issues as it is nearly all water but contains little nutrition. But as a general rule, avoid iceberg. While rabbits are like people and some can tolerate some things and not others, most rabbits do not handle cabbage well and it causes gas in many rabbits.

I would stick to basics for a day or two....hay and water. Then reintroduce pellets gradually.

This is another example of not over doing things with a GI issue. Stick to Bunny 101 and keep things basic.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I'll probably get the powder form when I need it next. Should I give some to Dolla today?

Oh and I've never fed cabbage. I heard to causes gas (like you said).

And an update... She's doing just fine (as far as I can tell). She's out right now with Domino. They are both just snuggled together now but before Dolla was running all around. I got pictures! :biggrin2: I'll have to upload some!

It sounds like cocidiosis how old is the rabbit?
If she is under 6mo she should not be fed fresh fruit & veggies. You can make the diharea go away by giving her Old Fashioned Oats NOT Quick Oats the Old Fashioned don't puff up when they are in their stomach. What brand of food do you feed her? Whats in it?

-Hannah

Hi Boz,

Just wanted to let you know that if you are in the Sheboygan area, the Sheboygan Animal Clinic carries the bene-bac in gel-form. The tube holds about 15 doses and costs about $13.00. Dr. Travis had prescribed it for Patrick when he was done with his antibiotics from his very first dental. I was actually able to get my vet here in Manitowoc to carry bene-bac because no vet in Manitowoc County heard of it, much less carried it. The cost here is about $10.00 for the same stuff as what the Sheboygan vet carries.

Bene-bac is now a staple of my bunny-emergency-kit. So if I suspect anything abnormal in Patch, Luna, or Zappa's behavior, I immediately start something (bene-bac or simethicone) to be on the safe sideof catching the upset tummy before it gets to the point of too much pain with no eating or poo'ing. Neither will hurt the bunnies, so a dose at the on-set becomes a bit of peace of for me if they turn around quickly.

Hope I helped,

myheart

Tinkerbell Rabbitry wrote:
It sounds like cocidiosis how old is the rabbit?
If she is under 6mo she should not be fed fresh fruit & veggies. You can make the diharea go away by giving her Old Fashioned Oats NOT Quick Oats the Old Fashioned don't puff up when they are in their stomach. What brand of food do you feed her? Whats in it?

-Hannah

Most of those are answered above. ;)
Dolla is about 7 months old.
The food is called Nutrena.
Naturestee said it looked good to her and that's why I went with it.

myheart wrote:
Hi Boz,

Just wanted to let you know that if you are in the Sheboygan area, the Sheboygan Animal Clinic carries the bene-bac in gel-form. The tube holds about 15 doses and costs about $13.00. Dr. Travis had prescribed it for Patrick when he was done with his antibiotics from his very first dental. I was actually able to get my vet here in Manitowoc to carry bene-bac because no vet in Manitowoc County heard of it, much less carried it. The cost here is about $10.00 for the same stuff as what the Sheboygan vet carries.

Bene-bac is now a staple of my bunny-emergency-kit. So if I suspect anything abnormal in Patch, Luna, or Zappa's behavior, I immediately start something (bene-bac or simethicone) to be on the safe sideof catching the upset tummy before it gets to the point of too much pain with no eating or poo'ing. Neither will hurt the bunnies, so a dose at the on-set becomes a bit of peace of for me if they turn around quickly.

Hope I helped,

myheart

Thanks myheart!

I never gave Dolla any bene-bac. I wasn't sure if I should since she's doing just fine now. Both her and Domino are back in their pen. She's eating and drinking, pooing and peeing. I haven't given her any pellets since Sunday morning and I don't think she's too happy about it! :p

So now I'm stuck on what the next step is. Should I slowly introduce her back to pellets? Should I find new pellets for her? How much should I feed her at first? I know "very little" but how much is very little? Very little to me could be a lot to someone else.
Should I start a new post in the Nutrition and Behavior section?

Sorry I'm so full of questions! :embarrassed:

I'm so glad she's better! I need to snuggle that little girl.

I'd slowly start adding pellets back in. Start with just a tablespoon once a day and work up slowly. She's old enough that you can start limiting her pellets now, if you weren't before. I wouldn't switch pellet brands yet, wait and see if adding the old stuff back in causes problems for her or not.

I gave Dolla some Bene-bac.
Didn't someone say that the gel form tastes pretty nasty and most bunnies don't like it? Oh! Angie, you said your rabbits didn't like it!
Well....
Dolla loved it. She was licking it off the tube and everything!

I gave her and Domino a tablespoon of pellets to share. I just want to be super cautious. I noticed some soft poo today but I saw a LOT of solid ones (Domino and Dolla's poo is different size). I'm watching close.

Latest posts

Back