Something is wrong with Batty...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisy126

Reaction score
*apologizes for being inactive* I have been extremely busy with school and have not had much time to get on RO.
Anyway, enough of me, now the reason for the topic...
We had a death in our family and had to travel out-of-state, our (human) rabbit friend watched and took care of the buns for us (we have three including Batty). We got back late last night and this afternoon I went to feed Batty, he did not come and greet me as usual and he did not want to eat, then I heard him grinding his teeth. I thought he was just chewing cud, but it got very loud (and I can still here him, 2 feet away from me laying next to his cat companion). His belly is swollen as well. We called our rabbit friend, she said it could be a hairball, which is could be deadly. Thankfully, we have not one, but two rabbit vets around us:hearts:. The only things that are in his cage are a stuffed animal and a bird toy that has some sort of strings on it.
Gah, I should have had all-wood toys, I feel so bad. I've already lost one rabbit thanks to some animal and I always think I could have prevented it. Does anyone think it could be something different? He sounds like an alarmed squirrel:(. I'm glad Maisy is next to him, she seems to understand him very well:).

Ugh, he sounds bad, sorry to say.

Teeth grinding like that is usually pretty extreme pain. The vet needs to administer pain killers and take an xray, I'd rush him in pronto. Some gas meds ASAP might help as well.

Poor Batty!

sas :pray:

Just to expand on my last post, it can be a blockage from the string, but it can also be a virus or any number of things. (ETA: Is he molting per chance?)

The main question will be what his poops were like as this came about. If they started getting smaller and then stopped, that is a GI stasis situation, which is commonly referred to as a 'hairball.'

It they were normal size and stopped suddenly, that's also something to mention, it may be a gas attack or something else.

If he's had diarrhea at all, it could be different again. It's possible he has bloat, althoughnot likely.

Also monitor his urine, it's possible his pain is from something else like a bladder or kidney stone (or any number of otherthings).

Best immediate treatment before getting him into the vet pronto would be simethiconegasdrops andgentle tummy massage. If the massage seems to help, then it's likely the gas causing the pain.

In that case, give him gas meds and get him moving. Moving around or even vibrating therapy (I put mine on top of a running drier) will help break up the gas bubble.

If you're giving him baby gas meds or adult gas meds even , just remember than bunnies need a lot of it. A small rabbit will take over 1 CC of baby gas drops and probably a quartertablet of adult gas meds.

I use Baby Motrin for pain relief, but I really think that has to be the vet's call.

Above all else at this stage, keep him warm. Pain causes shock.

sas :clover:

Thanks sas, very helpful:).
Though, right after I typed, we went to the vet, he did an x-ray and thought there was some gas, but now my mom has felt the hairball which ugh, I can't say how big it is via typing:p. Yes, he is in a molt, we think that might have had something to do with it. Our neighbor gave some -iceberg- lettuce to him, but that might not have done anything, it was yesterday or the day before, just something to keep in mind.
When I first brought him in, he pooped a couple poops that were half the size of his normal ones, and peed a little. But since the vet, he has not done anything else.

The vet told us to syringe feed him 5 cc of fresh pineapple juice every other hour and then 10 cc of apple juice every other hour (every hour the juice alternates). Poor guy, he is doing so well when we feed him, he's apparently distressed (probably because of the pain like you said). All he's doing is laying down, I feel so sorry for him, I hope it turns out okay:?.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the dryer therapy:p.

Oh no! I'm so sorry about Batty. I hope he gets better.

:pray:

Emily (BlueSky) had the same problem with her bunny Magic. He had Gastric Statis. And she gave him pineapple and some other things and he got better. So I hope it's the same with Batty. So you could maybe message her and ask her what else she did, if Batty has Gastric Statis.

~

Karlee

Thank you angie, he seems to have the er, symptoms(?) of GI stasis:(. But the good thing is, he has gone potty this morning and his poops are normal size:) as well as him tummy is not swollen. It could have been he was sensitive to the lettuce, gut I could be wrong, he might have just been over-cleaning himself cause I was gone. And he had no hay, so it might have been lack of fiber. But I'll get him outside and get him moving, he is not lying down or grinding anymore (thank goodness) and he is his little onary (sp?) self:p. He's quite happy with the aboundance of hay sitting in front of his door lol.
No, I havn't been giving him smithicone, just the juices which he drinks enjoyingly from the syringe. I'll also massage his belly and see if that helps (and look for some smithicone if you think it will help).

:purplepansy:Emma

I would continue to treat him today; GI stasis is really serious. I hope that you continue to provide him with hay; it is the most important thing that a rabbit can eat.

the simethicone is for gas ..so (in the future)when he isis sitting hunched up, grinding his teeth he probably needs gas meds ,you can get liquid baby gas medication (simethicone) at the drugstore ;It's good to keep that on hand anyway.

please keep contact with your vet and follow his instructions.
let us know also how he is doing........

Yes, I will definitely keep giving him juices. Thank you for your information angie:hug:, I guess it would be prudent to assemble a first-aid kit for any future sicknesses (that is quite a strange word).

:purplepansy:Emma

Back