Someone please help - ILL AGAIN

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Wiggles is dying :cry1:I dunno what happened, I dunno everyone else is fine. I feel like such an idiot. My baby is dying and i have nowhere to go :cry1:

What's up? :shock:

What can I do? :?

sas :nerves1

Same here, anything we can do to help? What are her symptoms?

For now, saying lots of prayersfor your little girl. :pray:

It's too late :cry1:I'm too late :cry1:She's too far gone :cry1:It's all my fault. I was so busy with checking the foster that I didn't notice anything wrong with her :cry1:

She's in shock. She can't hold her head. She's extremely thin and i don't understand how it happened so quickly :cry1:She was fine, she was snuggling with Bam-Ba. I just found her at the bottom of the cage. Now I know why Houdina was calling me :cry1:

Oh no, Im so sorry. You cant get her to a vet, can you?

For now, hold her close, keep her warm. If you can warm up a rice sock or towel do that. Do you have any pedialyte you could syring her?

Do you know if she ate/pooped today?

Just do what you can to keep her warm and comfortable. Try not to stress- they pick up on that and it stresses them.

Sending lots of prayers. Let usknow if theres anything we can do to help. Dont worry about typing here- hold your girl.

I'm having an ongoing computer issue here, I'm giving up and signing off...

Any updates before I do?

I know she's in good hands. She's been in dire straights before. :hug2:

So sorry you're going through this! :tears2:

sas :pray:

I tried to suggest a few things in MSN, but she believes Wiggles to be too far gone, and has gone to lay down with her until she passes. I don't think she's seen my latest suggestion to contact the shelter she works with to see if someone can bring over some subq's for Wiggles. :(

I will update with whatever information I receive...I hope she makes it through the night...:(

Thank you Rosie for updating, and thank you and everyone else for your help and encouragement. (I'm lucky my computer is behaving so far)

Though it may sound like I gave up I did administer basics and she seems to be fighting. That girl is my inspiration and has been my best friend for years.

I heated a water bottle and wrapped her against in and added layers of blankets, including me, to keep her warm. I have been against her for the past hour or so. Houdina just snuggled against her as I was typing this. (Houdina had been crying all day but I couldn't figure what was wrong) Funny lil thing hasn't left our side. She's right there beside Wiggles ever since I picked her up.

She was not drinking at all and simply letting it dribble but now she has started taking it. So I have some warmhomemade pedialyte going into her. She also nibbled on some lettuce and parsley which I sprayed with pedialyte. She's moving her head a bit more which she wasn't doing before. Before her headlooked just too heavy for her and she'd let it drop. Houdina is licking her right now :)

I just need to get her through these few hours and then I can rush her to the vet's to administer sub-Q. (Stupid vet say they do emergencies but past a certain hour they refer you to the one in Lachine which is waaaaaaaaaay too far for me to get to)

You wouldn't believe how terribly skinny she is. I cannot believe that she got so skinny in a day :(I don't understand, I really don't. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can cause this???

She just started grinding her teeth loudly :cry1:

Could it be related to the problem she had about three months ago, sounds like the symptoms are similar...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27736&forum_id=16

I did a search of "sudden weight loss" with the RO search button, and that thread came up. Looking at the three other threads it pulled up...and I will let you know what else I find. Just thought it was odd that it sounded like the same kind of thing happening again, and thought that maybe the advice given there might help this time, too...

:hug:

Do her symptoms match the symptoms in this article?

3. How can mycotoxin poisoning be diagnosed? The poisoning may manifest as on-and-off, chronic or acute episodes, depending on the amount of toxic feed ingested and how consistently it was fed. The damage to internal organs is cumulative over a period of time. A high incidence of gastrointestinal upsets (impactions, etc.) and of disease associated with depressed immune function (Pasteurella, etc.) may be clues that a mycotoxin problem exists. Some clinical signs which may appear in a rabbit:
  • Severe pain in the abdomen -- sudden onset, haunches flaring out, belly pressed against or writhing on the floor, bunny might be lethargic and hide in a corner.
  • A radiograph (x-ray) series may reveal gut shutdown but no physical blockage (barium barely drips through), sometimes severe bloating. Often diagnosed as GI stasis or stenosis without identifying the underlying cause.
  • Standard GI stasis treatments no longer work, GI motility drugs (Cisaspride/Metachlopromide) lose their effectiveness either because the tissue along the GI tract is necrotic/damaged or because of the overwhelming deoxynivalenol(DON)-induced inhibition of gastric emptying via serotonin receptor sites.
  • Hypothermia (low body temperature).
  • Blood abnormalities: high BUN and creatinine levels, calcium-phosphorus imbalance (which may lead to chalky urine, organ calcification), abnormal levels of liver enzymes associated with kidney/liver failure; low hematocrit/RBC due to internal bleeding.
  • Ulcers in the mouth (strange chewing and tongue motion, difficulty swallowing, teeth problems ruled out), stomach and esophagus.
  • Refusal to eat, weight loss.
  • Presence of mucous in the feces.
  • Rough hair coats.
  • Sometimes paralysis or twitching in hind limbs.
  • Multiple bunnies fall ill simultaneously in the same household.
  • Food tests positive for mycotoxins.
  • An endoscopic examination may reveal ulceration along the GI tract but this procedure is difficult to do on small animals.
  • Necropsies may show: GI bruising (often subtle), hemorrhages, stomach/GI ulcerations, mouth ulcers, kidney/liver damage (lesions, lipidosis, fibrosis, swelling, discoloration), rectal prolapse.
Also, check out the Myxomatosis thread in the Rabbit Health section in the Lagomorph Library. There are a few other articles in there to read on this.

Some other ideas, and these are just thoughts that have popped up...

- How has her appetite been over the last week or few days? Has she been eating, pooping, peeing, drinking? Has ANY of that changed? (Loss of Appetite, GI Stasis, GI Stasis: What Everyone Should Know)

- The feed you give them...has it smelled or seemed different in ANY way? (Mycotoxin Poisoning, Myxomatosis)

- Check out her hind feet...does she possibly have sore hocks, and has been unable to get to her food or water lately? (Sore Hocks)

- Do you feel any lumps/bumps under her skin anywhere? Any sores? (cancer, Bot Flies, Fly strike, Abscesses, etc)

- Have there been ANY other problems with your other bunnies? Ear Mites, Fur Mites, Fleas, ANYTHING? (might influence/cause a change with appetite)

- Is she VERY bonded with you, as in maybe your attention with Flore has stressed her to this extent?

- How have your other bunnies been with their food? (again, Mycotoxin Poisoning, Myxomatosis)

- Are you certain she's been drinking? If so, what are the indicators? Bottle or bowl? (in case of dehydration from not being able to get liquids somehow)

- Are you hearing gurgling in her tummy, or anything like that? (Bloat/Gas)

- Any problems with walking, dizziness, falling over, eyes scanning/ticking, hind leg usage? (E. cuniculi (Encephalitozoon))

- Any other unusual behaviour, like any sort of nose dampness, or anything like that? (Infections)

- Any chance she ate a plant from this list? Poisonous Plants

- I noticed on the thread you posted three months ago, she was having Urinary Problems. Were you able to get that checked out, and if so, what was it, and how's she been doing with that?

Let me know about all that. I've found a few different things that could've caused this...it sounds mostly like she's severly dehydrated, which could be from many different causes. It could be stress, a digestive issue, a kidney issue, quite a few things...I'm just trying to narrow it down.

You're doing the most important things: keeping her hydrated (or right now bringing her out of dehydration), and keeping her warm. Just keep workin' and encouraging her, Sweetie...know you are doing the right thing...

Also, I know I suggested to try calling the shelter you work with...but what about other shelters? Maybe they have emergency vet's numbers that you could try. Doesn't hurt to try calling a thousand and one people, right? :)

I'm here for you. I have to admit, I do have to go to bed soon...but I'm doing all I can to help you and Wiggles through this, Hun.

The Medicating/'Force' Feeding a Bunny thread might also help. :)

Please let me know about those things...

Hi everyone

Thank you all for the help. It was a severe bout of stasis and I found her just in time I guess. Judging from the size and the load of poops, it had been a while. Her belly was grumbling so I started belly rubs and she sure loved that. She's back to running and jumping. I think I will die of a heart attack before she ever dies on me. Lol.

I really worry about it happening so often and the way her weight fluctuates like that. I think it's time for a diet change. If Mario ever does come back I will be switching them all onto Oxbow. However, for now I found the good version of the food I had...

http://www.versele-laga.com/NUTRI/Nutrition/Pages/Products/index.jsp?ran=12347&pro=12348&fam=224&ani=5332&rac=0

Anyway, is there something in particular, like a particular veggie or something that can help with her GI problems? I will consult her vet for sure but I thought you guys would know more anyway. Lol.

Gosh, I'm so sorry for not realizing it was stasis but she was so ill that at that point it wasn't so obvious. Her stomach only started gurgling after I started rubbing her to stimulate her and get her warm again. :?

I'm glad she is doing better :)

Don't be sorry, when stasis hits it can really knock them sideways.

Rosie's article mentions how mycotoxin poisoning can present like stasis, is it worth getting her checked out to see if there is an underlying cause?

There are certain foods that can be more likely to cause gas, like brocoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc, but each bun is different as well. I hope someone more useful comes along withknowledge in a bit.

Latest posts

Back