Somebody Please Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysmom

Reaction score
This morning Bambi (6 months old) seemed to be asleep in her new box. I took my son to school, came back and she was still in the same position. I went to get her and noticed she was wide awake on her side. Breathing fine, and nose twitching. When I started talking to her she tried to move and just rolled over really hard. Her front feet barely move and her back feet kick, but they seem weaker than normal. She absolutely cannot stand, she can just roll from side to side with a lot of effort and push around in circles by kicking her back feet.

I looked on the thread here with a list of problems and I found"Flopsy". It said that vitamin E can cure it. So, I went to the pharmacy and got some, tried to give it to her with some yogurt in a syringe, but she won't even acknowledge it. I also tried to give her water in a syringe and she ignores that also.

We just got her Saturday. We are very new to rabbits, but she seemed a little under weight to us. You can feel her spine. So, I figured a good, steady healthy diet would help that. I feed them exactly what is reccomended.

She was shy Saturday, yesterday she was very friendly and curious. We had a nice relaxed play time last night. At no time was she out of our sight. Then she was placed back in her cage for the night.

Please tell me what this may be and how I can help her. It has me so panicked and nervous. I can't stand to see any of my animals be so scared and possibly in pain. We can't get into the vet until later.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but the best thing is to get her to a vet ASAP.

In the mean time, I would try to get some pedialyte in her to keep her hydrated and just keep her calm and relaxed.

Hopefully some one will have some more helpful advice.

--Dawn

Thanks. I really can't stand to see her like this. I have been a complete wreck all morning. I am trying to keep everything nice and calm so that she won't stress any more than she already is. This is so terrible.

It could be "flopsy" but I really haven't heard of that much in the US, I usually hear of it in the UK for some reason. She does need to get to a vet as soon as possible. Until then, like Dawn said syringe fluids like Pedialyte into her. Also, if she's not eating grind up some of her pellets and mix them with water, then syringe feed a little of that to her. It doesn't have to be much, even a few cc's will help keep her intestines moving.

Here's some really good instructions on syringe feeding, from Honeypot:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11658&forum_id=16

Get a towel, lay it on a table and put the bunn on the towel with his butt facing you, so you are standing behind him. Fold half the towel up so that it is covering the bun up to his neck.

And this is the part that I had to learn - you HAVE to be the boss and win the first fight to keep the bun still.

Lean over the bun so that if he tries to back up, he hits your stomach and has no where to go. Press the towel down so he is secure and hold his head with one hand. Keep a hold of his head so he has to stay still.

Take the syringe and gently put it on his front teeth and move it to the side (right or left beside their big front teeth) and find the little space between the top and bottom teeth - the syringe tip will slide right in.

Syringe a little bit at a time - remember their mouths are super small.

The most important part is that you HAVE to win and be the boss.Remember that it's not about being bigger/heavier or overpowering them with strength, you don't want to hurt them, you just have to be persistent and firm. Don't let him go when he tries to get away.

I would like to thank both of you who tried to help.

Sadly, Bambi never made it to the vet. She passed away. She appeared to just fall asleep. I hope it really was that peaceful for her.

Now I am so nervous that whatever she may have had has been passed onto Bunny. I really hope not. I am rather attached to Bunny. And while Bambi's passing was difficult for me,Bunny passing away would be devastating.

I just got Bambi Saturday, but I was really looking forward to spoiling her for years to come.

I suppose I need to call the people I got her from and let them know what has happened so that they can watch their other rabbits.

I'm so very sorry! Have you considered a necropsy? It may help ease your nerves to find out what it was.

Oh :(.

I am so sorry about your little girl. I didn't expect to read this news! My thoughts are with you and your family.

Nadia

Thank you all for the concern and wishes.

We had to hurry and bury her before my son got home from school, he is only six. We told him that she went home.

I will be taking Bunny to the vet asap to make sure she is o.k., and to see if they can find anything now...or if there is possibly a waiting period for diseases and illnesses.

I know I am driving her crazy in the mean time! I keep going up to her and making sure she can move o.k.

This was just beyond anything I have ever heard. Bambi was absolutely fine at 3 a.m and then by 7 a.m. she was in a terrible state. I just don't get it.

Since rabbits have traditionally been prey animals. they hide their illnesses until the 'last minute', so to speak. It's possible she came to you ill. Did you feed her the same diet as she had at her prior place? An abrupt change in diet can also be hard on rabbits.

If you have any of her droppings left, you may want to take those to the vet for a stool check on parasites.

I am sorry your baby passed away. Hope Bunny checks out fine.

First of all - I don't think you did anything wrong at all. The fact she was already thin and you could feel the spine makes me wonder if perhaps there was already a blockage building up or something. I've never heard of flopsy in the US so I'm going to have to go look that up.

I'm so sorry about your loss. I know that although you had your rabbit a short time- you still cared about him/her. Give yourself some time to grieve and don't feel bad about it.

Peg

P.S. Most reputable breeders I know give a one week guarantee on their rabbit where they will refund the money or replace it with a rabbit of the same quality or something like that. I know I do this. If you got the rabbit from a breeder - you may want to let them know the rabbit passed away and see if they offer a refund or replacement. I know it isn't the same as the rabbit you lost - but with the short time you had your rabbit - I honestly think it isn't your fault. If I had a rabbit here and could feel their spine - I can guarantee you that it would NOT leave here until it was in healthy condition.

seniorcats- thanks for that advice. I do have some droppings, I haven't cleaned out her cage yet, just moved it out of the room immediately. I will call the vet in the morning and see if they can test it.

tinysmom- Thank you for reassuring me. Bambi was definatley underweight, but I never thought it would lead to any thing like this. She had no other signs of bad health other than being a little on the thin side. I got her from a woman I met at the local feed store. I had gone in there last week to see if they could tell me about any breeders. They didn't know of any, but said they would keep their eyes open for anyone wanting to get rid of a rabbit. I got Bambi 2 days later. I am thinking about calling back up there so they can let the woman know what happened, that way she can check her other rabbits. I am not sure how many more she has. For the mean time I think I will wait until we get Bunny altered before we try to find her a best friend. Thanks for the information.

naturestee- Binky free indeed. I almost cried when I read that on yours & polly's post. Thanks.

Bunny seems to be doing great. Perfectly normal. Iam hoping since I am more familiar with all her habits I will be ableto spot danger quickly.

I'm so sorry to hear this - read your thread this morning and was really hoping it would have a happier ending.

Binky free little bunny. :(

I'm so sorry :(

...binky free little Bambi.
:pray::rainbow::jumpingbunny:

~Jim

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about bambi. My big bit passed away onthe 16th of april he had cold I took him to the vet got some medications by the time I brought him home he was gone. I know how you feel It hurts. My prayers are with you and your little boy. I know it is hard I am a breeder and I cant even explain why this things happen.Please if you decide to get another bunny please please disinfect the cage with bleach and rinse it very well. So that whatever happened dont happen again.Try finding a local breeder if you do decide to get another friend.

:angelandbunny:

bunnylady

Latest posts

Back