Some questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobnAud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We just picked up our buns this weekend. 2 Holland Lops - one doe (Chloe) and one buck (Jasper) both 6 weeks of age. Not spayed or neutered yet due to age but we plan to do the buck as soon as we can and the doe by 6 months of age. We've placed litter trays in 2 of 4 corners, food (pellets and hay) in a third corner, and left the 4th corner free. We have them in a 2depthx4longx3high NIC cage. The free corner is right by the L front of the cage in front of the door. Right now they are quite timid, but curious. They don't like to be picked up and come in for a sniff and then hop away or turn their back.

Question #1: Is it normal bunny behaviour for them to be peeing in their hay and pellets? I thought putting their food in one corner would prevent them from using that corner as a toilet. I guessed, wrong, I suppose. But, I also put a basket of hay in their other litter trays and they jumped in the hay basket and peed in both of those too. Anything to be concerned about and try to change? Or normal behaviour for bunnies claiming their new home?

Question #2: What should we do in terms of handling these little guys? Should we let them be... approach us, sniff us, run away.. until they let us pet their heads or backs? Or should we try to handle them as much as possible to get them used to us? I'm more inclined to go towards the first option. Seems more caring. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Question #3: When is a good time to spay the doe? With the buck we're going to wait until his testicles descend and are visible... is that right? With the doe, I think I recall reading that 6 months of age is a good yardstick. Again, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance. This seems overwhelming right now because when you first get your buns you have in your head an impression of how it's going to go and how they're going to be... and when you actually get them, it's different.

Hello there. First, just wanted to ask, are they being housed together? It is ok if they are very young but once either or both bunnies enter 4 months of age, it starts to get iffy as to whether the bun has entered puberty... The doe could be pregnant before you can believe it. Definitely plan to separate before they reach sexual maturity. You can tell with a buck's descended testicles but females - can't see a thing, it's risky!

Buns go to the potty and eat hay from the same spot. Some will select the untainted pieces of hay and only eat that, and they will be picky about it. Some don't care and will scarf down whatever happens to be there. It's perfectly normal. I would put the pellets in a separate dish so that they don't pee in it and cause the pellets to expand and go bad. But hay is ok, they usually work it out themselves. In fact if you're looking to litter train the best way is to put their hay where you want them to go do their business. They typically learn quickly this way as young bunnies.

Bonding with your bunny is a tricky business. There's a nice read pinned at the top of the nutrition forum that will give you some great ideas on how to develop a relationship with your bunnies so they trust you to handle them. Remember, rabbits are prey animals. Their instincts tell them to flee in danger and if they are lifted off the ground they think they're becoming food for a predator. It's best to be patient with your bunnies and let them come to you on their own accord. :) Curious little buggers can't resist you if you sit long enough and don't pay them any mind!

Spay surgeries are usually done around 6 months, but it is best to consult your rabbit savvy vet directly for a timeline. Spay surgeries are more invasive and success in any rabbit procedure greatly depends on your vet's experience and comfort with the animal. So if he/she is fine with doing it at 6 months, and the bunny is healthy and normal, it's a good window. Some boys are neutered as early as about 4 months, some vets are comfortable with 5 or 6 months.

Helen gave some great info.

I have to say, I would separate those two rabbits now. I think rabbits are capable of breeding at as little as 8 weeks of age (it's rare, but definately can happen), so I really would separate them as soon as possible; you don't want an 'unwanted' litter, just bringing more rabbits into the world when shelters are overflowing as it is. :)

As for question 2, definately check out this thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33921&forum_id=48

It covers a number of different techniques. Offering a tasty treat in your hand, so they learn to trust you etc., lying down with them and letting them 'explore' over you. A shy rabbit is WAY more likely to approach you themselves if you lie down- for some reason all that fear seems to go. Even the shyest of rabbits will probably approach you for a sniff and perhaps a foot nudge or something if you lie down and kind of 'ignore' them.
Also, if you have to approach your rabbit, then do so at a low level. My Pippin is a shy rabbit. If I approach him standing up, just walking over to him, he'll flee and hide in a corner and all I'll see is his little fluffy bottom sticking out. If i crawl (almost army crawl, however daft that sounds and looks (!!!) ) over to him, he will actually approach me at the same time, and 'meet' me halfway. It's incredible to see the change in him just by changing my level. Also, when you want to pet him/her, feed a treat etc. etc., don't stand and lean down, because it will probs scare your bun if she/he is shy. Squat down a few feet a way, and shuffle towards the bun with your hand gently outstretched with palms towards you, so your bun can sniff you hand etc. and realise it's not going to get snatched up etc.

I would say definately try and get your bun used to human contact (petting, grooming, stroking, hand-feeding etc.) and handling from a young age. This will just make future so much easier. You don't want to overwhelm your bun and chase it round to pick it up 20 times a day lol, because this is just counterproductive, and some rabbits just dont' like to be picked up at all! So you have to accept that. But getting them used to it when they are young gives better chance that in the future they will 'accept' being carried, and having their nails clipped etc. BUt you have to establish trust before you do this, which is very important.

Grooming sessions are a wonderful way to bond with you rabbit. Lie down almost nose to nose with your rabbit, and gently scratch him nose, behind his eyes, and stroke his cheeks etc. If he likes it, he will do a gentle tooth grinding that sounds and feels like a purr. Then offer your hand for him to groom back, and once you've established that relationship, he will! Then soon you won't need to 'ask' for a groom. You'll just be on the computer etc. with bare feet, and your bun will come over and start licking your toes. Or he/she will jump up to the sofa where you are watching tv and give you bunny kisses over your face. Then he will probably 'demand' a groom in return by shoving his head under your hand, or 'digging' on you!! :D

Jen

Back