Some Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
Hi everybody! One of my Lionheads had three babies just one month ago. They're doing great! Anyway I was wondering how long it will be until I can breed mommy again. Also how long will it take before a Lionheadbunny matures?

As long as the doe is in good health, breeding is generally done when the litter is weaned at about 8 weeks of age.

Pam

You can breed her as soon as the litter is weaned but personally I would give her at least a months break before breeding her again, it's hard on their bodies, raising a litter and constant breeding wears them out fast.

I would only breed at max 3 times a year to keep your female in good health and quality. If you breed them too much the female will have little chance for her mane to grow back and she might be left with none, Witch could also mean the kits don't grow to have manes.

Whether a baby bunny grows a mane or not is surely due to genetics and not to the mom having pulled fur, but I personally wouldn't breed more than three times a year either and give the doe a bit of a break in between but I guess it all depends on the general health of the rabbit. I certainly wouldn't breed before kits are weened off

paul2641 wrote:
Witch could also mean the kits don't grow to have manes.
I wouldn't say so, that would be like saying if someone was missing a finger their child might be born without one too.

I wouldn't breed her so soon afterwards, but I guess it's up to you :p

I only breed my does once or twice at year.
I also give them at least 2 to 3 months between litters, because having a litter puts lots of stress on them, and I'm sure she wouldn't want to have babies for 8 weeks, then be pregnant again and have to go through it again. I'm sure she'd be looking forward to having babies again if she got a break, lol. I know I would.

Emily

Latest posts

Back