Some questions on babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Tracey~

Reaction score
1. What age do i take mum from babies

2. I read that i take the mum away and put her in a seperate cage and leave babies in her cage for a week so they can smell her but not see her then after a week put babies in other cage and mum back in her cage, is this true?

3. My babies will be 3wks old Sunday, is there anything i should be feeding them or will they just copy mum

4. When can i be able to tell the sex of the babies and when should they be split

5. What age can they go to new homes?

Thanks

This would be better in the rabbitry but until a mod moves it i will help you.

1. I leave them together till at least 8 weeks then i take any bucks away my last baby buck was trying to get his groove on with mum by then!! you can leave the girls in for longer.

2. I take the babies away and leave mum in her cage. but other breeders may say different

3. They will copy mum they should around 3 weeks start eating hay and some wee bits of food or mine seem to. I also give them Burgess super forage and they love that!! Remember no veggies though unless mum has had them consistently throughout

4. You can tell from around 3 weeks mine are 4 weeks now and we think we have got the sexes right but keep checking to be sure and again i keep mine together till 7-8 weeks but no longer as they can breed from 4 months and Yoshi proved to me that some are ready to give it a try from 8 weeks !!

5. This is up to you and what you are happy with no sooner than 8 weeks though. again all breeders are different i usually let mine go 8-12 weeks depending on who they are going to and how well they know bunnies.

Hope this helps you out Polly

Moved for you!!

Here's my answers:

1. 8 weeks

2. This approach can be less stressful on the babies, but you can also take them into a new cage. As long as they are all together, they will comfort each other.

3. They will copy mom. Make sure there is lots of fresh hay in the cage.

4. You should be able to start sexing at about 4 weeks, then I always keep checking until I'm 100% sure which is normally 6-8 weeks.

5. I would give them a few days with out mom, then you can let them go to new homes.

Hope that helps!

--Dawn

We breed rabbits and I agree we take our babies out at 8 weeks, unless we have one that is a bit smaller than the others then we give it a week or so longer.....when we get ready to take them from mom we put them in another cage off and on for a couples of hours and then put them back with mom and then make it longer each time....that way they still have some more time with her but start learning on their own. You had great advice Polly!!

Brenda

We have a couple interested, i don't think we will have trouble in finding homes if we do i will have to keep them :bunnydance:

hi, im expecting babies from mu lu?
is there anything else i should know other than wots above?
thanx
babyb

Latest posts

Back