Some people and their bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
A few weeks back, I got a message from my dadsaying that there was a rabbit hopping around in their garden and thattheir dog, Jim, had nearly eaten it. It turned out to be theneighbour's newly bought baby bunny. My parents live on what we callover here a compound - basically, it's four houses walled in, with apool and garden area for each one. Obviously my parents' garden isfenced off to keep the dog in, but there's a few cats that live there,too.

Anyway, I went over for lunch yesterday, and lo and behold, there was abunny being chased around the garden by the neighbour's housemaid andyoungest kid (probably about age 6 or so). My mum said they'd beenchasing it around for about an hour. I grabbed a few lettuce leaves andwent out to help them - I caught the poor little thing in about 10minutes. It was starved.

They don't even have it in a cage; it's living in a tiny room which isjust off of the garage, with no door - the entrance is being blocked inby a cardboard box and a baby car seat, which is how it keeps escaping.There's no bedding, so the poor baby has to lie on the concrete floor(and it's pretty cold here - my girls are all inside and they'refeeling the cold!), and they apparently don't buy food for it, thehousemaid has to go and pick grass for it every day (bear in mind thatthis is a desert island, there isn't much grass).

While I was over there the father came back so I got to talk to himabout how he should be keeping the bunny, what he should be fed andthat he should be kept indoors. He seemed to listen and seemed quiteinterested in getting the care for the bunny right; I told him how easyit was to litter train them and that they make great indoor pets.

I'm really hoping he listens, because if that bun isn't caught by myparent's dog, then it's either going to get loose onto the road and beeaten by something else or hit by a car. I told him that if he ever hasany questions to give me a call.

It's such a sweet little baby bun, too... when I caught it it didn'tstruggle and just sat there so quietly in my arms. It looks a bit likeBaby, white with black spots on it's bum and a few on it's face, withone ear lopped over and the other sticking up. If it gets loose again,I think I might just go in one night and take it. I know it's stealing,but at least it won't get killed >.<

I have got to admit that in a situation like that I would be tempted to take it too.

We got started in rabbits because we rescued a rabbit and then when wefoudn the owner a week later - it broke my heart to give it up. It keptgetting loose from them later on - but by then we had Tiny and I wasn'tup to taking another rabbit.

I've always kicked myself though for not taking that rabbit. Theybarely played with it and didn't care for it once it grew....whereby weadored it.

Peg

I got one of my rabbits that way. One of my pairof bunnies had died, so Bobtail was left on her own. My mum woke me upone morning screaming that she was loose in the garden, so I rushed outto look - but no, Bobs was in the cage, there was another albinorunning around the garden! I caught him (first time I heard a rabbitscream, it was horrid), then later found out that he belonged tosomeone else on the compound and that he'd kept escaping. I just nevertold them that I'd found him (they didn't give a toss about himanyway), and he and Bobtail lived together for quite a while before hepassed away, too.

Back