Some more questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramel

Reaction score
sorry girls but i have some more questions.

What parts of the following veggies can i give to Caramel?

pumpkin, strawberry, watermelon, celery, banana, dandelion, cabbage,cauliflower, and corn can i give her the leaves as well or just thecorn?

Have the fruit and veg all need to be fresh, or can i give her ones that have been frozen but then thawed or is that not safe?

and also will it be safe to give Caramel grapes?

sorry bout all these questions, ive read up on rabbits loads but have never been given a deff answer bout foods.

Oh one more question, can i give her potatoes and if so what parts, can she have the skin once ive peeled them?

sorry bout all the questions lol :D:D:D:D

Here is a list of veggies from the House RabbitSociety website.You should also check the "feeding yourrabbit q & a" section on this site for more.

You shouldn't give too many fruits as they are sugary and can make yourbun chubby, but there is a list on the website (HRS) for that as well.:)

Select at least three kinds of vegetables daily. A variety is necessaryin order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day thatcontains Vitamin A, indicated by an *. Add one vegetable to the diet ata time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea.

Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
Basil
Beet greens (tops)*
Bok choy
Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)*
Brussels sprouts
Carrot & carrot tops*
Celery
Cilantro
Clover
Collard greens*
Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
Endive*
Escarole
Green peppers
Kale (!)*
Mint
Mustard greens*
Parsley*
Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
Peppermint leaves
Raddichio
Radish tops
Raspberry leaves
Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf)*
Spinach (!)*
Watercress*
Wheat grass

(!)=Use sparingly. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time

yeh i checked out the list of foods on here butwas just wondering about the few i pointed out as it didnt say whatpart of the veg or fruit i should give her and i dont want to harm herin any way, thanks for your help hun

I wouldn't really feed her corn,bunnies cannot digest the little hulls,it's not really considered a safe food

and also i would just watch with the cabbage and cauliflower,they cancause bad gas in some buns,some bunnies can handle them,but my bunscan't,it gives them gas,i never buy those two veggies for mybunnies,broccoli is another veggie that i cannot give my bunnies,thatalso gives them gas,but other bunnies are fine with it

Yes grapes are fine,mine love em!

Ohh and do not feed potatoes..at all!

Fresh fruit and veggies are always best

But just remember,always give your bunnies fruit as an occassional treat though

They can eat the whole strawberry including the top,pumpkin,i'm notsure about the skin,banana,i'm sure they can have the skin as well..notsure,watermelon,i'm not sure about the skin,but i caught Sunshinenibbling onsome watermelon skin once and she wasfine,Dandelion leaves are perfect,celery,they can eat including theleaves,i always chop my celery into little pieces,just so it's lessstringy

Oh and always give the veggies a good wash before you give them to Caramel

cheryl

pumpkin- i have only feed canned pumpkin, but i don't think that any form of the flesh would hurt them

strawberry- the whole thing

watermelon- water content is a little high, i would only feed as atreat, and the flesh and skin would be okay, i have no idea about theseeds.

celery- again, high water content. . . i would suggest feeding the leafy top parts.

*i personally don't feed my rabbits celery or watermelon, i figure thatthere is enough other veggies out there, that i can avoid anything thatmight give problems*

banana- they can eat it all, but mine would rather eat the skin to the fruit. . .it has a lot of sugar so only as a treat

dandelion- all of it, my rabbits LOVE dandelions, you can buy a HUGE bunch at most stores for under $2.

cabbage- can cause gas, i never feed it

cauliflower- again, can cause gas, i never feed it

corn- i don't feed corn, just never have, so i have no idea!

my buns eat grapes every once in a while. i would only feed fresh, iwould think that by freezing you will lose some of the nutrition. . .

katie

I don't feed watermelon either and I only feed the leafy part of celery.

Remember all bunnies aren't going to like the same thing - Bo just hadto "kill" a strawberry yesterday. It was evil and he thumpedit into his mat. And eventhough he isn't fond of freshpineapple - it disappeared when I wasn't looking! then Bo had pineapplelips later - he said he wasn't sure how that happened! :ponder:

:DKilling a strawberry! :laugh:

Whenever I introduce a new veggie, TinkleBunny avoids it like it ispoison. Then she eats it when there isn't any other food left.

It reminds me of the story of my BF when he was little. He was (hestill is) really picky about food. When his sister was born he had tostay with his grandma while his mom was in the hospital. He told hismom that his grandma had tried to make him eat "poison eggs" They werefried eggs, but he had only had ever scrabled. Anything he didn't likewas poison. My bunny is the same way about new food.

~Star~

yes, it had to be killed! it was evil! (he'salways hated them but I offer him one now and then) guess he wasletting me know he was never going to eat one. Clover is thesame about carrots. She'll sit and look at one as if it'ssomething from outerspace! She did that with a blueberry thesame night as the strawberry murder, and then it suddenly was thecleanest, shiniest blueberry I've ever seen! (she'd licked it) and thenit disappeared like Bo's pineapple. I think Clover had bluelips.

I give them time but at this point, strawberries are not a goodchoice for Bo. He would prefer banana or some cilantro!

Starina wrote:
:DKilling a strawberry! :laugh:

Whenever I introduce a new veggie, TinkleBunny avoids it like it ispoison. Then she eats it when there isn't any other food left.

~Star~

Also, Ive heard that its best to avoid celery(leaves are fine) stalk bc those stringy pieces can get caughtinbetween the teeth and cause all kinds of problems..

I offered Nibbles 2/3ds of a small grape tomato the other night. She ran away from it.

but then I put it in her dish and walked away. Less than 10 minutes later, it had disappeared.

Hi there you are from the same area as me -Croeso. How old is Caramel? I was advised by a verybunny savy vet to under no curcumstances feed a bunny anythingcontaining seeds - they should be removed first and alsothata bunny has a very sweet tooth so beware of fruit as ithas little roughage and is not all that good for them except as a raretreat. My two get the occasional treat including brocollistalk (the bit most humans reject) and cabbage stalks; they lovethese. Apparently even carrots should be limited because oftheir high sugar content. As I say this was all advice givento me by a good vet - hope it helps.:bunny19

Haley wrote:
Also, Ive heard that its best to avoid celery (leaves arefine) stalk bc those stringy pieces can get caught inbetween the teethand cause all kinds of problems..
Yes that is what i heard as well,i never used to feed celery until iread somewhere on here about other members feeding their bunnies celerybut they cut it into smaller pieces,my bunnies don't get it often anyway

cheryl

Croeso hun, its good to see someone fromCardiff on here, where to in Cardiff do you live? I live inEly but dont listen to the rumours. Caramel is 4 months old,ive tried her with lettuce and carrot but not at the same time to tryand see how she reacts to it, but i dont know how long it takes to gothrough their system and i checked her poop and its a bit sloppy sorryto be gross

melanie wrote:
Hi there you are from thesame area as me - Croeso. How old is Caramel? I wasadvised by a very bunny savy vet to under no curcumstances feed a bunnyanything containing seeds - they should be removed first and alsothata bunny has a very sweet tooth so beware of fruit as ithas little roughage and is not all that good for them except as a raretreat. My two get the occasional treat including brocollistalk (the bit most humans reject) and cabbage stalks; they lovethese. Apparently even carrots should be limited because oftheir high sugar content. As I say this was all advice givento me by a good vet - hope it helps.:bunny19

I used to buy a bale from the local farm butthen I began to find foreign objects like twine and string in the baleso now I buy it at the local garden centre it's called Timothy Hay orMeadow Hay but only good quality stuff that's not all dry and dusty asthat makes Herbie sneeze!

I feed my buns celery occasionally,butI cut it into small pieces - about 1/2 inch.Kinda the size you would cut it up if you were going to cook withit. They don't have any problems with it.

Latest posts

Back