Some mice help? Lil miss has an attitude problem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecurityStacey

Reaction score
I'm having a little mouse attitude issue... here we go.

I got 2 pet mice about 6 months ago from my brother - he had bought them for his daughter (from petco of all places) and his wife freaked out so he was going to release them outside in the woods. *sigh* I told him I'd take them. I thought mice were pretty cute, but I would have rather gotten pets from a breeder with pet animals instead of these poor little skittish things from petco. Anyways, they were pretty skittish but one (Maui) would let me pick her up and pet her in the cage. Her sister (Mai Tai) was... very opposite. She would run and hide if I came near her and when picked up she would bite. I worked with them for about a month and they were settling in nicely. I came home one day and went to go see them... and Mai Tai was gone. I still don't know how she got out of her cage since it was locked up tight and Maui was still sitting in there looking at me.

I bought a ton of those humane traps (that catch live) and put them everywhere and I would occasionally see her, but I couldn't catch the little thing! After a month I felt terrible about it, but didn't think she would ever come home and I felt terrible that Maui was all by herself, so I went (slaps forehead) to petco to get her a buddy. I brought the new mouse (Mango) to the vet and got her checked out and after QT for 2 weeks with no signs of illness I introduced Mango and Maui and they hit it off great and started to really get along. Well... fastforward two more weeks (and 2 months since the escape) and I catch Mai Tai, still alive, still quite healthy looking. So Mai Tai goes to the vets, and then Mai Tai goes to QT for a month because who knows what she got into while she was loose for 2 months and when she appears healthy... she gets reintroduced and HEY! all three get along great.

However, Mai Tai nowreallybites. Constantly. Mango and Maui are friendly, but whenever I reach into the tank Mai Tai will run out from wherever she is and bite me. She doesn't break the skin - mostly because I shriek and she runs back into her house, but I can't even reach into the tank anymore. I tried to ignore it - since it was my fault she had gotten out and I felt bad about it - as long as the three of them were great buddies I wasn't gonna let her being mean hurt them, ya know? They were happy together and I didn't want to split them up. For two months they got along great and then all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago... Mai Tai is fighting like crazy with the other mice. I constantly hear them squeaking and Mai Tai chasing them and biting - to the point where even my very skittish Mango will run into my hand to be picked up to get away from Mai Tai. So now she is biting me constantly and constantly fighting with her buddies - now what do I do? I don't want her in a tank by herself because I know they need to be social - but Maui and Mango are constantly being attacked by her. There are down times but the majority of the time there are skirmishes. I'm at my wit's end with this little girl, what should I do?

Latest posts

Back