Some health questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermelon

Reaction score
Hi,

i recently noticed a bald patch on one of my bunnies...It's the firsttime I've noticed this and i rushed him to the vet..We waited 2 wholehours before we got to see the doc and i asked if it was mites. Cos inoticed 2 flakes on his fur...Well, what the vet did was get somescotch tape and get some fur caught on the tape. Than the vetdisappeared to the back to look at it under the microscope...She cameback and told me that my bunny has a fungal infection:shock:...I waslike...Huh?What's that?I live in an area with high humidity,could this be a reason for a fungal reaction?

He was given some sort of medication that came in a form of a tablet(1/3 a tablet twice a day.) I also gave him olive leaves as it issupposed to be anti-fungal...he improved a little and i stopped hismedication giving more olive leaves....However, the problem has comeback...

i purchased a bottle of ivomec 0.27%...so i think i'll try givingit...is it all right to give it as an oral? Cos i don't dareinject....:p

How much am i supposed to give him? I also have other bunnies so i willbe giving all of them some as a preventive measure...how much should igive? And how often? Can 10 weekers eat it too? How am i supposed toadminister it? Just drip it on the food?

I keep my bunnies in an air conditioned room..how do i decrease ammonia levels??

Also, what is vanilla for? Flies only? How much am i suppose to give?

Thanks!

Sorry for asking so many questions....

:D

I don't think Ivomec is going to help with afungus. It's generally used for parasites. Keep upon the medication the vet gave you. But if I can make asuggestion, if you want to put something on the bald spot, use whiteiodine. It has very strong anti fungal properties.I use it on my Mini Rex feet when they lose fur to prevent fungus, andon my Flemish if they get bald spots. It doesn't smell verynice, but it works, and I find the fur comes back prettyquick!

I just noticed a small bump over Toby'seye. It's not red, but the hair has fallen out. Itlooks like a mole. He doesn't scratch it or seem botheredwhen I touch it. What should I do? I'm probablygoing to take him to the vet tomorrow.

Laura

Anything near the eye, I would get aprofessional's opinion. It might only be something minor, butyou don't want to use any medication that might damage the eye or hissight... Please let us know how he is and what the vet says.

wintermelon wrote:
i purchased a bottle of ivomec 0.27%...so i think i'll trygiving it...is it all right to give it as an oral? Cos i don't dareinject....:p

I keep my bunnies in an air conditioned room..how do i decrease ammonia levels??

Also, what is vanilla for? Flies only? How much am i suppose to give?

Thanks!

Sorry for asking so many questions....

:D

I agree with BlueGiants about staying with the vet meds and holding off on the ivermec.

What kind of bedding and/or litter do you use? Are the buns littertrained? We have 7 house bunnies and have been able to keep odor issuesunder control by using Woody Pet for theirlitter.
Woody.jpg

Lots of controversy over vanilla. The idea is that it helps to cut downon the odor of their urine. It is also said to promote buns to drinkmore, thus diluting the urine more, resulting in less odor from theurine. Less odor attracts less flies.

~Jim

White iodine? Hmm..must go look for it...neverheard of it..Is there a percentage that is better? Cos i think somecome diluted etc...I am using wire cages with breeders celect catlitter.Food - Oxbow alfalfa 15/23Hay - Timothyi clean my cages twice aweek.Main problem with the med that the doc gave is that it is sohard to feed it..my bunny hates it! Even if i rub it on his appletreat....sigh

White iodine is available at a regular drugstores or pharmacies. It's about $3.00 a bottle and onlycomes in one strength.

Is the med a pill? You can try crushing it and mixing it witha bit of apple sauce. I've put apple sauce in a feedingsyringe and fed it to them that way. (Put the tip behind the frontteeth.) Try giving him a little apple sauce plain first tosee if he likes it!

wintermelon wrote:
I am using wire cages with breeders celect cat litter.
The litter you use is similar to "Yeterdays News"...a recycled paper product in pelletized form.

I checked out Breeders Celect on the internet and most of the distributors are in Singapore. Is that where you are located?

I would suggest trying WoodyPet, but it is a Canadian based company and suppliers can sometimes be difficult to locate.

~Jim

Woody.jpg

dealers can be VERY hard to get....

I live in Canada, and still would have to drive an hour to get some....

I just use woodstove pellets, $5 for a 40lb bag at Rona!

lyndsy wrote:

Hi Lyndsy!!

Our local supplier ran out of stock on Woody Pet. :scared:

They also carry wood stove pellets for $4.79USD for 40 lbs. and I wasconsidering them as an alternative, but wasn't sure of their safety andperformance.

So tell me....how do the stove pellets perform. Have you ever used WoodyPet so as to make a comparison between the two?

Do you use it in litter pan where the buns would be in direct contact with it?

JimD wrote:
lyndsy wrote:

Hi Lyndsy!!

Our local supplier ran out of stock on Woody Pet. :scared:

They also carry wood stove pellets for $4.79USD for 40 lbs. and I wasconsidering them as an alternative, but wasn't sure of their safety andperformance.

So tell me....how do the stove pellets perform. Have you ever used WoodyPet so as to make a comparison between the two?

Do you use it in litter pan where the buns would be in direct contact with it?

You may want to check Buck's posts on Woody Pet and wood stovepellets. He made a comment about wood stove pellets nothaving something or other filtered out of them (??)I don't remember the details.

I do know our Buckeye HRS foster homes have used them for years with no problem.

Latest posts

Back