soft stool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtoto

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new bunny owner. My boss found the bunny on the golfcouse and took it home, when my cat passed he gave me the bunny. We kept her in the office for almost a year then i took her home. She is a female around 1 1/2 years old spayed.

I got her a play pen to be in during the day while im at work. I put some toys and her food which consists of fresh veggies. Shes not very fond of timothy hay even though i give it to her.

Binky(my bunny) is potty trianed :)has soft stool sometimes i have taken her to the vet and they just give me some meds and it stops but then it happens again. I have noticed that it's not runny just kinda mush like not all time. She will have regular pelets and then soft poo. Her diet is the same i have taken stuff away like banana for treats. Please advise what to do.

she gets a little bunny bowl of pelets fiesta brand for dinner. Her veggies are bockchoy, carrots, parsley, cilantro, dandolion, endive, mint sometimes. She gets her veggies breakfast lunch and dinner :) loves them. I get the hay from the petstore :(sorry dont remember the brand just that it's the botanical blend she will eat that one.

The worse part is she sits in her littler and gets it on her so today i think i'm gonna take her to the vet. They always tellme to feed her more hay but she just wont eat much of it. My boss went to feed place and got nice yummy looking hay she ran away from it lol. I fell like im such a bad bunny mom i dont know what to do anymore. I want her to be happy.

Please advise i appriciate any help i can get

She probably is getting too many veggies; some veggies cause soft stool in some rabbits and veggies 3 times per day may just be too many for her

if a rabbit is fed one veggie at time in a small amount one can determine which veggies cause Gi upsets and which do not. For ex. I have one rabbit that cannot eat kale without getting GI distress ;.however my other 8 rabbits do fine with it.

All my rabbits get a small to moderate amount of veggies per day. a very small amount of pellets and alot of hay. They are hungry enough to eat alot of hay and seldom have runny poops. if I fed more pellets and veggies they would eat less hay.

An adult rabbit thataround 5 lbs should get only about 1/4th cup pellets per day; it would be better if she got just a plain pellet (either timothy or alfalfa)than a pellet with other things mixed in.
Once yu decrease the pellets and the veggiesI think that she will be hungry enough to eat a good quality hay. Right now she is most likely filling up on other foods.

Good idea to take her to the vet :)

you also may want to give her a probiotic called benebac which is sold at petstotes in either small tubes of gel or in powdered form.

let us know.

Thank you so very much for all the information. As you can tell i know nothing about bunnies i just thought that since they live out in the wild they eat grass so i didnt think her veggies would make her sick. I will try to see if there is anything in particular that makes her tummy act up.

I will start to ween her off her veggies and give her more hay. Will get the new pelets and make sure to give the right amount.

The other issue i have with Binky is she wont drink water yes no water lol. I know this must sound crazy but i put water in diffrent bowls and water bottles made for bunnies and she just dosent drink from them. The vet said she gets her water from all the veggies so she is ok.

I have so many questions about bunnies this is my first one and i feel overwhelmed sometimes. She ate my cable :cry2:cry2and my wall and my nice new shoes and everything she can chew on. I got her chew toys so somewhat better but still chews anything i can put on the wall that will make her not want to chew it?

The vet is right that with that many veggies she is getting enough water in them.

I will give you some links on feeding a rabbit from the library

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

andalso on how to rabbit proof your home (if you want to let her be free roam); it is not safe for either your belongings or for her to be free in the house without certain precautions. She destroys your things and could harm her self (even fatally)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

it is normal behavior for rabbits to chew and dig so you can provide "toys" or items for them to be able to do it safely

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

I took all these links from the RO library ;
When you are on the RO homepage ..scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will find the library. it covers not only health issues but feeding, cages and enclosures, behavior etc.

Thanks. I do worry about having her free since i have read they are so delicat, but you cant tell by the way they chew and eat everything lol i think i will b homless lol soon. I will so look into the library.

Can i give my bunny a bath since she is kinda dirty.

for poopy bottom can i just use regular cornstarch that is in my house? cus all the baby cornstarch powders have like other stuff and i worry it can hurt her.

Latest posts

Back