Soft sticky poo's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex&Bun

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry if i am asking too many questions but Willoughby's poo's are sticky and soft. They are getting everywhere! (including the head of my poor Guinea pig Anouk)

I havent changed his diet, he gets straw, lucerne and pellets everyday and most days he will get lettuce, tomato, carrot, capsicum, snow peas (in variations, not all every day).

Just wondering how to clear him up!

Make the diet more appropriate....unlimited hay with limited greens and pellets. He may also have parasites like worms or coccidia that may come in on veggies. My rabbits eat primarily hay and I rarely have GI issues. I don't house my piggies with my rabbits....but their diet is primarily hay also as well as my degus and chins.

Randy

Is it true that you cannot get grass or timothy hay in Austrlalia?
Straw really should be used just for bedding purposes
I would just feed hay and water and cut out the veggies and pellets until the poops become firm.

How old is your rabbit and what is the amount of pellets that you feed daily. ?

I would also give a probiotic like benebac . You can also use probiotics for horses which usually can be purchased at farm stores in a large tube.

I cannot find anywhere locally that has hay, all the stores around here only have Lucerne and straw :(

Im not sure how old he is.. probably around 4 months. The pellet mix i out there for them all day, but they don't over eat, I keep a careful watch of that. And I clean out their water bottle pretty regularly.

None of the others are having problems.

I did not know that he was that young ...

I don't think that Lucerne is the ideal grass for a rabbit but we have dealt with this before on this forum and I understand the difficulty you have.

Do you know what type of pellets you are feeding him.?

Randy aslo has a good point that he may have a parasiteand need deworming
I would still cut out the veggies for now and just feed hay and in a day or so reassess him and if the poops are better then start up with the pellets again.

If the pellets are mixed with seeds, nuts, and fruit loop-looking things, they're no good. A plain pellet will be much better. Does he have any normal poos? Is it possible that these mushy poos are his cecal poos which are usually eaten, but he's not eating them and they're getting smooshed everywhere?

OK i've rectified the diet problem. I now have Oat hay (only hay I can get and i've driven up and down the coast!). The pellets they have, have corn, seeds etc. in them. Should I just be getting normal pellets with no other mixture?

The oat hay should be good. It's very stemmy and my guys love it. I actually wish I could find some, my store stopped carrying it.

For pellets, you don't want one with seeds or corn in it. Bunnies don't digest these things well and they can cause upset, plus they are really rich in protein, carbs, and sugars, which aren't needed in a bunny's diet.

Bex&Bun wrote:
OK i've rectified the diet problem. I now have Oat hay (only hay I can get and i've driven up and down the coast!). The pellets they have, have corn, seeds etc. in them. Should I just be getting normal pellets with no other mixture?

What is the name of the pellets you use...which doesn't really matter cause all the pellets sold in Australia are lucerne based anyway.

I'm glad you got oat hay,cause i'm assuming,giving him lucerne hay and pellets that contain lucerne as well would not be good for his system..to much lucerne together.

We don't have timothy hay here in Australia..unless you find a vet that carries oxbow timothy hay,then it is very veryexpensive.

Im based in Australia (Sydney), theres lots of retailers of hay, i have or have had access to:

Straw
Lucerne
Meadow
Oaten
Grass

I usually give my rabbits oaten or meadow hay.

Its true we dont get timothy locally, but it can be purchased impored (like Oxbow's packed Timothy hay). Its VERY expensive and rare though.

Im in Wollongong and i've not found anything other than Straw, Lucerne and now Oat. I bought up big on the oat hay! I purchesed a few different types of pellets to see which they like best. The new stuff seems to have lots of grass or green hay in it with very few pellets. But the other i got from Pet parn locally.

Latest posts

Back