Soft poo with new bunny??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableLops

Reaction score
Hi, so some of you all know i got a new bunny, Sylvie who is a 4 month old mini rex.
I have had her for 2 or 3 days now and this just started. Well, i just noticed she has "soft" poop? It is still i the shape of balls but looks very soft and there were a few balls of poo stuck together, i noticed. She was on a type of food the breeder game me and i have been mixing her old food with the food i have, i read you were supposed to do that until you eventually switch them over to the new food. She acts healthy, plays, friendly,jumping,sleeping, drinking, everything a healthy rabbit is supposed to do, btu her poo is just very soft. is this normal for a new bunny in a new home? or do you think it has to do with the food change?

Are they small and shiny? Stuck together like a raspberry? Stinky?

If so, you might be finding some left over cecals or pieces of cecals.

If it is mushy fecal matter, then that is not good.

Is she eating lots of hay?

--Dawn

Dawn is right. It could be cecal poos, which would be relatively normal for a young bunny. Adult bunnies eat these pretty religiously, but younger ones sometimes don't eat them all. If there's a ton of uneaten cecals, that wouldn't be a very good sign.

Stress from changing environments and/or changing diets can lead to mushy fecals/diarrhea, which is due to GI imbalance of bacteria. Different foods have different nutrients in them, so switching them can change which bacteria can live in the GI tract. These bacteria in the GI tract are really important, and if they get really out of whack, it can be serious. This happens more often in young bunnies as well, because their GI flora don't seem to be as stable a population as an older bunnies', since they're younger.

I'd give her some probiotic as a preventative and see if that helps. Something like Bene-Bac or ProBios would be great. I like to give these products whenever I see something strange--for instance, my guys have been having some drier, hairier poos lately, so i plopped a couple of doses of Probios in Tony and Muffin's morning pellets.

You are doing the right thing by gradually switching pellets--it should take about 2 weeks to do a complete switch from one pellet to another.

Sounds like cecals to me.

CecalFecal.JPG

happatk wrote:
angieluv wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:

CecalFecal.JPG
This would make a great poster LOL :biggrin2:

I've never seen cecals in my bunny's cage. Is that bad or does that just mean she's been eating them all?

This is just cracking me up - I quoted you all just to put that cecal vs. fecal picture up ONE MORE TIME! lol!

Yeah it means they're eating it all. I've only seen Kirby leave cecals in the litter box twice. And it was because I gave him too many treats the night before - he produced too much stuff, at which point I I never fed him so much in the way of treats anymore. Some people's bunnies make cecals all day and eat em all day. I think mine make em and eat em at night.

kirbyultra wrote:
happatk wrote:
angieluv wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:

CecalFecal.JPG

I've never seen cecals in my bunny's cage. Is that bad or does that just mean she's been eating them all?

This is just cracking me up - I quoted you all just to put that cecal vs. fecal picture up ONE MORE TIME! lol!

Yeah it means they're eating it all. I've only seen Kirby leave cecals in the litter box twice. And it was because I gave him too many treats the night before - he produced too much stuff, at which point I I never fed him so much in the way of treats anymore. Some people's bunnies make cecals all day and eat em all day. I think mine make em and eat em at night.
Lol, this picture simply deserves to be quoted over and over again. In fact, it should be on the Rabbits Online banner!

Cupcake must be a night-time cecal-maker cause I've never seen one. : / Guess that means I can never make an awesome cecal v. fecal chart. My dreams are crushed.

kirbyultra wrote:
happatk wrote:
angieluv wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:

CecalFecal.JPG

Just had to do itagain .........:biggrin2:

Cecals are called night droppings (usually produced at night)..the hershey kisses of the rabbit world

If a bun is eating all of them you don't see them :D
Except in posters

angieluv wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
happatk wrote:
angieluv wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:

CecalFecal.JPG

Just had to do itagain .........:biggrin2:

Cecals are called night droppings (usually produced at night)..the hershey kisses of the rabbit world

If a bun is eating all of them you don't see them :D
Except in posters
I have nothing to say just wanted to fit in and post this again...LMAO:inlove:

This is like the poo-picture thread record of all time. :laughsmiley:

I only see cecals once in a while, like if somebun gets startled while they're "in the act" and forget what they're doing. I also seem them after a long car ride or trip to the vet, something stressful.

Latest posts

Back