So worried about herbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
Herbie my lillte baby has just gone moments agoto be neutered at the vet and I just feel so nervous as he is my firstbun. I found it really hard to leave as I m so worried on the operation.

Hia mother died when she was being spayed (I didnt own her), so I worryhe could too. I have checked out the vets and they seem good, I feel Ijust put a death sentence on him but I also know I am being silly toworry so much. I considered cancelling the appointment even though heis crazy about continuously humping me!

He is my first bunny so I have never had to take a rabbit to get doneand I just feel so awful at the moment. Will it all be okay - i lovehim so much?

Please reply if someone is online:nerves1- feel so nervy.

thanks

xx

Boys are a lotsafer to neuter thangirls are to spay, I'm sure he'll be fine, but I know how nervewrackingit is. I can't stand waiting when my babies for forprocedures like that. :(

But most boybunnies here have acted like it was a minorinconvenience (if that). THey bounce right back in minutes!

Let us know how he is, I'll wait for news. :hug1

sas

Thanks Pipp

Just felt so ridiculous having a tear in the vets when I am 27!!I almost felt like running out and not doing it -- but i know its muchbetter that I have, also the receptionist lady hates me as when i wentin last week to book the appointment she told me he could not eatbefore the operation. I corrected her, and she was like "er, no,animals should not eat before an op..", and I said, "I dont mean to berude but you are wrong and can you please call the vet" (because if thevet was about to agree with her , i was about to cancel the operation)- fort. the vet agreed with me, and now she sends me hateful looks...!

I am sure he will be fine - cant believe how much I have fallen in lovewith having a rabbit - i love all animals , but he is sooo fun and hassuch sweet and (some strange) personality traits. All my friends thinkI am a bit obsessed but love him too.

Anyway - i work from home, so had better get on (but i know i wont be able to really do anything until he is back home),

thanks again for your help and support (what would i do wothut this site?!)

xx

Pipp wrote:
Boys are a lotsafer to neuter than girls are to spay,I'm sure he'll be fine, but I know how nervewracking it is. Ican't stand waiting when my babies for for procedures likethat. :(

But most boybunnies here have acted like it was a minorinconvenience (if that). THey bounce right back in minutes!

Let us know how he is, I'll wait for news. :hug1

sas

jojo, don't worry. I cancelled Sunny's spay 4 times, and almost a fifth time!

I felt like the worst person in the world that day when I brought her in....But you get over it. You know it needs to be done.

Awww - thanks guys - am feeling a bit better, the vet is going to call me in 40 mins or so on his progress.

Also annoyed as i got a quote for the neuter £85 (yep... that will be$160), and got me to sign form with the price of $226 . I was annoyedat the price difference and asked why, and they said it was to add anIdentichip. Very sneaky:mad:- obviously said to the woman atthe desk (the one that already hates me) - "Erm... i wasnt asked aboutthis additional cost, I have never asked for an identichip "- if i losemy rabbit in london which is highly unlikely - an identichip isnot going to help. Its a bit like doing a hamster.

Grrrr... money making machines.!

Will keep you posted on the Herbster!

xx

If you really think there's no chance at all ofhim getting lost, and you didn't ask for the chip, I'd scream bloodymurder until they reduced the bill. It's not like you'll loseyour deep and meaningful friendship with the receptionist overit. And you're in the right!! Stand up for yourrights as a consumer!

sas

Thanks guys - what with i do without thisforum?! Its like my sanctuary where people really understand (everyoneelse i know thinks its a bit eccentric owning a bunny esp. one thatlives in the house!)

All good news! I am going to get him from the vet in 25 mins time and i just cant wait!

Thanks all of you for all your support, and even though i cried (whichi never normally do) my friends were sweet to me but dont reallytotally understand i think - but i know i can come on here and not haveto explain it, you lots just 'get it' which is really nice to know evenif you are all dotted over the world. Sometimes I also find it weirdhow we are in such different places with such different lives andsurroundings but one common theme :)bunnydance:)- strangereally -- but nice too.

Well thanks again, better get some treats ready now for his return xx

:elephant:

:happydance

Great news!!!

He might be a little groggy and subdued when you go to get him and bring him home.
Keep a close eye on him.
Keep his activity low for a few days.
Make sure he's eating & drinking....he might not be toohungry/thirsty at first. He might drink more from a bowl if offered.
Make sure he's pooping and peeing, too.
Keep his litter pan clean....(if he has one).
I suggest a lite diet for a few days....hay,water,pellets. Minimal treats and veggies to avoid soft stools.
EXTRA hugs and kisses!!

A new toy is mandatory (in my book anyway ;)).

And please keep us updated.

Any pain meds or antibiotics given or sent home??

`jim

hi all

I am a bit worried, I have just taken him home and he was really wobblyand was trying to move around and falling all over the place. I phonedthe vet up and told her this and she said it was okay and it prob hasnot worn off yet - its horrible to see - is it okay for now?

I have covered his cage up so it is nice and dark and quiet - anythingelse? he seems a bit stressed - fast heart beat, but lying down and(his heart beat is a bit slower now)

Any advice would be greatly appreiciated again

xx

Hey - when i took Charlie in to be neutered, Iwas a wreck too. I was close to tears (actually I burst intotears once I got back to the car) as the vet took him into the back(and they kept him overnight!). I just watched his littleface staring out the carrier at me like "Mamma??" when they were takinghim away.

:tears2:

I still get teary thinking about it. Hahah and I'm 27 too. :)

He should be okay, just keep a close eye onhim. Fey and Sprite were really groggy when I picked them upafter their spay. I had blocked off their much-loved shelf,which they usually slept on, with more shelving grids so they couldn'tjump up and rip their stitches out. Fey tried to stand up andsniff it but she was too wobbly. Sprite just wanted up therebut apparently couldn't see straight yet so she jumped bonkedface-first into grids.:(

But they were eating an hour later and they felt much better by the next day.

Once he calms down and settles in, try to tempt him to eat somefood. All three of my girls would eat more food if I held itfor them.

I would say limit his activities, keep him inthe cage for the first 2-3 days. i know it is hard to do, butit is best for him. after my bun got neutered, i got rid ofthe ramp in his 2-floor cage so he did not have to run up anddown. i also gave him a lower-side litter box as he wasshowing signs of struggling with the high-side box. you donot want him to run around or jump up and down, because that may causeinfection.

other than that, give him lots of pets and love, he will be fine. go bunny go!

Hi all,

He is def. less wobbly - but still pretty groggy and still notinterested in food (from when he had the operation he has not eaten for8.5 hours) is this something to worry about?

His ears seem a bit more cool than normal (they are normally quitewarm) so i have the fire going on near his cage to keep himwarm (but i am sitting here too so its not too hot).

It is miserable/raining/cold in london right now... and today i have developed a cold. which is nice.

:bunnieskiss- to all buns that feel ill, or just had anoperation that feel like rubbish right now - or, just having a bad day!

thanks again for more advice

xx

Hi Jojo,

He might like a nice warm towel to snuggle up with, or fill a sock withrice and stick it in the microwave. This is nice to cuddle up to aswell. Try tempting him with his favorite foods.

Jordi would only eat alfalfa hay after her spay, not even craisins.

I'm glad he's doing well.

About the "identichip" I'm assuming that's like a microchip, in whichcase, at the shelter we do those for $25, less than that when it'sincluded in the adoption. That price seems a bit high,considering the bun I just adopted was neutered and microchipped for$25.

jordiwes wrote:
Hi Jojo,

He might like a nice warm towel to snuggle up with, or fill a sock withrice and stick it in the microwave. This is nice to cuddle up to aswell. Try tempting him with his favorite foods.

Jordi would only eat alfalfa hay after her spay, not even craisins.
:yeahthat

And Pipp didn't eat or move at all for 23 hours. I was justpacking up to rush her off to the vet when she started nibbling atsomething. Herbie being a boy shouldn't be thatbad.

I was a wreck, but then I usually am where the bunnies areconcerned. I've never laughed or cried so muchmylife since falling head over heels forbunnies!

It's amazing the love one can feel for those little creatures. :inlove:

sas

Latest posts

Back