So whatcha think?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinksMama

Reaction score
Wrote this article about where to adopt/buy a bunny.

Where to Buy Your New Bunny
Ok, so you've decided you'd like a bunny and have done your research, but where do you get her from?
There are two very good options, Shelter/Rescue or Breeder (NEVER buy/adopt from a pet store!!)
Here I'll tell you a little about each. :)

Shelter/Rescue
Shelters and Rescues are an excellent place to get a bunny from! The bunnies are usually already spayed or neutered (Some wait until the adoption has been finalized), quite friendly and used to human contact. Some maybe a little skittish or shy at first but will warm up to you after they get used to their new home. It's very important to go to the shelter with an open mind, don't have your heart set on a certain breed or color. Adopting a bunny from a rescue or shelter takes time, you may or may not find the perfect one the first time you go and look, don't get discouraged, keep going back and eventually you'll fall in love with one. Be prepared to fill out a 2-5 page adoption application, and possibly have a home inspection and in home interview. It can take as little as a week or up to four weeks to adopt your bunny, it may even take longer depending on how busy the shelter is. Be prepared for it to be a little stressful, but after all the stress is over you'll be able to enjoy your new member of the family. A lot of adopters use petfinder.com to locate their new bunny, there you can look at pictures and descriptions of bunnies available all over the US.

Breeder
Breeders are another excellent place to get a bunny from, I would recommend a breeder if you're looking for a specific breed or color. Contact the National Specialty Club for the breed you've picked out for a list of breeders in your state/area. Breeders will be able to assure you that the rabbit is 100% pure bred, they may or may not provide a pedigree with the bunny (each breeder is different). Some bunnies can be a little skittish, as not all breeders are able to handle all of their bunnies every day. They also are not usually spayed or neutered.[align=center][/align]

It looks good. I would add something in the breeder part about contacting a local rabbit breeders club. They should know more local breeder and can help you find someone who breeds what you want. Not all breeders do join the national club, but may join a local club. Even if the breeder is not part of the breeders club, other breeders might still know them. Rabbit shows can also be good places to meet breeders and pick up a rabbit that may have been too far for you to get yourself.

I like it! Very informative. Very uplifting in both areas. But truly like the adoption part. Not many people know what to expect. And love the part of not getting discouraged and keep going back until a bunny steals your heart.

As someone who will breed one day, and someone who rescued and purchased, I'll always have room in my home for a rescue. It keeps me balanced.

Thanks Jake and Willard.

K:)

Latest posts

Back