So what breed is my Piffy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelh

Reaction score
So what breed is Piffy?

I bought her from a petstore (Russia), and her caged was labelled "Decorative Rabbit".

I think she's about 7 weeks old.

rong3.jpg

rong5.jpg

rong1.jpg

may8--0018.jpg

Hi
Well first i have to say.. OMG YOUR BUNNY IS SOOOO CUTE!
now.. back to the question i would say that she is a netherland dawrf. I only say that because of the size of her ears... they usually have smaller ears than most rabbits so that's why but i am not 100% sure it sometimes hard to tell. But they only get beween 2-3 1/2 lbs so she will be pretty small! Have fun with your new rabbit!

WoW! Too bad "adorable" isn't a breed! She is precious! Her fur looks so soft! I'd guess a Netherland Dwarf mix of some kind.

Best of luck with her!

To me she looks a lot fluffier than a Netherland Dwarf and her ears look too big to be one- they have stumpy little ears. She also looks younger than 7 weeks to me. I got Tallulah (Holland Lop) and Phoebe Mae (Holland Lop-Mini Rex mix) at 7 weeks and they looked a lot more mature than her. She is absolutely adorable and precious though, and I know you're taking fantastic care of her! She couldn't ask for a better bunny mommy.

Definitely not a Netherland because of the size and shape of her ears.

She actually looks to me like she may be a Fuzzy Holland. They are Holland Lops that get the wool gene, so they grow wool kind of like a Jersey Wooly or American Fuzzy Lop. That being said, she only looks maybe 3 or 4 weeks old to me. Be very careful to watch what she's eating and drinking and make sure everything's going ok. That's way too young to wean!

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Definitely not a Netherland because of the size and shape of her ears.

She actually looks to me like she may be a Fuzzy Holland. They are Holland Lops that get the wool gene, so they grow wool kind of like a Jersey Wooly or American Fuzzy Lop. That being said, she only looks maybe 3 or 4 weeks old to me. Be very careful to watch what she's eating and drinking and make sure everything's going ok. That's way too young to wean!
If you read that thread I started in the infirmary post, you'll soon see how I learned that hard lesson of "buying a rabbit that's too young" ... :nerves1

Thank you, and I will be careful :)

angieluv wrote:
OakRidge ...

Wouldn't a holland lop baby have lop ears or do they flop overwhen they are older?

One of my HL babies is JUST starting to lop...and she just hit the 6 week mark, so it's entirely possible there's lop there.;)

angieluv wrote:
OakRidge ...

Wouldn't a holland lop baby have lop ears or do they flop overwhen they are older?

It depends a lot on the individual rabbit.

Like I said, the rabbit looks maybe 4 weeks old to me. The ear shape and size at this point in time is what indicates to me that it may be a Holland. Depending on the line, they can lop as early as 3 or 4 weeks, or as late as 4 to 6 months. Generally, mine will lop around 5 or 6 weeks old unless they have a tight crown.

It could be some kind of mix as well, but based on it's current characteristics, my best guess is Holland or possibly (less likely) a Lionhead. It's hard to say because it is so young right now.;)Just my best guess.

Hehe, my Tallulah was a Holland Lop and she had her little earsies up in the air until she was about 10 weeks old. She could control if she wanted them up or down. That made for adorable photos like these:

Tallulah4.jpg

Tallulahanddogscropped.jpg

ValentineBunnies035.jpg

The ears are one of the best parts of Holland Lops! I can't wait to watch Piffy grow up because she's so sweet. Oh and for reference, Lula was about 7 1/2 weeks old in those first two pictures. You can see how much bigger she was than Piffy. She was a little bunny too, the smallest from her litter.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Just curious...why are some of you thinking Lionhead? Her fur looks pretty consistent in length all over.

Thats sometimes how there fur looks when they're young. Its obviously not a pure lionhead... but the body and head shape definitly resemble that of a lionhead.

Wow...your answers are making me more confused than ever. SInce i got her in Russia, do you think she might be of some .. urm ... local breed?

What a cutie!! She is so tiny! I think she looks like a lionhead, maybe mixed with Netherland Dwarf. Def a mix though becuase of that long fur, but of course that could just be baby fur.

You'll just have to see how she grows and then you'll be able to tell better what breed she might be.

Latest posts

Back