So, we're considering getting another rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jack

Reaction score
We were at the pet store in the mall today,hoping to show Elsa the baby hedgehog that I had seenpreviously. I guess the lil guy had already been sold becausein his place were about 6 or so bunnies. I think they weremini-rexes. They must have been fairly recent additions asthey weren't scared of us and were quite curious, or maybe we alwayscarry a faint scent of other bunnies.

Elsa then suggests that maybe it would be a good idea for us to getanother rabbit. Not neccessarily the ones at the store butwith the sudden passing of Phoebe reminding us just how fragile our lilguys are, she was thinking about how if one day something happened toone of the other ones how one would be left all alone. Ithink she made a good point, with how it would be better to get anotherbunny soon rather than after should one of them pass and then have todeal with being depressed and getting to know another bunny.

I don't know if I'm making this sound too confusing. And, Idon't mean to sound like another one of them is going to die soon...which my first reaction was to say that it wasn't like any of our boyswas going to die anytime soon.

I guess it just seems to us like three bunnies seems to be the best number for us.

So, Elsa is thinking that maybe we'll go ahead and get anotherrabbit. She wants to buy this one as kind of a late birthdaypresent for me. I think we might go with a holland lop sincewe were kind of stuck between those and lionheads from the beginningand they are close to the same size, relatively same behavioralcharacteristics, and same care needs.

Are you new here, or posted under another name?

Gotta say, love this nickname of yours! I love W&G. Not to highjack this thread btw.
I just acquired a Holland Lop, or so I believe him to be, and I lovehim to pieces. He is the cutest! A co-worker ofmine saw the pic I took of him and she thinks he looks fake,stuffed. :shock2:

I agree with you. I think three rabbits is a perfect number, especially when you can get all three to bond.

As you said, it gives you a lot of comfort knowing that if somethinghappens to one, the other wont be left to grieve all alone.

I was so sorry to hear about your little lionhead who justpassed. I think its wonderful that you want to bring anotherone into your home.

Have you considered seeing if there are any shelters or rescues in yourarea who would allow you to bring your rabbits in to meet theprospective mates? I have three males that Im trying to bondright now, and its very difficult. I wish I couldve taken my bondedpair in and let them choose their own third bunny.

I hope everything works out for you. Do you have a blog on here? Iveheard a lot about how you were able to adopt from Peg and everything,but Ive never seen pics of your rabbits.

I'm actually a mod here but I've been away for several months and just recently started posting again.

Me and my girlfriend are pretty big fans of W&G too.I forget why exactly I chose this screen name though I believe it wasmore than just a reference to W&G.

Haley wrote:
Iagree with you. I think three rabbits is a perfect number, especiallywhen you can get all three to bond.

As you said, it gives you a lot of comfort knowing that if somethinghappens to one, the other wont be left to grieve all alone.

I was so sorry to hear about your little lionhead who justpassed. I think its wonderful that you want to bring anotherone into your home.

Have you considered seeing if there are any shelters or rescues in yourarea who would allow you to bring your rabbits in to meet theprospective mates? I have three males that Im trying to bondright now, and its very difficult. I wish I couldve taken my bondedpair in and let them choose their own third bunny.

I hope everything works out for you. Do you have a blog on here? Iveheard a lot about how you were able to adopt from Peg and everything,but Ive never seen pics of your rabbits.

Unfortunately from the research I've done for an article on localanimal shelters, last I've heard there wasn't any forrabbits. With the way things are around here dogs and catsare already more than what they can handle here.

I'm hoping that since lionheads and holland lops are both relativelynon-aggressive breeds that they won't be too hard to bond.Also since all of our rabbits are young (less than 1 year old) andneutered they won't be aggressive towards a new bunny. I'llcertainly take some steps to make sure they will bond (ie neutral areameet & greets).

I do have a bunny blog but it is horribly outdated.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12490&forum_id=6

Welcome and just browse around and like me,you'll find alot out about rabbits and bonding. I don't havemuch experience w/ it ...yet. I just had Snuffles neutered aweek and a half ago. Waiting for his hormones to stop so Ican at least let my female out. Then slowly startbonding. I'll let everyone know how it goes! :ponder:

Jack, I'm really glad you two are looking atgetting another bunny. You're great bunny parents, you'vejust had some really, really awful luck.

Have you looked at the info on bonding? Being young doesn'tmean that they'll be more accepting of newcomers. My Polishgirl Mocha was pretty aggressive to her now-husbun Loki when she was 5months old, and downright vicious to Fey and Sprite just a few monthslater. It really depends on the individual. Soyou'll still need to go slow with the introductions. There'slots of info on bonding in the Bunny 101 bonding thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Keep us updated! And while you're at it, show us some more pics of your babies!

naturestee wrote:
Jack, I'm really glad you two are looking at getting anotherbunny. You're great bunny parents, you've just had somereally, really awful luck.

Have you looked at the info on bonding? Being young doesn'tmean that they'll be more accepting of newcomers. My Polishgirl Mocha was pretty aggressive to her now-husbun Loki when she was 5months old, and downright vicious to Fey and Sprite just a few monthslater. It really depends on the individual. Soyou'll still need to go slow with the introductions. There'slots of info on bonding in the Bunny 101 bonding thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Keep us updated! And while you're at it, show us some more pics of your babies!

Yes, compatible temperament is one of the more key factors I'm goingfor when it comes to picking a new bunny friend for our boys and wewill be using proper bonding techniques to get all of the bunnies wellacquainted with each other.

I know we gotta find some time to take more pictures. Elsahas a really nice new digital camera that'll take some greatpics. Just need to find the time to inbetween school and myinternship and what not.

Latest posts

Back