So scared....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MousQwene

Reaction score
Penny is turning out to be a rather scaredy-bunny and is very shy yet. Does anybody have tips on how my fiance and I can help ease her out of this? She still fights being picked up and darts into the corner when we even just peek our head into the room. It's breaking our hearts and we don't know what to do to help her. The cage has been moved from the living room to our bedroom and I've set up a run area for her when we're home and can supervise. She was very curious about this at first, but now she just sits in her tray which defeats the purpose of having the open run area to begin with.

Does she have any toys to throw around or chew when you are gone?

if not might want to invest in a few..mine like plastic infant balls that rattle when you move them, untreated wicker mats to chew on, papertowel rolls, and wooden bird toys that I hang up for them to chew...also love to play inside big empty cardboard boxes.
in terms of you and your fiance ..try to be very patient with her.
rabbits like to make the first move becuase it is the nature of a prey animal to run if approached

Each night go into the room, let her out of her cage and then read the newspaper or read sitting on the floor. if she ignores you just talk nicely to her but don't approach her. repeat this every night. At some point she will figure out that you are harmless and probably begin to approach you out of curiousity. even then keep your hands to your self and let her make all the moves.

You will be surprised how over time this works. I have had scaredy cat rabbits climbing on me when I sit reading and yet run away if I try to touch. just be Patient and go slow.:)

tinymonster wrote:
Lying on the ground instead of standing might also help, that way you're down on her level instead of towering over her.
Yes I find lying on the ground gets them interested in you. Give it a go. And let us know how it goes for you?

The other posters all had good advice. One thing I tried when I got my rabbits was to give them treats and I would hold it. Like I would hold a carrot for them. They wanted the carrot so they would come to me but were hesitant at first. Now they just run up. Good Luck

[email protected] wrote:
The other posters all had good advice. One thing I tried when I got my rabbits was to give them treats and I would hold it. Like I would hold a carrot for them. They wanted the carrot so they would come to me but were hesitant at first. Now they just run up. Good Luck

Been trying that but it isn't working say my rabbits don't want to get close. I got them at 4 months old is that two late?

sorry for :threadhijacked:

I got one of my rabbits at 6 months so I don't think 4 months is to late at all. Some rabbits are adopted as adults and still bond. I think just like humans rabbits have different personalities. I have one rabbit that loves attention and another who is more shy and I treat them both the same. If they won't take it from your hand put it 5 feet from you and sit and wait. Like another poster said lay down and read something. It may take a little time. Then after awhile move it closer and closer to you. Lay on the floor and watch tv and let them roam around. See how close they get. They will eventually warm up to you it just may take a little time.

Thereis a new rabbit at the rescue who is very shyand fearful. She is getting better though because every time we walk by we give her pets. It just takes time and dedication to gain their trust.

I have a harlequin female named Willow.I adopted her because I never thought she would leave the shelter. she was an abuse case, kept at the shelter until the court hearing,..she had been left in her outdoor hutch starving with a dead cagemate.
After she regained her strength she began to 'box " people .
Not the family pet type

it took 2 years for her to trust me. She is now living with Beau and to be honest she watched me care for him after dental surgery. I was hovering over him all the time , changing his water , giving him pedialyte , changing his towels, giving him fresh food.
After awhile she began to climb on me when I was taking care of him; I do believe that she learned to trust me by watching me with him.

rabbits are really intelligent :)
and she is a sweet wonderful girl
i'll post a pic of them together although this is getting off-topic

Willow :)
I am having problems with photobucket and couldn't download a pic of beau and willow

100_0035.jpg

Hi,
I've only have a bunny for 6 months and she was forever hiding. However, I found if you sit on the floor in the same room, she will get used to you and eventually come over and have a sniff. It took a good month for Puddles to get the nerve to say hello properly, I know it's hard but try and have some patience.

Here's a link to the question I asked http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38214&forum_id=26

Hope it helps in a small way :)

EDIT: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

good replies have already been made, but I wanted to add that I got my girl at about 1 year old and it took her 5-6 mo for her to trust me. Now she's very sweet and loving, but still fearful at times. my boy I got at a year, and he really warmed up to me after about 4 months, and we were best buds by 6 mo. the bf's nethie Benjamin we got at about 6 mo, and he was already very well socialized, so he bonded to us immediately. we've had him since june and he's a bit fearful at times, but usualy very friendly. so, it depends on the bunny and how much time you have to try to gain their trust. some bunnies have been hurt by people before and aren't sure they can trust them (muffin, my girl, was like that), so it may take longer and you have to try harder. there's a girl at the shelter who has had at least 3 homes and she's just plain mean sometimes. poor girl doesn't have any reason to trust people, so she doesn't. tony was treated ok and took about a normal length of time to adapt (i think). benjamin was very well socialized so he liked us very quickly. i think any bunny that hasn't been traumatically hurt by people, given enough time of just sitting on the floor and letting him sniff you, will eventually come to bond to a person, no matter their age.;) it can be frustrating, but be patient, move slowly ane quietly around her.

What I did was let him run around on the floor and then sit there reading a book/magazine whatever. They hate being ignored and will soon come over to explore you and figure out why you are ign oring them and not talking to them etc.

Then eventually the bun should let you stroke him when he figures out that your harmless and there to serve him!!!

I got her some toys to play with that she enjoys (when she thinks we aren't looking). I've gotten in the habit of taking a book or the computer and laying on the floor a few feet away from her tray with her bowl of hay close by. She'll come out, cautiously, to nibble at the hay before darting back into her tray. She has yet to come any closer than that, but I'm willing to be patient. Thanks for the advice!

MousQwene wrote:
I got her some toys to play with that she enjoys (when she thinks we aren't looking). I've gotten in the habit of taking a book or the computer and laying on the floor a few feet away from her tray with her bowl of hay close by. She'll come out, cautiously, to nibble at the hay before darting back into her tray. She has yet to come any closer than that, but I'm willing to be patient. Thanks for the advice!
What type of toys did you get her? I might get some for my rabbits.

I just got some plastic balls that rattle (from the cat toy section) and a hanging thing with bright wooden beads and a bell on the end (from the bird toy section)

angieluv wrote:
Willow :)
I am having problems with photobucket and couldn't download a pic of beau and willow

100_0035.jpg

Willow is gorgeous!!

Toys are good for her too have, just be careful with some that can hold treats, the ends can come off and are really sharp and can poke rabbits eyes. If you see the ends off or the treats off then take the toy out.

Latest posts

Back