SO SAD!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
I guess I'm just looking for Internet hugs for a minute. My orange lop Marmalade was supposed to deliver our very first litter of Holland lops today by our adorable buck Dude. She built a beautiful nest with lots of hair (she's a proven doe, according to the breeder we got her from who is very well respected in Florida) and had five gorgeous, evenly sized (no runts or Max factor babies) plump and beautiful babies...all on the wire.

I know that losing litters is part of the deal and it's happened before, but for some reason I am particularly sad about this loss. It's our first Holland lop litter and Marmalade and Dude are such sweet, sweet rabbits. I'm heartbroken, a little bit. :(

Thank you eclaire.

From other breeders, I would really like to know of your methods for "reviving" dead kits found on the wire. I think these babies were past saving, but just in case it is caught earlier, I would like to know what to do. I've heard of holding them to your chest in your shirt and simply using your body warmth; of putting them in a Ziploc bag and running it under warm water (seems risky to be, with breathing and with the water); or putting them in a towel and blowing a hair dryer on them, and that's it. I would also like to know if you have ever noticed a change in mental capacity or overall physical health and development in using these methods.

Thanks...

I had found a litter that was 4 days old on the wire because mom destroyed her nest. When I found them they where really cold but still trying to move so I brought them inside and wrapped them in a towel and used the blowdryer on them. You want to make sure you keep moving the blow dyer so it is not in the same spot or burns them. Also I kept rubbing them to make them move.
I saved 3 out of four babies that where in the litter. I didn't think they had any development issues as they got older but I may have caught them really soon before they got too cold. They are all 7 months old now and very healthy bunnies.
Hope that helps but I find the blow dryer as the best method for me. making sure you keep rubbing them to try and revive them.

I stick them in my bra depending upon how cold they are. Of course, I've never had to stick a large number or large breed in my bra - can you imagine 6 baby flemish giants or something?

I'd look like the next Dolly Parton!

That is sad. When I find newly dead kits I warm them up by putting them in the hot water cupboard or down my shirt. I recently hand raised a litter of mini lops since there were 4 days old they have no health problems.

I have a plant mat for warming germinating seed pots, first I put a damp washcloth in the microwave for 15 seconds, if it is too hot to touch let it cool before putting it around the baby(s) then I place them on the plant mat until they are thoroughly warmed, then I try putting them back with mom. I did this with a few babies that were cold enough they were no longer moving and got surprised when they revived!

Apparently my bunny was born on the wire (also a holland lop) and the breeder picked her up, warmed her with her hands/breath, and put her into the pile of kits in the nest.. Obviously she survived and is quite intelligent for a rabbit, so I'd say if you catch them in time it's possible for them to fully recover. Maybe the mom was just stressed about her litter in a new place, better luck next time!

I've revived them by rubbing them and keeping them near a heater.

Another way I saw a breeder on FB do it was put warm water in a deep plate and cover that plate with saran wrap (make sure it's super tight, so it doesn't slip) and lay the baby on top of that. It's like a hot water bed. It seemed to work great.

I definitely wouldn't put them in a ziploc bag though. You'd suffocate them, if they weren't too far gone already. ;)

Emily

Back