so sad and overwhelmed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i adopt its for life...i make things work for all my animals..yes its more work ..yes its a pain..but think about this animal ,,she thinks this is home now...to get rid of her when shes not used to a rabbit in her face..this isnt a cat that terrorizes the family..she doesnt know how to act around a bunny ..except for instinct.....i have a pitbull i would NEVER EVER rehome her shes my baby..but instinct is she will kill my buns ,or my cats,or my other dogs...i just have to do more work and keep her seperated from all other animals...getting rid of her is NOT an option for me....u get rid of animal if they harm a person ...not because they do what comes as an instinct to them....and u sure dont get rid of an animal cuz she takes more effort......tocuhy subject for me as u can tell..

I couldn't rehome her. My hubby kept the subject going though. I took a day to think about it and I just couldn't. I would have no idea really what home she would have. She is a big sook.

To me, it's like having a child. If my child were to do something, I wouldn't want her given away. When I put it to my hubby that way, he just shrugged and said it was up to me so I guess I won that one. I told him though, it couldn't be brought up again because the whole thought process was too stressful.

I'm still thinking about a few suggestions. I like the idea of an actual door and those soft claws.

Flash Gordon wrote:
when i adopt its for life...i make things work for all my animals..yes its more work ..yes its a pain..but think about this animal ,,she thinks this is home now...to get rid of her when shes not used to a rabbit in her face..this isnt a cat that terrorizes the family..she doesnt know how to act around a bunny ..except for instinct.....i have a pitbull i would NEVER EVER rehome her shes my baby..but instinct is she will kill my buns ,or my cats,or my other dogs...i just have to do more work and keep her seperated from all other animals...getting rid of her is NOT an option for me....u get rid of animal if they harm a person ...not because they do what comes as an instinct to them....and u sure dont get rid of an animal cuz she takes more effort......tocuhy subject for me as u can tell..

I have to say I am totally with you on this one. Just my personal opinion but when I adopt it is for life. When I bring a pet into my family, it is in my family regardless.

Jen

I want to mention that the width of the gate may be a contributing factor. If the gate is a few inches wide, the cat can probably jump up on top of it, then jump down, rather than jumping up and over. I just saw a cat do it when I was babysitting tonight, and the gate was only about 2" wide.

I really need to check my email!! I always miss responses arggh. Claire, I think you're right. My baby gate is stretched to it's limits which I think is the problem too. It's probably lower than if I had it more narrow so sort of the opposite to what you're talking about but made me do some thinking.

Manu is overweight. She normally only makes it onto the bed. I think the babygate is too low and she can scale it.

I now have a good system. I have a VERY high dresser that even my really high jumping cat can't get onto and it's on wheels and I just roll it in front of the doorway. It's also very low on the bottom not even the buns can get under it.

So, now, I have peace when the bunnies are out. It's a good feeling :) looks a bit awkward but oh well, keeps everyone safe :)

Just be careful that the dresser always covers the doorway, and if you put up a door, that everyone knows to close it! My first bunny Sancho died when my boyfriend forgot to close the door that separated him from my bf's ferret. The ferret attacked my bunny and didn't do much physical damage, but Sancho's heart stopped at the vet from being so scared (after they told me he would be fine). I still miss him, and I still feel really terrible about it three years later. I would hate to hear of it happening to anyone's bunny.

I hope BunBun is still doing well! If he is the gray bunny in your pic, he is adorable!

I'm so sorry about your bunny Sancho :( we nearly lost BunBun and we recently lost our Tahli. It was and still is excrutiating. The dresser is working great, there are no gaps at all and I feel my bunnies are safe now.

talk about panic though. even with the dresser I make sure our not very bunny friendly kitty is in someone's room while the bunnies have their run/play times.

Since we nearly lost BunBun and did lose Tahli ( not due to the cat), we are super vigilant to close all doors. Even my 4 year old panics and closes everything.

I had thought about a door but since we're in a rental, we wouldn't be able to do that. It would have been an easier solution though. We got used to the rolling and dragging of the dresser finally :) and the baby gates, and the doors lol it's like fort knox now.

I'm glad you've worked everything out. I have the same problem with two of my dogs. The chihuahua I got from the shelter two years ago hates my cocker spaniel. I have to keep them completely seperate or Buster Brown will kill the chihuahua.

When I was pet -sitting in Chicago in the 90"s I used to take care of a Dalmation who was really viscious with other dogs and smaller animals

I was in a 2 room apartment and separated my dog from the visious dog by pushing a large chest of drawers into the doorway . It was too heavy to move soI used toclimb on top of it and over it.
It really was a pain in the ***

Despite all of my attempts to keep things safe the dalmation did end up getting my guinea pig and killing her becauseI was not careful enoughone time

That is really one of the reasons I suggested rehoming a newly adopted cat.

I do not believe in rehoming a pet UNLESS there is a risk of the newer pet injuring or killing other pets or a human member of the family

I really should not have brought that dalmation into my apartment
I was extremely careful yetI slipped up once and my guinea pig lost her life:(

I'm happy it's working out for you. I think having a scare would definitely make you extra vigilant, so although it's definitely terrible to get scared like that in the first place, at least it makes you aware. Now my problem is my current bunny, Houdini, with my birds (he's like a cat with them!), and I know I'm really cautious because it's terrible losing an animal that way. Best of luck with all of your animals! :)

it's strange that you mentioned rehoming again..because my children and husband are suggesting it strongly again despite the fact that I said don't ask me again.

I'm starting to waver and I am hating myself for it.

My sister is a huge animal lover. She said though that I have to remember the safety of all members of this family, human and non human and if one of the animals if terrorizing 8 other beings then maybe it would make more sense to rehome her.

Because keeping her locked away from everyone and the other cat and the bunnies because she is vicious with them, is not fair of kind to her either.

I really don't know what to do. I am not a believer in rehoming animals but sometimes maybe there is very good reason.

I'm scared of backlash too if I rehome her but the bottom line is I have 8 other living things here ( humans included) who are having their lives turned around because of one).

I'm thinking maybe the loving thing is to find her a home where she will be the solo kitty and pet because on her own she is awesome.

After my dog died in 2003I went on the Internet and found a dog in a small Michigan shelter that looked just like the dog that I lost (I did not know then that you cannot replace an animal)

The woman at the shelter worked with me over the phone reassuring me that the dog got along with all the chickens and other animals that she had on her farm.

Ispent months arranging a transport and finally got her to Wi.

She was exactly what I wanted and did look like my previous dog.

She was wonderful with my other dog
BUT

she had an very strong prey drive and would have killed all my rabbits, bird and cats .

Ihad to live in a section of the house with her by myself asI could not allow her in the general area. All I did was cry .
I talked with an animal behaviorist in Chicago re the situation and whether I could attempt to deal with this through dog training

She said that it is almost impossible and unnatural to attempt to eradicate prey drive and she felt that I should rehome my dog becauseI was responsible for the safety of the animals that I already had.

Idid not justtake the dog to a shelter but actually had her takenby a rescue who kept their fosters in private homes. I was allowed to track her progress and know where she went and that she was quickly adoptedto a great home.

It is not irresponsible if you find either a really good shelter or rescue and track the progress of the animal .

Iwould not rehome an animal for any other reason and I am not saying that you should do it but because of what has happened to me I know that accidents do happen to even the best of us and I would not want to see any of your other pets injured.

My best friend would not rehome an animal for any reason (even prey drive) soI understand the strength of your feelings but I do not think that it is wrong in a case where other animals or people are at risk.

Latest posts

Back