so sad and overwhelmed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristaw.

Reaction score
my cat jumped over the babygate and bunbun was out and once again was wounded. this time, it's worse than before. I can't believe it happened. he is beyond wounded. he is not acting wounded and i don't know why. he is eating, pooping, peeing..actually is laid out right now in a cage but he is wounded to the bone.
I know I have to make a decision quickly. very quickly. my car is broken down. he needs a vet desperately and i'm so torn. his ear is mutilated. I can see bone where his ear meets his head.
I dont know why I'm writing and I know I put this is in the wrong category because the only thing I can do is take him to a vet and the only thing a vet could possible do is to put him to sleep.
I know this in my heart.
I can't take this pain. The cat is overweight and has not tried to jump the babygate. this time she did and bunbun being non neutered because his surgery was put off due to the original wound went after her. I was not quick enough to separate them.
I feel so much guilt. I am to blame and I don't have a clue where to go from here except to hope he makes it through the night and I can get someone to drive us to a vet in the morning and then ask those difficult questions.

tristaw. wrote:
I dont know why I'm writing and I know I put this is in the wrong category because the only thing I can do is take him to a vet and the only thing a vet could possible do is to put him to sleep.
That is far from the only thing they could do with a cosmetic injury on the ear! While I'm sure it looks awful and is causing him a great deal of pain (even though he will not show it due to being a prey animal) it shouldn't be death sentence.

Is it bleeding heavily?
That and shock/pain will be the biggest factors on surviving the night until seeing the vet in the morning.

How is he doing this morning, Tristana?

What you might have to do is start locking the cats up when the bunnies are out, I had it do it with Kipper the first few times Snickers was out because she was playing a little too rough, she never hurt him but I was worried she would, so I would just put her in my bedroom and shut the door, now she's fine with him but I would still never leave her alone with him...if I can't supervise then away she goes.

I really hope the vets can help BunBun :( I have my fingers crossed for him. :hug:

Don't blame yourself, Tristana. Noone could have predicted this, and what's done is done. Now all you need to do is borrow a friends car, hell, even get a taxi! And get down to that vet as soon as possible. Bunbun is eating, drinking and pooping- thank god!!! It doesn't seem that shock will hinder his healing, so getting down to that vet as soon as you can to stop bleeding and prevent infection setting in will be the next thing to do.

Jen

don't think the worst, bunnies can be tougher than you think. My ferret was "playing" with my bunny and bit a huge chunk of her eyeball out and goo was oozing out of it. Butthe vet sewed it up and it healed. She was even able to partially see out of it. So hang in there and just hurry and get your bunny to the vet any way you can.

You also may want to get a higher gate--we have an expandable one that was bought at Walmart and you can place one on top of the other making it 6 feet tall as it sounds like they definitely need to maintain a separate space.

This is trulyatragic accident :(

let us know ..

Cats have a lot of bacteria in their saliva which is extemely toxic not just to rabbits but also to other species including humans.

With heavy antibiotic therapy and a lot of antiseptic cleansingsof the wounds some buns do survive attacks like this but many can not ; let us know the extent of the damage

I am so sorry :(

ur bun can survive this Tristana.this is not a reason to put him down....ive seen buns with no ears ..that never had antibiotics ...dont put him down over a cosmetic issue..please....

yea i stack the locking gates on top of each other when i have my dogs inside and a bun is out...my pitbull is another story..i dont have her anywhere near the buns..she could plow down those gates way too easy ..

whatever u decide to do ...we are here for you .

Just an update. BunBun is fine. I didn't want to put him down, I didn't know that there would be anything they could do other than that. I'm not rabbit savvy yet at all. I do't care what BunBun looks like. I love him too much. He could have no ears for all I care. I just didn't see how an injury that looked so severe could ever heal.

The vet didn't do much. He cleaned the wound. he asked me if I had actually seen the cat attack bunbun. I hadn't but assumed since the cat was over the gate and bunbun's ear was so torn up that it had been due to the cat.

The vet said it looked like BunBun had scratched open his old wounds as they were healing. He is back on antibiotics anyway despite the fact he had no fever and showed really nothing wrong at all except for how nasty that wound looked.

After it was cleaned it really didn't look as bad at all.
So, I guess I over reacted. I was just so scared. It's just that he had been so ill and he had just gotten over it.

He is one tough bunny. Thank you all for your support and wishes.

OMG I am surprised I expected the worst. !

Do you need to continue to clean the wounds? is bun Bun behaving normally ?

Usually a heavy dutyantibiotic like injectable bicillin is necessary for something as severe as a cat bite. I would not be comfortable just using the baytril (that's what you are giving ??)

please be sure to never let the cat around Bun Bun again;I know that I probably didn't need to say that :)

I am really glad that this did not turn out to be a disaster...

oh my god TRISTANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!..i was thinking the worst since u werent online for awhile...!!..u have no idea how happy i am !!..i kept looking at Bunbuns pic and thinkin he was gone...i did a little happy dance just now,, my boyfriend thinks im a nut..hehe

angieluv, now I'm a bit worried because I wasn't given any thing to clean his wound with or even told to clean it. The doctor cleaned it well and told me that if it starts bleeding a little bit to leave it because it will protect the wound?? is that TRUE? He said to just let it heal now but watch for swelling and a bad smell.

But now I'm wondering, I felt a bit rushed in there.

Other than that he is perfectly normal. He is going binkies and bunny flops. He's devouring hay like it's going out of style. He's off his pellets a bit but still eating some. He just seems to prefer the hay at the moment which is odd because trying to get him to eat hay has been a struggle from day one.

His hormones are running wild though. My cat ( the one who is declawed and old and gentle was at his mercy but she just went high on a table and looked at him like he was nuts.

She runs from him. I have never had a problem ever with her but I still watch them closely. They are actually quite bonded to each other.She is not allowed in the room with him either though when I am not present and can see her on my console table. If she is on the floor she gets put elsewhere quickly.

The other cat has absolutely no contact at all with him not even when I am present. I feel bad for the cat though and have been trying to think of solutions. She hasn't been with us long, we adopted her. My husband wants her rehomed because he is protective over the rabbits. I never thought I'd be ever contemplating re-homing a pet of mine.

I really don't know what to do.

But back to BunBun,
The doctor gave him baytril again this time. He responded well to it the last time and he was better very quickly. Should I have the vet switch the meds?

I don't have any advice on the meds but YAY Tristana, I am soooooo glad BunBun is going to be ok :party0002:

I was so worried about him, actually about both of you guys. He is an amazing bunny.

Does BunBun have free run 24/7 or does he have a desinated playtime? I'm thinking just add an extra litter box in the bathroom, spare bedroom or something with some food and water and when you have BunBun out you can put the cat in there with the bedroom shut, it's a little more work but that way everyone would be safe and you wouldn't have to rehome anybody...it's such a hard decision :hug1

Actually you should listen to the vet if he is really doing well. I have no idea what the wound looks like .
really watch him carefully for anything that looks slightly red or swollen or for any changes in behavior.
If the baytril is working for him then I would say thatI would not mess with something that is working.

Iknow that Pipp had a bunny with a cat bite and I believe that the vet was using injectable penicillin and chloramphenical which are heavy duty.

Just watch him really closely ; I know that you will anyway and take him back immediately if anything changs for the worse even something small.

you are doing a great job..:)

I am not a fan of rehoming animals but if this cat is a recent addition and is a danger to the rabbits then I would consider rehoming also. ...and he is a danger to rabbits :(

I am not a fan of rehoming animals but if this cat is a recent addition and is a danger to the rabbits then I would consider rehoming also. ...and he is a danger to rabbits :(
Or putting an actual door between the rooms, or at least finding something that will for sure keep the cat out!

Latest posts

Back