So, Rex had a vet appt yesterday...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
To start things off, at our last visit I was given an appointment reminder card, but the appointment itself was never put into the computer. We were just lucky that when we showed up yesterday (for what I thought was a scheduled appointment) they were able to squeeze us in.

We waited for almost 40 minutes.

Dr. G came in, examined Rex, and said - quite simply - there was no improvement. Not that this came as a surprise, of course.

He also said that we have exhausted all of the 'easy' answers, and without further testing, he won't know what it is that we're dealing with.

Which is where I begin to have reservations...

Rex is normally a very gregarious and happy rabbit. But in this past week, just with twice-daily medicating, I have watched him withdraw considerably. "Further testing" would entail general anethesia and a day at the hospital. Can I do that to him?

My gut is absolutely telling me that this is a systemic issue. Is it worth it? Treating a condition only to have him become further isolated?

And for what? He's an old bunny. I don't mean that as a cop-out for treating him, but in the sense that it's not a lifetime ahead of him that we're talking about. It's a few years, at best. He doesn't even have a companion anymore.

I do think that Rex has a great quality of life right now, but part of me really feels that pursuing a diagnosis may in fact diminish that quality of life. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Any advice or input is absolutely appreciated.

:sigh:

I definitely see why you have reservations about the testing. What exactly would be done and how invasive is it?

What has been checked or done so far? Have blood tests been done? How is his thyroid? Xrays?

Is Rex in any discomfort right now? Are there problems such as urine damaging the bare skin, etc.?

Rex is what, 8 years old? I suppose that's old enough to start thinking about quality vs. quantity of life. I haven't been in this position before so I don't really have much advice. If literally everything that can be done without anesethesia and a day at the clinic has been done, then follow your heart.

:hug:

naturestee wrote:
I definitely see why you have reservations about the testing. What exactly would be done and how invasive is it?

Further testing would definitely involve a skin biopsy, which is what necessitates anaesthesia (at least according to the vet).

What has been checked or done so far? Have blood tests been done? How is his thyroid? Xrays?
He's had one blood test that came back normal. I'm not sure if his thyroid was checked then, and I completely forgot to ask yesterday. No X-rays have been done (another procedure that the vet would strongly prefer to have done under anaesthesia - they didn't sedate Peanut for hers and it made reading the films difficult).

Aside from that, he's had at least three clean skin scrapes and a clean fungal culture. He's been treated with Ivermectin, multiple doses of Revolution, and antibiotics. I've also added Nutri-Cal and sunflower seeds to his diet. Nothing has changed.

Is Rex in any discomfort right now? Are there problems such as urine damaging the bare skin, etc.?

No, that's just the thing: he doesn't appear to be affected by his skin issues at all. It's really the treatments and medicating that have him so upset and reclusive. He's always been that way, shutting down whenever he's being handled too much. But left alone he still has his appetite and energy.

So I'm torn between leaving him alone, knowing he's happy, but knowing there's a chance that he'd be very ill and get worse at some point (maybe not so long from now). Or pursuing a diagnosis, knowing that it might make him miserable, but possible lead to a treatment which might make him unhappy, but prolong his life.

Rex is what, 8 years old? I suppose that's old enough to start thinking about quality vs. quantity of life. I haven't been in this position before so I don't really have much advice. If literally everything that can be done without anesethesia and a day at the clinic has been done, then follow your heart. :hug:
Rex is 9, actually. Aside from possibly checking his thyroid levels, at this point we have exhausted all of the non-sedated/non-invasive options.

I need to follow my own advice, I guess. I've always said that When in doubt, spend time with your rabbit. They'll tell you. I'm just going to take a few days with Rex and see how I feel then.

Of course, all further input is greatly appreciated :pink iris:

You know, I've sat back and watched to see what you would find out. A couple of times I wanted to say but didn't....... Rex is an old bunny. If you can't find it right away - don't stress him trying - it might be enough to kill him if he's like mine (they hate going to the vet!) He's having hair issues. It's not like he's got no way of eating or he's not pooping. Putting him under could very well kill him. If it is something more serious - would you put him through surgery or treatment?

What I am saying is - would it be worth it to keep him alive another 3years with miserable stuff going on - or just have 2 years where he's content and not under stress.

So yes, I do see it and I support exactly what you are doing. :hug: I love Rex and I pray he's around for 10 more years at least!

I'd call and ask if they checked for thyroid problems. I know in humans there are medications to help, and if you can hide it in his food so he doesn't get stressed about it that would work out well. But usually with thyroid problems there are other issues, like weight fluctuations.

Since he's still happy and comfortable, I'd be hesitant to put him under anesthesia for a skin biopsy. It just doesn't seem like it would help enough compared to the potential costs.

I have not been following Rex's situation, so I don't know what all his symptoms are, but if he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and is acting good, personally I would leave it at that. Especially for a nine year old bunny.... I would think that at that age, the stress of more testing and mabye meds would do more harm than what is going on with him now.

Emily, Im so sorry you dont have any answers-I know how frustrating that is. I definitely agree with everything you are doing. I think waiting for now and just spending time with him is a great idea.

I also think checking the thyroid is a great idea though next time you are in. For now, Id say as long as everything else is normal I would hold off. I also worry about putting them under when they are that age.

Hugsfor you and your boy

Haley

Hi m.e.; I'm going through the same thing with my cat who is 19 years old. She had a little problem last weekend that turned out to not be an emergency - but my Vet was such a snot and wouldn't treat her (impacted anal glands)without a full physical and they kept stating to me that she really needed the senior blood panel done. I just had it done a little over a year ago and it did show that her kidneys were beginging to slowly fail or not work as well as they could be (but there is nothing you can do for that, except to make sure she is getting plenty of fluids and I do give her SubQ fluids if she get diarrehea).

I hate taking her into the Vet for random testing - stresses her out.. As long as she is eating and stuff comes out both ends; I'm quite content with leaving her be. If she were toinjure herself or stop eating, etc I would take her in for at maxiumum a blood draw but would be completely against anesthesia/surgery/or to stay overnight at the vet - I think that would kill her.

Good luck and you know Rex well enough that by waiting and watching; you will see when changes come up - trust your instincts.. Good luck and please keep updating.

I'll definitely ask about the thyroid testing, because that won't be too invasive. I told Dr. G that I probably wouldn't be getting back to him right away, because graduation is in 10 days and I'll just be too busy until school is finished.

I really, really value everyone's input. Thanks so much :)

Back