So proud of my little brother

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
so my little brother has been obsessed with the idea of getting a dog.

(when i say little, i actually mean he's nearly 19...)

first he wanted to buy a sharpei. i slowly turned him round to the idea of adopting.

then he wanted to adopt a puppy, because he said it would be eaiser than an older dog plus older dogs have "baggage". i kinda told him that an older dog would be better because it's got less of a chance of finding a home plus they are more chilled.

soooo tonight he tells me he's absolutely in LOVE with a seven year old dog called KJ and he now wants to adopt an old dog. so proud of my brother. :)

anyone else have any experiences with adopting dogs?

maxysmummy wrote:
anyone else have any experiences with adopting dogs?

Hi Holly!

We fostered, and then adopted, all of our dogs.

Fostering works well for us, because we get to know the dog before adopting them.
It also helps out the local rescues that are cramped for space and helps socialize the pups, too!

Our first dog was a senior from the shelter where we volunteered.
Her name was Rhea....and she taught us the reason of fostering/adpoting.
We didn't necessaryily need her, but she needed us.
(Rhea has crossed the Bridge...Run free sweety!)

And then we fostered a pup turned in during the Katrina hurricane....Lilah...and ended up adopting her.

Out last addition was Eden....a pup that was left with her mother and siblings at the same shelter that we got Lilah.

Our last three dogs were from shelters. No one wanted them as they were too big. Dogbert, a Doberman Pinscher was 140 pounds and a total sweetheart. He loved the water. We Still have Amy, 140 pound Bullmastiff and very smart. Lastly is Lela, a Great Dane at 120 pounds. The only thing we really wanted was that they have a good temperament.

All of me and my husband's current dogs are adoptions.

Steve adopted his dog, Penny, as an older puppy from a high-kill shelter in Florida. He also adopted his newer pup, Toki, from a privately run rescue locally. Although I generally prefer adopting older dogs myself, I'm glad he picked Toki because she has some major behavioral problems (our vet things she may actually have a hyperactivity disorder, which isn't super common but does happen) and I think anyone else would have gotten rid of her by now.

My dogs, Sophie and Boris, were actually left behind by the people we bought our house from; they said we could keep them or take them to a shelter. Sophie is 13 and Boris is 7 - there's no way they were going to a shelter! They're both fantastic dogs and I love them to bits.

I'm also fostering (though wanting to keep if we have the money, haha) a stray dog that I found on the side of the highway.

all of my dogs (but one) are rescues. my big lab had a rough life. it started when he was born, the owner of the mother would let her run loose and keep the pups in a room (door closed) and would shoot dry kibble down for the pups. their eyes weren't even open yet. slowly the pups started dying off one at a time. the last few pups started foaming at the mouth from dehydration. he ended un burrying them alive. my dog ended up digging his way out. the mans gf ended up finding the dogs and bottle fed them. 3 out of a original 13 survived.

later on a friend of mine took the dog thinking he was mixed pit, a cool looking dog. when he found out he was mixed lab sold the pup to someone else for 50$

3 months later i ran into the owner of the dog, he said he had to go back to the city and had no room for the dog so he was going to dump him on the side of the highway. i was discusted i ended up taking him in even though i was in a 2 1/2 basement apartment.

tyson is almost 8 years old and a great dog. i don't regret taking him in at all.

i got my chihuahua when someone had to get rid of him "today" because of his bad character. if anyone has a chihuahua they know that they're huge dogs in miniature bodies. I've had nacho for almost 3 years and i love his little tough guy attitude.

I got my cane corso,italian mastiff)from someone who thought she was too much of a guard dog for them. What i don't understand is why someone would get a cane corso if they don't want some kind of guard dog! we've had her for 4 years and she's our big baby,but living in the middle of no where it's great having a big scary dog.

And then there's my little pit mixthat we got 5 years ago when we bought our house as a friend for our lab mix. she's not a rescue i guess. she came from a unwanted litter. she's great.

and thats my rescue dogs. i'd have to write another book about my rescue cats :p

Latest posts

Back