So Pero has a quirk...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srecko

Bojan & Danae
Reaction score
And we're wanting it know if it's normal? My boyfriend's family's rabbit Pero hates hay. That's right... Any kind of hay, he hates it. Always has, ever since they got him when he was really young (he's 8 years old now). They've tried all kinds of hay (including Timothy hay) and he'll throw it around and bite it in half but never munches on it. This is odd considering how important hay is to a rabbit's diet and health.

Do any of you know of any rabbits that are this way towards hay?

One of my rabbits wouldn't eat it when I first got him. I had to feed him hay pellets so he was getting hay somehow, and I also kept a small amount of fresh hay in his cage each day. Eventually he started nibbling on it a little at a time so that now, over a year later, he eats it just fine.

Also sometimes if a rabbit is overfed pellets, they aren't very hungry because of that, and that can also stop them from eating much hay. And putting the hay where it is easily accessible can help too.

I had the same problem with Buster when I first got him. He started having health problems because if it. So I started taking away his pellets and his veggies for a couple of hours a day. It worked. I also had to try every hay under the sun. Busters favorite is organic meadow hay and orchard grass, but he only likes those tiny pieces toward the bottom of the bag. It can be a pain sometimes, but now that he eats hay he's sick a lot less 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

If he's 8 years old then he probably won't change his habits now. We have a couple of rabbits who eat very little hay when it's given to them and they stay healthy. Rabbits do get hay through their pellets, just in a different form.

Thanks for your replies, guys! Makes me feel better that he's getting hay in his pellets. It's crazy that he even refuses alfalfa. I thought every rabbit loved alfalfa! :p

Latest posts

Back