So out of curiousity

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive heard about people doing that, but would never do it myself, i think it would be cruel to take a rabbit's means of scratching itself, away from them.

Declawing a rabbit is not a good idea. When you declaw a rabbit, you are essentially amputating the first segment of the toe.

I wouldn't in my life ever even consider declawing a rabbit. For one, it is very cruel. Unlike a cat that can retract their claws, rabbits are always on their nails and it will be very painful for weeks and even months after the declawing. I don't know any reason why it's necessary, and don't know who in their right mind would do it! If you handle the rabbit properly and keep the nails dull by cutting the tip off and maybe even filing them, I seen no reason why you must declaw.

Here's an article about declawing..

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Articles/Declawing%20Rabbits.htm

oh, i forgot to say that what i did is to put a sandpaper on the ramp that connects the 1st and 2nd floor of my bunny's cage, so that everytime he runs up and down, he will trim the nails naturally. i've had it on for a few weeks now, and it does seem to work. i do still need to clip them from time to time, but i would say not as often.

thisfrees me from the bad feelings of accidentally cutting into his quick, because even that can hurt! not to mention declawing, that will be absolutely painful to the bun!

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Lacking pads on the bottoms of their feet, rabbits require their claws for balance, and declawing a rabbit will render it unable to stand, permanently crippling it."

:yeahthat Rabbits arent like cats, the claws arent retractable. Declawing is cruel :-(

Haley

Edit: I have heard of people using those soft paws for cats to put on the ends of the rabbits nails..not sure since Ive never tried it though....

That is so cruel de-clawing. If you want your home to be 'perfect' then dont get a pet.

im not saying this directly at you, just people who even consider de-clawing in general.

I hope it is illegal :)

OK... everyone.. Please in no means think that I was going to declaw our new Lolly. I was just wondering is all. ! Wanted everyone to know I wasnt thinking about it. No worries. ! :)

Back