So MAD!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
So, today, I was out with my mom doing errands this morning. I remembered that I was low on my bunny food, which is MannaPro-PRO, a 50 lb bag i think.

Anyways, we drive to the feed store, which is about 40 minutes from my house, too far of a drive for my mom. I go inside and see that they are out of stock!!! I was furious and I look all around for it in the store. It's a tiny store and very claustrophobic.

So, I go up to the lady at the counter who RUDELY asks "Can I help you?!" I was immediately turned off and knew from that moment that i was taking my business elsewhere in the future. So, I ask if she has the MannaPro in stock. Her husband checks and says they only have one bag of MannaPro Selects which has higher protein, so I said "no".

Then I ask the husband, who appeared to be much nicer and more patient, what food I can get them instead. He pointed to the Blue Seal food. I read the back label and wasnt fond of the nutritional facts and ingredients. I also really liked Sweet Meadow Farm, because it was a local company and I could actually pronounce all of the ingredients, if you know what i mean:biggrin2:. In the end, I chose the Purina Mills Rabbit Chow Complete, green bag.

My thought was: I need to get food today. I also need a food that I can find at Hanson Grain, another local but more organized feed store where I'll be purchasing from in the future. I really wanted Sweet Meadow Farm, but I'm not sure Hanson Grain sells it. I would assume so, since both companies are Massachusetts local. Basically, I wanted a brand that was good and readily available at most feed stores.

I've heard good things about Purina Complete. I really don't want to keep trying out a number of pellet brands. I know it's not good for their tummies, so i would really love to know: should I permanently stick with Purina Complete? Unfortunately, I'm really low on food, so I have no choice but to give them Purina right now. When I get to the end of my bag of Purina, should i stick with it or transition them again back to MannaPro?

Sorry for the long rant. I just want whats best for my babies and had horrible customer service today. :(

-molly

I really am not the person to go to on feeds (I've just stuck with Masterfeed and Oxbow respictivly and it's worked), but to be honest, from what I have read, it sounds like you have overreacted a little on the customer service aspect.

I realise that you must have been frustrated that the feed that you wanted was not in stock, but it sounds like you may have entered the store in a bad mood about the entire situation (Having to travel so far, finding your food out of stock) and the person at the counter may have seen that. I can relate to seeing someone coming to the counter with a demanding attitude and it times, it can be hard to remain polite. The fact that she asked "Can I help you" means she was at least putting in an effort and it seems like you shut her down without really giving her a chance. Everyone out there is just trying to do the job and since her husband is there and it's a small store, I would assume they own it. This means that she would normally be working doubly hard to make a good name for their store.

If it is a tiny store, then something being out of stock should be expected. They have more limited funds, more limited space and they could have had it on order for all you know.

I know you want is best for your buns and that it can be frustrating when something you want isn't there, but I can see someone in that position making it more difficult on the employee you were talking to. From the sounds of it, it wasn't 'horrible' customer service in the least.

No offense to you or anything, and I wasn't physically there and am only going on what you have said here, but I have seen my fair share of both sides of this coin and can generally see it in a more unbiased view. It just sounded like you were overreacting a tad on the matter of service.

Kipcha wrote:
I really am not the person to go to on feeds (I've just stuck with Masterfeed and Oxbow respictivly and it's worked), but to be honest, from what I have read, it sounds like you have overreacted a little on the customer service aspect.

I realise that you must have been frustrated that the feed that you wanted was not in stock, but it sounds like you may have entered the store in a bad mood about the entire situation (Having to travel so far, finding your food out of stock) and the person at the counter may have seen that. I can relate to seeing someone coming to the counter with a demanding attitude and it times, it can be hard to remain polite. The fact that she asked "Can I help you" means she was at least putting in an effort and it seems like you shut her down without really giving her a chance. Everyone out there is just trying to do the job and since her husband is there and it's a small store, I would assume they own it. This means that she would normally be working doubly hard to make a good name for their store.

If it is a tiny store, then something being out of stock should be expected. They have more limited funds, more limited space and they could have had it on order for all you know.

I know you want is best for your buns and that it can be frustrating when something you want isn't there, but I can see someone in that position making it more difficult on the employee you were talking to. From the sounds of it, it wasn't 'horrible' customer service in the least.

No offense to you or anything, and I wasn't physically there and am only going on what you have said here, but I have seen my fair share of both sides of this coin and can generally see it in a more unbiased view. It just sounded like you were overreacting a tad on the matter of service.
I'm a cashier/associate myself and i'm always super nice to every cashier i encounter. This woman was not nice. And she has always been like that every time I go in, even when they're in stock.

I use Purina with my herd (I'm a breeder) - and I go through something like 9 bags every two weeks I think? I use the Purina Show for my lionheads/mix breeds/rescues and Purina Pro for my flemish giants and hollands.

I like Manna Pro a lot also and used it for a while but decided to try and stick with Purina - its been a year now and never had any problems and I like the condition my rabbits are in.

Purina Rabbit Chow Complete is a great food, the one I currently feed my own rabbits. If it's easier to find, and since you have to switch them anyway, I would stick with it. Remember to transition to the new brand as slowly as you possibly can.

[align=center]I use Manna Pro. I was using another pellet brand (and it was timothy based) but it had a really high protein and a lot of corn. When I switched, I tried to make a slow transition but my rabbits just picked the manna pro outta it and just ate that. So much for slow transitions with my buns... XD

I use Purina Rabbit Chow Show 50 lb bag for all my rabbits, Chinchillas & Degu. I have ACE Hardware special order it for me once a month it is cheaper than the feed store I was using.

Can you tell me how long does the Purina Pro Rabbit Chow last after it is opened? Does it get stale? I think I read not to buy a bag that you cant use within a few weeks?
I have 2 rabbits, who are fairly new, and I am still trying to figure out what to use. Right now I am using Vita Rabbit Formula by Subscription..

Can you tell me how long does the Purina Pro Rabbit Chow last after it is opened? Does it get stale? I think I read not to buy a bag that you cant use within a few weeks?
I have 2 rabbits, who are fairly new, and I am still trying to figure out what to use. Right now I am using Vita Rabbit Formula by Subscription..

I put my purina show chow in a container that I can seal up. Kinda like a storage container. I get 2 50lbs bags so I don't have to go out and buy food so often(even though the feed store is down the street). Or you can use gallon ziplock bags and store them in a dry area. Buy 25lb if you're worried about going threw it to slowly

With bags. If you leave it in the bag for a long periods of time the food at the bottome of the bag will start to mold regardless if it's in a wet or dry spot.

I get the BIG ziploc bags from the dollar store and a 50 lb bag will fit in it. I use the big tote containers to keep it in. I take out what I need and force the air out of it then put the lid back on and it stays fresh for awhile. But I go through about a bag a month. I'm feeding 8 rabbits, a Degu and 6 chins with it.

I'm also happy w/ Purina Complete. My Flemishes and Elop love it. I also put it in a plastic storage container w/ a locking lid. I only get 25lbs at a time which fits in the small container I have and it lasts a couple weeks or so w/ 8 buns eating it.

Latest posts

Back