So freaked out right now!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaAndToby

Reaction score
Someone broke into my house, WHILE I WAS HOME.

I heard a knock on the door and answered it, long story short after a talk he put wedged his foot in the door and pushed himself in, I struggled with him for a bit asking him to leave and threatening to call the cops... he persisted. The struggle escalated and I started yelling for my roommates to help, but no one was home. He pushed me into a wall and started walking through the house; I called 911. While I was still talking to the cops he walked around my house, looking at things, and then left about 2 minutes later. I was so scared...

The cops wound up catching him, and apparently he'd been in 3 or 4 other houses in my area. I don't know what the world is coming to where I can't even open my door without being afraid for my safety... I've never been so scared in my life.

Flipping heck! Is he mentally ill or something?? 'cos that sounds really odd, breaking it for no apparent reason...
Are you ok now? You should get one of those door chains installed, if you get nervous about opening the door in future. :(

Thanks guys, I'm completely fine just really shaken up. It happened like 6 hours ago and I still have the shakes haha.

I definitely think the guy was a little off, I spoke with my neighbours about it and they all have weird stories like mine. He even went after one of my neighbours with barbecue tongs... :confused2:

Just a really really weird situation for sure.

We've had things like that happen around town here... There was a guy a few weeks ago who was going around asking to use people's phones and come in from the rain since his car broke down and then he'd rob them. It's such a small college town around here, it's shocking, but I guess people get desperate for money and/or are stupid.

I only once had to force someone away from my apartment.. They were drunk and had the wrong address of the party and kept trying to come in. They at first just opened the door and walked in and were like.. "woah sorry" and walked out. As I was walking over to deadbolt the door they started coming in again and I pushed them out with a hefty door shove and knocked them back and told them they had the wrong address and I'd call the police. I don't care if they were lost to a party, you set foot in my place un-welcomed so I'll shove you out on your bum!

I'm glad you're ok.. I can only imagine how scary it is. I usually keep a softball bat by the door just in case someone needs "persuasion" to leave. Never had to use it but never hurts (me at least). I'm just glad the guy was caught!

That is so scary when someone forced his way into your place, and physically contacted you. Were you hurt when you were pushed against the wall? Good that the police caught him, and hope he stays out of the neighborhood now.

So sorry to hear about what happened! Glad to hear you were not hurt and truly glad to hear that this person was caught.

K:)

So sorry for your scare. That's why our small dog is a Great Dane. Even living in a gated community doesn't prevent it. Last week a homeowner who is also elderly shot and killed a 19 year old with a long record of violence and break ins when the kid kept trying to pry a door open after he climbed a 9 foot fence. Not the same world as when I was young--we never locked our door even when on vacation and my dad always left his keys in the car for convenience.

My dad still leaves the doors unlocked and his keys in his truck. When I was home I'd lock my car and he'd get upset he had to go back inside to find the keys (usually in my purse). But, they're in Alaska and it's just assumed there that any homeowner probably has a gun (especially one as crazy as my father), and he does have many and has pulled them out on many occasions to spook off bears and people prowling around (and even a friend's harrassing bf that wouldn't leave the driveway)

My dad could be wielding a toilet brush and I'd be scared off, honestly.

Hopefully you got some sleep, Marisa!

Glad you guys are okay! Geez, was the guy drunk or tripping balls? Flipping heck is right!

I have a very bad part of my past where a stranger assaulted me in a similar situation when I was still in high school. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I still have night terrors to this day from it and have to take anxiety meds! :(

SUPER hugs.

You need to hire the Monty Python white rabbit to train Toby to attack and slay.

Thanks everyone, and sorry to hear that Sammy :( It's so sad that we have to be so distrustful of others in this day and age. It's a scary time if you ask me.

I've calmed down a great deal, and I even got a second job today after I aced the interview! :) Things are turning around for me finally, maybe 2012 won't be so bad afterall.

Grrl...glad to hear you're okay. Stuff like that's scary as hell. Might be worth grabbing some pepper spray at some point....always a good thing to have handy....but glad you and the Tobster are okay.

And congrats on the job!

Wow how scary! Definitely don't answer the door next time if it is someone you don't know.

heh I keep a sword (it's fake but you can't tell unless you really look) by my bedroom door.

qtipthebun wrote:
Grrl...glad to hear you're okay. Stuff like that's scary as hell. Might be worth grabbing some pepper spray at some point....always a good thing to have handy....but glad you and the Tobster are okay.

And congrats on the job!

:yeahthat:

They make some that you can put on your car keychains, too!

Get a good peephole & don't open your door unless you know the person. Those chains on the door can easily be broken by a strong guy. It's unpleasant to be distrustful, but better safe than sorry. That guy was nutty, but some people can be very devious; like wearing brown & having a fake package to look like a UPS delivery person. So you have to say through the door just leave the package there & if he says you have to sign, if you don't see the signing netpad, still don't open the door. The worse that can happen then is he's genuine & leaves a note for redelivery.

ArdenBunny wrote:
qtipthebun wrote:

And congrats on the job!

:yeahthat:

They make some that you can put on your car keychains, too!
Pepper spray is illegal to have here in Canada. We have bear spray but its illegal to use against people.

This is why I'm glad my dog barks when someone comes to the door. Its annoying but I know it would help if any creepy people came around the house.

Latest posts

Back