So Fiesta brand is a no no?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
I've read a couple of posts and it seems that Fiesta brand food isn't any good for rabbits. Is this right? I've been giving it to my mini lop since I had him, was the only stuff he would eat back then. I'm going to switch him to straight pellets. Anyone recommend a brand?

Also what should I feed a very young dwarf rabbit? I'm not sure of the exact age but it's really small, about the size of my palm and a half.

Yup, junky treat bits in pellets are bad. I feed my buns, which are all adult, Oxbow Bunny Basics/T, which is a high quality timothy pellet. My personal favorite brand ever. In general, adult rabbits do better with 15% or less protein (although some still do well at 16%) and at least 18% fiber, the more the better. Other common but decent pet store brands are Kaytee Timothy Complete and Martin's Less Active. I think Zupreem is supposed to be pretty good too, but it's new and I don't know as much about it.

Rabbits that are still growing should be on alfalfa pellets. 15-16% protein, at least 18% fiber. Oxbow makes a good pellet. If I remember right, Mazuri isn't bad. Most other brands in pet stores are crud. Seriously not worth the money. It's much better to go to a feed store and get one of the brands made for show breeders, such as Purina High Fiber, Manna Pro, Blue Seal, or Heinhold. Some stores sell smaller bags, or you could ask them if it would be possible to break up a large bag for you.

I was feeding Mazuri and my buns seemed to really like it but I couldn't find it in a larger quanity locally and it was too expensive to continue feeding ($7.99for a five pound bag) I switched to a brand called Kent which I think is the same as Blue Seal (just made in a different area) I buy it at the local feed store in 25 pound bags and it's under $15.00 and the best part is my buns like it :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm so mad I've been feeding my bunny Fiesta now for so long. The only stores near me are Petsmart and another local pet chain, Animal Kingdom. I know petsmart doesn't have any of the brands you guys suggested. I got to check the other store and hopefully they have the right brands suggested. If not, is there a place I can order them online??

Hi our pet stores in Canada sell Kaytee Pelets.

Susan:bunnydance:

They have kaytee pellets here in New York at Petsmart. Is that a good brand? I saw that Oxbow sells their pellets online, might do that.

Oxbow is a very good food but it is a bit on the pricey side especially if you have a large amount of animals to feed.

The price doesn't bother me, it's waiting for the food to come that does. If I can get something local I'd rather do that. Is Kaytee brand any good for young rabbits?

I never had a problem with Oxbow and slow delivery. If I remember correctly I would order on line pay by credit card and have my order in approx. three days.

Kaytee is a decent brand. If I were buying from a petstore that is what I would buy.

I actually found out that the other pet store has Oxbow. Going to pick up a bag later. Thanks for the help guys :)

thegooch69 wrote:
I know petsmart doesn't have any of the brands you guys suggested.

I get my Kaytee Timothy Complete at Petsmart.

Before that I used to feed Smokey Nutraphase - a Petsmart brand of alfalfa pellet and he loved them. I think it was called Nutraphase Complete and not Gold that had a lot of the extra "treats" in it. I only switched over as he got closer to his first birthday and I wanted him to be on a higher fiber / less protein mixture.

I found a new Timothy pellets made by Sunseed. It is not yet listed in their website.

SUNSEED SUNSCRIPTION VITA+PLUS
Rabbit Formula for adult rabbits

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min) 12.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (max) 35.00 %
Moisture (max) 14.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.2 %
Salt (min) 0.45 %
Salt (max) .95 %
Vitamin A, IU/lb 3,500
Vitamin D, IU/lb 300
Vitamin E, IU/lb 30

Ingredients

Dehydrated Timothy Meal, Soybean Hulls,Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Yeast Culture, Cane Molasses, Ground Corn Cob, Wheat Middlings,Chopped Timothy Hay, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Banana, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Papaya, Calcium Carbonate, Yucca Schidigera Extract,Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, Ground Wheat, Salt, Spirulina ...

Blurb: It has the lowest Protein and Fat content I've seen in the guaranteed analysis. And yet it has the highest max fiber.

It cost $10.50 for a 4 lb. bag.
The only question I wonder about is the ground corn ingredient which is up to debate.
However Pebbles still prefers her Martins Little Friend Less Active.

When I was feeding that brand (Sunseed), not realizing I was feeding alfalpha, the store I got them at didn't even carry their timothy ones:(. But, I really like the Oxbow/T that I feed now and so do the buns:).

I would call your local pet stores (call all of them to compare) and see how much they would charge to order you a 50 lb bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics T. Mine orders me a bag for $38.00 with shipping, so its an awesome deal. I checked on Oxbow's website and it was going to be much more to ship it to me directly. Definitely check into that!

Depending on where everyone is, I would also highly recommend checking out Tradition Rabbit Feed. I'll post the link for their site here. If you find a dealer near you, they will usually be able to get it for you within 2-3 days.

I use Tradition Chinchilla Feed for all my chins; it comes in 50lb bags and lasts me about a month. I'd like to use it for Georgie, but 50lbs would take a long time to get through!

http://hubbardfeeds.com/

I think it's well worth checking out!

Latest posts

Back