So excited!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Gosh, guys...

There are so many more animals that are legal to own here! I can have gerbils again!!

Once we have our own place, I'm going to get a few, and Em's deciding if she wants either a hedgehog or a teddybear hamster. AWESOME!!

I'm so thrilled...none of those animals (and many more) were legal to own in California...so this is AWESOME!!

:D:D:D

On that note, anyone know of good, reputable places here that I can get gerbils, and hedgehogs or teddybear hamsters?

Hey! I think I know of some people who are in Canada in your area with gerbils. But I'm not totally 100% sure. I do know someone in Washington! :p

I'll look for you and get back to you!

Thank you so much! I've found a gerbil site, but I'm not seeing any people near me that have gerbils. I'd rather not buy one from a pet store, but if that's the only route we can do, so be it.

Thanks for your help!! :D

Defiantly avoid PJ's Pet shop. I have been to the one in West Edmonton Mall a couple (6ish) years ago and it didn't look so good. I have not had much luck with Petland Gerbils either.
The Humane Society may have some available. Right now, they seem to have a couple. I think they also have a hamster, but I think it is a dwarf.
You would probably want to find a breeder for a hedgehog.
Check out websites like Craigslist or Kijiji. There might me some re-homes on there.

You could get a Ferret too if you wanted, just no rats.

maherwoman wrote:
I'm so thrilled...none of those animals (and many more) were legal to own in California...so this is AWESOME!!

didja mean illegal:p?

and personally, i'd recommend getting your daughter either rats, gerbils or even mice. i had several hamsters and didn't enjoy any of them that much. one of them bit my little sister so bad it swelled up and got infected. just a word of warning, i was so upset when they didn'twork out;).i know ratties are sweet and i had four mice when i was about 7 that i adored:).

BTW, how's Teddy doin'? i was sooo jealous when you got him:D. i might just have to come bunny nap him.....:nasty::ph34r2

LadyBug wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

and personally, i'd recommend getting your daughter either rats, gerbils or even mice. i had several hamsters and didn't enjoy any of them that much. one of them bit my little sister so bad it swelled up and got infected. just a word of warning, i was so upset when they didn'twork out;).i know ratties are sweet and i had four mice when i was about 7 that i adored:).
I believe that what she said is correct. None of the animals listed are legal in California. It basically means that they are illegal.

Although rats can make good pets, they are illegal in Alberta. We don't even have wild rats here.

Wow, gerbils are illegal to own in California? I didn't know that. And I thought Illinois was annoying cause they won't let you have a pet skunk here, LOL. I'm glad you are happy in your new home, congrats!

I know someone that breeds African soft furred rats. They look kind of like gerbils and are pretty cute.

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Animal, African Soft Furred Rat.htm

I also would recommend checking out the Edmonton Humane society. They usually have hamsters, gerbils and mice.

I have a hamster and they dont' make the best pets for kids, a gerbil would be a better choice. Hamsters sleep all day and are rather boring. Mine hardly comes out during the day except if wake him up when I feed him. Then he comes out drinks, takes his food and goes back into his hole. They can also be bitey if they arne't trained to be handled from when they are young, but thats true for any small "pocket pet".

Teddybear hamsters are legal, I think.
I thought all kinds of hamsters were legal here.

Basically anything not specifically listed as legal is illegal to have as a pet here.
I've always wanted a gerbil, or ferret, or hedgehog.

WOW! I didn't know those things were illegal in CA. I do know a family member out there had a problem with gerbils from someone releasing them in their back yard when they leased out their home.

We can have all of those things here in the midwest...... just no prairie dogs.

Yep...gerbils, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc. are illegal in California. Before I brought home Maisie, I was looking everywhere for a gerbil (well, at least two), and couldn't find them ANYWHERE. So, I looked it up, and sure enough...illegal. I was so heartbroken!

BUT...they are legal here, so I'm happy.

To be honest, Em's more into the idea of a hedgehog...but I know nothing about them, so we'll see what happens. I'm just worried about a gerbil for her, due to how tricky they are! Stinky little goofs! I remember when I got them when I was 12...bought the plastic cage with tubes and neat stuff...they chewed through it overnight, and were hoppin' around my room, all happy to be out and being silly. Hehe!! THAT DAY we went out and got their aquarium. :) They were tricky to keep in there, too! Took us months to figure out the right combination of things to keep them from getting out.

I was more wanting the gerbils for myself, hehe! :)

I'll do some research on hedgehogs. Not sure what they're all about, and what they eat and such. I've had fun seeing what things gerbils can eat! :)

I'll check out the Edmonton Humane Society. Thank you!! :)

LOL! Gerbils are fun! We had a gerbil that lived about 5 years! she was hilarious but we called her "Cinnamon, the evil Gerbil from H3LL!" Yes, that is how we said her name all the time unless we just called her "evilness" LOL! she was SO sweet early on.... she would sit and watch me on the computer and stuff like that, but man! when she got older she got meaner! We loved her to pieces tho! I still miss her! I could sit and watch her digging around and stuff for ages!

slavetoabunny wrote:
A friend of mine had a hedgehog and, to be honest, it really was very boring. They sleep all day and only get active late at night.
Ditto to what two people I know have said. I want one still though. Once the gps pass we will be looking into one. :biggrin2:

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

I believe that what she said is correct. None of the animals listed are legal in California. It basically means that they are illegal.

Although rats can make good pets, they are illegal in Alberta. We don't even have wild rats here.

oh boy! sorry about that, i see what she was saying now, i have type 1 diabetes and last night my blood sugar was super high(about 360 when i posted that, it's supposed to be 80-130) and it fries my brain:scared:. i should have put a disclaimer on all my posts, LOL:rollseyes

Rosie, you have to feed live insects(meal worms and crickets, i think) to hedgies.....i looked into them one time and it just seemed like too much bother, which is how i know:p. and Patti's right, they're nocturnal:(

irishbunny wrote:
Wow, I can't believe some small pets are illegal in some places! Why is that?
Because if they get loose, the conditions of the area could able them to live and reproduce and potentially become a problem.

I'll never move to Cali! I love my gerbils! :p

I lived in California for about 15 years. They have many strange laws regarding pet ownership. The exotic vet I had there would treat ferrets, even though they are illegal.

Back