So close, yet so far away...PIC ADDED!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorbyJobRabbits

Reaction score
I have shown pics of my Harlequin buck I bought. They said they made me a deal on him because he is so badly stained from another rabbit peeing on him. He came with one Leg which he won in '08. I thought it was a bit odd they didn't bother to show him again?

So at todays show, I went up north because two harlie breeders were helping me out and getting me started on my way. They both checked him out and had nothing but praise about him saying how great the markings were and that for the most part it was clean.

The lady didn't bring hers to show, just what she was selling to me, and the boy brought his since he'd have atleast one rabbit to compete against. Mine was the ONLY one that got points for everything alternating like it was suppose to. So as the judge went over everything and told me everything good about him, his hind quarters needs work, but great rabbit. DISQUALIFIED!

So we're all standing there like WTF? Apparently his teeth are badly messed up. My own stupidity for not checking, but I found out why he was a steal pretty much. They looked as though they had been busted and they never bothered to fix them. I was devestated because I have worked so hard since I got him to get those stains cleared up and was so excited he would get another Leg today...and his teeth =(

His teeth sit slanted instead of straight across. The Harlie lady would have trimmed them for me except she didn't have the clippers there.

So now I'm on the hunt for someone in my area who knows how to do the teeth properly and get him fixed up for upcoming shows.

Oh! and 8 new bunnies. Will have picsys asap!

Oh man!!!!!!!! That suuuckkkkkssssss :(
Im sorry, but youll be able to get his teeth all better and Im sure he will WIN next time!

And yes, pics pleaaaase!

slanted or butting.

because as far as I know, slanting isn't a problem and shouldn't have been DQ'd? My rabbits ALL have slanted teeth (because they either pull on the wire, or do other stupid, stupid netherlandy things) Free-fed hay is suppose to fix it right up, but I haven't been free feeding hay long enough to tell you that myself.

He honestly doesn't really chew on anything. He's just a super relaxed rabbit and hadn't chewed on stuff in his cage. I had thought it weird before that he didn't chew on stuff. I'll try to get pics of his teeth, they're pretty bad. It'll probably be late this afternoon cause I'll need randy to take the pic while I hold him.

and the third picture is kinda what they look like just more overgrown:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/tooth_pic_3.gif

It sounds like he has malocclusion, aka "Tusk teeth"which is a tooth problem, you will need to trim his teeth or they might get to long that you wont be able to.

I know, I'm trying to find someone around my area that has trimmed them. I personally haven't and just want to find someone who does. It's still too early in the morning to call but I'm hoping the person I found will do it.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
I know, I'm trying to find someone around my area that has trimmed them. I personally haven't and just want to find someone who does. It's still too early in the morning to call but I'm hoping the person I found will do it.
:/ I suggest never breeding him. That sounds harsh but malocclusion can be genetic and trust me when I say it's terrible to watch an animal suffer from a bad case that can't be solved with trimming. He'll pass it down to his kits and its not very desirable to tell a buyer, "You need to trim its teeth.".

A Vet will do them but you should find someone who will teach you how to do it yourself. It will cost big time to keep his teeth trimmed otherwise. Good luck. :C

It's NOT genetic or atleast that was the ruling of the judge and the 2 breeders there with me. They examined them for quite a while because he is such a nicely marked harlie. They were all positive it isn't genetic. The teeth just were not taken care of after they were broke or something before and just need trimmed and taken care of.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
It's NOT genetic or atleast that was the ruling of the judge and the 2 breeders there with me. They examined them for quite a while because he is such a nicely marked harlie. They were all positive it isn't genetic. The teeth just were not taken care of after they were broke or something before and just need trimmed and taken care of.

Ok I see now. Some cases are and some cases aren't. I'm glad they rules it as physical indecent! Sorry about your show going badly.

Pic of teeth. Sorry not very good. And they look worse the way I'm holding him.

fd9irs.jpg

They aren't terrible thankfully. Is there a breeder near you or a judge who can show you how to clip?

thats what i've been trying to find lol. I'm waiting to hear from 2 people. Not many rabbit breeders around me. And I've had 3 say they just get rid of them if their teeth need clipped. Sooo hopefully I'll find someone soon.

Latest posts

Back